Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!


Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 16th November 2007
theMusicMan's Avatar
theMusicMan theMusicMan is offline
E-3 Enthusiast....:)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: South Wales
Posts: 5,878
Thanks: 143
Thanked 267 Times in 178 Posts
Likes: 8
Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
Portrait: Look Into My Eyes...

Hi All

Here's a portrait I took recently on one of my Playgroup visits, but I now need to find out how to use the Photoshop spot heal tool!! I want to remove the biscuit crumbs from the little girls mouth and don't know how!!

Here's the image for your feedback pls - another hi-key one from me



Any advice on using Photoshop spot heal (or other more appropriate) tool greatly appreciated folks.

Ta
__________________
John

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 16th November 2007
beardedwombat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Portrait: Look Into My Eyes...

Zoom the image area to around 300%, select the spot heal tool, click the little arrow on the brush drop down box and make the diameter 10 pixels, hardness should be ok at 100%, spacing 25%. Simply click on each spot and the tool samples the surrounding pixels and makes the spot the same. Or use the clone tool. Fabulous image, love the eyes!
Chris
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 16th November 2007
theMusicMan's Avatar
theMusicMan theMusicMan is offline
E-3 Enthusiast....:)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: South Wales
Posts: 5,878
Thanks: 143
Thanked 267 Times in 178 Posts
Likes: 8
Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
Re: Portrait: Look Into My Eyes...

Thanks for the advice there Chris, and for the comments - much appreciated.

How's this one...

__________________
John

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 16th November 2007
beardedwombat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Portrait: Look Into My Eyes...

There you go! Once you figure out or someone shows you how to use the tools in Photoshop it is relatively easy to correct images. The problem is that there is so much to the programme, I have only scratched the surface myself. I am still trying to properly get to grips with layers and masks.
Cheers
Chris
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 16th November 2007
Barr1e's Avatar
Barr1e Barr1e is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 45kms NW of London
Posts: 4,288
Thanks: 299
Thanked 373 Times in 251 Posts
Likes: 1,133
Liked 741 Times in 260 Posts
Re: Portrait: Look Into My Eyes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardedwombat View Post
There you go! Once you figure out or someone shows you how to use the tools in Photoshop it is relatively easy to correct images. The problem is that there is so much to the programme, I have only scratched the surface myself. I am still trying to properly get to grips with layers and masks.
Cheers
Chris
Hi Chris -

I would like to learn how to convert an image into b+w and then add colour to say a coat or a post box. I think that is made possible by the layers method?

Regards. Barr1e
__________________
Just like that - gone in a flash! Now in use.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 16th November 2007
emirpprime
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Portrait: Look Into My Eyes...

There are many ways of doing this Barr1e, and its partly down to personal preference. But before going further with the steps I wanted to clarify something, do you want to remove all colour except form one or more areas? Or remove all colour and then add your own choice of colour (not originally present) to the image? The techniques are slightly different depending.

And yes you were right, while it can be done without layers, using them is the best way to do it.

All the best,
Phil
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 16th November 2007
Barr1e's Avatar
Barr1e Barr1e is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 45kms NW of London
Posts: 4,288
Thanks: 299
Thanked 373 Times in 251 Posts
Likes: 1,133
Liked 741 Times in 260 Posts
Re: Portrait: Look Into My Eyes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by emirpprime View Post
There are many ways of doing this Barr1e, and its partly down to personal preference. But before going further with the steps I wanted to clarify something, do you want to remove all colour except form one or more areas? Or remove all colour and then add your own choice of colour (not originally present) to the image? The techniques are slightly different depending.

And yes you were right, while it can be done without layers, using them is the best way to do it.

All the best,
Phil
Hi Phil -

The former it is, ie 'remove all colour except from one or more areas'.

Regards. Barr1e
__________________
Just like that - gone in a flash! Now in use.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 17th November 2007
beardedwombat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Portrait: Look Into My Eyes...

Hi Barr1e, This is quite easy to do. Assuming you have your image open in Photoshop right click on the 'background' layer in the layers tab and select 'duplicate layer', click ok. You now have two layers the same. Make sure the top layer is selected and go to image/adjustments/channel mixer. Click the 'monochrome' box bottom left corner and the layer will turn b&w, adjust the red/green/blue/ sliders to achieve the look you like and click ok. Now zoom in as required, select the eraser tool (opacity & flow 100%) and adjust the size as appropriate and simply "rub out" the area where you wish to reveal the colour from the layer below, do this in stages so you can step back using the history tab if you "rub out" the wrong bit. Go to Layer/flatten image and 'save as'. Let us see the result!

Here's one I prepared earlier, you may recognize it!!

Cheers
Chris
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 17th November 2007
Barr1e's Avatar
Barr1e Barr1e is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 45kms NW of London
Posts: 4,288
Thanks: 299
Thanked 373 Times in 251 Posts
Likes: 1,133
Liked 741 Times in 260 Posts
Re: Portrait: Look Into My Eyes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardedwombat View Post
Hi Barr1e, This is quite easy to do. Assuming you have your image open in Photoshop right click on the 'background' layer in the layers tab and select 'duplicate layer', click ok. You now have two layers the same. Make sure the top layer is selected and go to image/adjustments/channel mixer. Click the 'monochrome' box bottom left corner and the layer will turn b&w, adjust the red/green/blue/ sliders to achieve the look you like and click ok. Now zoom in as required, select the eraser tool (opacity & flow 100%) and adjust the size as appropriate and simply "rub out" the area where you wish to reveal the colour from the layer below, do this in stages so you can step back using the history tab if you "rub out" the wrong bit. Go to Layer/flatten image and 'save as'. Let us see the result!

Here's one I prepared earlier, you may recognize it!!

Cheers
Chris
Hi Chris -

Who could miss that image.

Thanks for the details. We have been in the shops for almost six hours today and just sitting down with a mug of Tetley (tea). The beer comes later with the Indian. If I get time today I'll post the results.

Again thanks so much.

Kindest regards. Barr1e.
__________________
Just like that - gone in a flash! Now in use.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 17th November 2007
Barr1e's Avatar
Barr1e Barr1e is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 45kms NW of London
Posts: 4,288
Thanks: 299
Thanked 373 Times in 251 Posts
Likes: 1,133
Liked 741 Times in 260 Posts
Re: Portrait: Look Into My Eyes...

Hi Chris -

I forgot to say I was using Photoshop Elements 5.

Following your instructions in a sort of roundabout way (Elements 5 way that is) when I flatten the image I end up with this. Where do you think I went wrong (needle please!)


B
__________________
Just like that - gone in a flash! Now in use.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 17th November 2007
emirpprime
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Portrait: Look Into My Eyes...

Im afraid I don't have elements to hand to look at, but if you post a quick version of what you did it may become clear. It looks like either both layers were erased or it erased to white instead of transparent. Did it only go like this when flattening?
Incidentally there is no need to flatten seperately, it should happen automatically when saving to jpeg (but tiffs/psds will preserve layers).

Phil
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 17th November 2007
Barr1e's Avatar
Barr1e Barr1e is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 45kms NW of London
Posts: 4,288
Thanks: 299
Thanked 373 Times in 251 Posts
Likes: 1,133
Liked 741 Times in 260 Posts
Re: Portrait: Look Into My Eyes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by emirpprime View Post
Im afraid I don't have elements to hand to look at, but if you post a quick version of what you did it may become clear. It looks like either both layers were erased or it erased to white instead of transparent. Did it only go like this when flattening?
Incidentally there is no need to flatten seperately, it should happen automatically when saving to jpeg (but tiffs/psds will preserve layers).

Phil
Hi Phil -

First I duplicated the layer.
Then converted to b&w.
Adjusted blue.
Selected eraser and rubbed out the image seen below.
I then flattened - when that occured both thumbnails (layer pix) converted to b&w.
I tried your method of not flattening but saving to jpeg and again I was left with what you see.



Kind regards. B
__________________
Just like that - gone in a flash! Now in use.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 17th November 2007
emirpprime
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Portrait: Look Into My Eyes...

Hi Barr1e,

From the (very helpful) image you provided, the issue looks to be that when erasing it is actually leaving white, not transparency behind. Very strange. I have tried replicating this in Photoshop but couldn't. I would try repeating the process (on a test area even, you don't have to use much care), then select the magic wand tool, and click on the white space you create when erasing. It should then be ringed with marching ants. Then hit your delete key. You should then see your colour from the bottom layer coming through.

Let us know how you get on and i'm sure we'll get to the bottom of this eventually!

Phil

ps, just a thought, if it doesn't work, have a look at the colour swatches at the bottom of the tool palette. Click on the little arrow at the top right of them. They will swap over. Try erasing again. Does it now show a different colour?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 17th November 2007
Barr1e's Avatar
Barr1e Barr1e is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 45kms NW of London
Posts: 4,288
Thanks: 299
Thanked 373 Times in 251 Posts
Likes: 1,133
Liked 741 Times in 260 Posts
Re: Portrait: Look Into My Eyes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by emirpprime View Post
Hi Barr1e,

From the (very helpful) image you provided, the issue looks to be that when erasing it is actually leaving white, not transparency behind. Very strange. I have tried replicating this in Photoshop but couldn't. I would try repeating the process (on a test area even, you don't have to use much care), then select the magic wand tool, and click on the white space you create when erasing. It should then be ringed with marching ants. Then hit your delete key. You should then see your colour from the bottom layer coming through.

Let us know how you get on and i'm sure we'll get to the bottom of this eventually!

Phil

ps, just a thought, if it doesn't work, have a look at the colour swatches at the bottom of the tool palette. Click on the little arrow at the top right of them. They will swap over. Try erasing again. Does it now show a different colour?
Followed your instructions re magic wand/delete and voila.

Thanks for spending time on this Phil and apart from my grateful thanks I'll be pleased to buy you a beer sometime.

I delved in to my rather thick Photoshop Elements 5 (learn Photoshop Elements the Quick and Easy Way! written by Jeff Carlson and Craig Hoeschen) and it is either not in there or I missed it in my haste before asking the forum how it was achieved.

Again thanks.

Kindest regards. Barr1e
__________________
Just like that - gone in a flash! Now in use.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 17th November 2007
Barr1e's Avatar
Barr1e Barr1e is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 45kms NW of London
Posts: 4,288
Thanks: 299
Thanked 373 Times in 251 Posts
Likes: 1,133
Liked 741 Times in 260 Posts
Re: Portrait: Look Into My Eyes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barr1e View Post
Followed your instructions re magic wand/delete and voila.

Thanks for spending time on this Phil and apart from my grateful thanks I'll be pleased to buy you a beer sometime.

I delved in to my rather thick Photoshop Elements 5 (learn Photoshop Elements the Quick and Easy Way! written by Jeff Carlson and Craig Hoeschen) and it is either not in there or I missed it in my haste before asking the forum how it was achieved.

Again thanks.

Kindest regards. Barr1e
And a beer for Chris of course.

B
__________________
Just like that - gone in a flash! Now in use.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Portrait shot: hi-key child portrait theMusicMan Looking for improvement 9 18th January 2008 12:04 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:26 AM.


The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2019, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger