Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-500

Olympus E-500 E-500 specific discussion.

Old 16th October 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: I've somehow turned off the lcd

Have you managed to fix it?
Old 16th October 2009
Moneypenny2k

Nope it's gone to the camera shop, not only can't I get the lcd back but the focus isn't right. 9 times out of 10 when I connect the lens the focus doesn't work. I took the camera in fully thinking it was going to be one of those situations where they push a button and say no, you've got it wrong you're meant to do this. However, the guy in the camera shop couldn't get it to work either so I'm not a happy bunny, wanted to be out capturing all the beautiful autumn colours this weekend... C'est la vie.
Old 17th October 2009

Liked 106 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneypenny2k View Post
..... not only can't I get the lcd back but the focus isn't right. 9 times out of 10 when I connect the lens the focus doesn't work.
I don't understand your LCD problem. As already stated, this camera never had liveview, the only way to compose a shot is through the viewfinder.

Re: the focus problem, have you checked the lens and camera body contacts? Use a pencil eraser to clean them. Have you tried a different lens?

Steve
Old 17th October 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Nope it's gone to the camera shop
To be honest, if I bought a camera from somebody and it didn't work properly I'd expect them to fix it.
Old 17th October 2009

Liked 1,597 Times in 1,018 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckdiver View Post
I don't understand your LCD problem. As already stated, this camera never had liveview, the only way to compose a shot is through the viewfinder.
I agree - the E-500 never had any form of 'live-view' and there is no way whatsoever it could be implemented!

I think the O.P. has got confused somewhere.

Jim
Old 17th October 2009
Administrator

Thanked 3,140 Times in 2,449 Posts
Liked 4,437 Times in 2,104 Posts

Although the E500 never had Live View it did have a "Test Picture Without Saving" mode (a sort of an image preview) which could be assigned to the one touch white balance button via the custom menu. This is NOT Live View, but it may be what Moneypenny was seeing. It's the only explanation I can think of.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 18th October 2009
Moneypenny2k

Thanks for the help people.

As I've said in other posts, I'm really new to dSLR so maybe I have got it wrong.

What Zuiko says makes sense as the live view I was seeing disappeared when I was playing with settings. That's made me feel better lol

As for getting the vendor to fix it. I'd already said that I was happy with the camera, it worked fine the first time I put it together. This is one of those intermittent problems. I'll wait to hear what the camera shop says is wrong before I go back to the vendor.
Old 18th October 2009

Liked 1,597 Times in 1,018 Posts

The lens failing to communicate with the camera body is a not uncommon problem with the E-500. It's recommended that the lens release button is _not_ pressed when refitting the lens.

Be aware that the camera shop may have very (or non-existent) experience with Olympus cameras, and may just effectively shrug and say it's broken and a matter for the manufacturers!

Jim
Old 19th October 2009
Moneypenny2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
The lens failing to communicate with the camera body is a not uncommon problem with the E-500. It's recommended that the lens release button is _not_ pressed when refitting the lens.

Be aware that the camera shop may have very (or non-existent) experience with Olympus cameras, and may just effectively shrug and say it's broken and a matter for the manufacturers!

Jim
Yes I'm aware of this and have been very careful not to press the lens release button when putting the lens on. Fingers crossed the camera shop can find what's wrong
Old 22nd October 2009
Moneypenny2k

Had feedback from the camera shop. They are saying that it is the connectors that are at fault and that they think at some point something has been spilt on the camera. What say the wise owls out there? Is it worth 96 to fix?
Old 22nd October 2009
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Had feedback from the camera shop. They are saying that it is the connectors that are at fault and that they think at some point something has been spilt on the camera. What say the wise owls out there? Is it worth 96 to fix?
Though I don't know the E-500, I'd actually say no this isn't worth it - there's an E-510 body only going on here for just 100. Personally, I'd put the money towards a replacement / upgrade.

Old 22nd October 2009
EH1

Smile Re: I've somehow turned off the lcd

Quote:

NO! It`s not worth it!
Old 22nd October 2009
Moneypenny2k

Thanks for the feedback guys. Sadly the body has gone already but thanks for telling me.
Old 22nd October 2009
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback guys. Sadly the body has gone already but thanks for telling me.
Keep an eye out on here and on FTU, as they do come up for sale regularly.

Also, you might like to make a post in the wanted section asking if someone has one for sale...?

Old 22nd October 2009
Administrator

Thanked 3,140 Times in 2,449 Posts
Liked 4,437 Times in 2,104 Posts

I definitely wouldn't pay for the repair. If it is just the preview facility that's failed (and it sounds like it is) it's no great loss. I never used it on mine and wouldn't miss it. If everything else is working O.K. use the camera, it'll still give you gret pictures!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau