Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 10th November 2009
Administrator

Liked 1,568 Times in 900 Posts
Question Water & Shadows

Using a cone of black card to "snoot" the flash and a few "wet runs" (the dry runs were just to get the shadows in the right place) this worked out better than I thought it would. It was done as a try out for something similar that I want to do, so any constructive comments will be appreciated.

Thanks

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 10th November 2009

Thanked 1,149 Times in 1,024 Posts
Liked 1,230 Times in 800 Posts
Re: Water & Shadows

like it great effect can you give some detail of the snoot and flash set up? This might solve a problem I have for lighting a subject.
wee man
Old 10th November 2009

Liked 37 Times in 12 Posts

Hi Graham

I have no experience to fall back on to comment in detail so I apologise for that.

Taking it from a viewers point of view, this seems to me to be full of mystery - an intriguing image.

The clarity of the subject and the outline shadow create the air of mystery by being total contrasts. It works well in the B?W format you have chosen too. Colour would spoil it. The second mystery is the direction of the flash - left to right. I take it you used a remote flash for this shot?

I am sorry I cannot expand further but it looks right and draws your attention.

Well done and thanks for sharing.

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/
Old 11th November 2009

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts

Graham I like the idea and exicutation but I would like to see the colour version as I think it may work better, the b&w just seems to predominantly consist of midtones which seem to make the image look a little tonaly flat to me.

I'm sorry to sound so negative but most b&w's (not all) need a range of tones from white (not just specular highlights) to black to succeed and this just does not do it for me.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/
Old 11th November 2009
Administrator

Liked 1,568 Times in 900 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Water & Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee man View Post
like it great effect can you give some detail of the snoot and flash set up? This might solve a problem I have for lighting a subject.
wee man
I refuse to pay 30 for a bit of plastic, when a 1" wide, standard roll of sticky tape with a 3" diameter cardboard tube, will squeez down perfectly to fit over the FL-50 flashgun. 4 paper clips hold an A4 sheet of black card to the tape tube, which is rolled into a cone, again held in place with paper clips. Completely adjustable and adaptable for all sorts of DIY GOBOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterD View Post
Hi Graham

I have no experience to fall back on to comment in detail so I apologise for that.

Taking it from a viewers point of view, this seems to me to be full of mystery - an intriguing image.

The clarity of the subject and the outline shadow create the air of mystery by being total contrasts. It works well in the B?W format you have chosen too. Colour would spoil it. The second mystery is the direction of the flash - left to right. I take it you used a remote flash for this shot?

I am sorry I cannot expand further but it looks right and draws your attention.

Well done and thanks for sharing.
Peter, I'm so pleased that you have this view of the image. It reminded me of the cover shot of "Band on the Run" with the subject caught in the spotlight, which is exactly the effect I want. Thanks for that observation. And yes it was done with the FL-50R in remote mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_S View Post
Graham I like the idea and exicutation but I would like to see the colour version as I think it may work better, the b&w just seems to predominantly consist of midtones which seem to make the image look a little tonaly flat to me.

I'm sorry to sound so negative but most b&w's (not all) need a range of tones from white (not just specular highlights) to black to succeed and this just does not do it for me.
Paul, You are spot on about B&W and the need to have a good tonal range. This was shot in RAW but in a B&W environment, as a test setup for eventually shooting it with slide film. Getting the exposure right for projection in a darkend room will need a bit of "dialing in"

I very much appreciate these comment, they all provide good food for thought, which help towards getting it right.

Thank you

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 11th November 2009
DannyH

Graham, very nice image. You have taken a simple subject and made it very interesting with tones and movement. It shows that you have put thought into the image as a whole. The only small item I would have liked to see was the base of the glass, as what I do see has interesting reflections off it, but you may have wanted the crop you did for other reasons.