Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 15th December 2018

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Looking for an alternative to Lightroom 6 Map module

Does anyone have a recommendation for an alternative to the Lightroom 6 Map module?
After buying a GPS logger earlier this year and using it with the Map module, Google Maps have made changes which has 'broken' the map display and of course Adobe are no longer supporting Lightroom 6, so I am looking for an equally easy-to-use replacement. To save hours of trying different software, can anyone recommend something that will do the job?
PLEASE do not suggest I subscribe to Lightroom CC - LR6 does all I need and apart from this annoyance I'm very happy with it, apart from refusing to make Adobe even more obscenely rich at my expense.
Old 15th December 2018

Liked 430 Times in 198 Posts
Re: Looking for an alternative to Lightroom 6 Map module

I use Geosetter to transfer my GPS track files (in GPX format) to my image files.

I have LR6 set up to create .XMP side-car files for all my ORF images.
When Geosetter matches the track points to your image files it writes the update to the XMP file (so doesn't modify the ORF in any way). The original side-car files get preserved (i.e. renamed as .xmp_original) and a replacement .xmp containing the GPS coordinates is created.
When you subsequently re-open your image folder in LR6, you choose the menu option= Metadata -> Read Metadata from file(s)
...and the GPS info will then be copied into the LR catalogue, enabling you to view the image locations using the Map module.
Hope this helps.
Old 16th December 2018

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Re: Looking for an alternative to Lightroom 6 Map module

Thanks for the suggestion Chris - it looks like a very complete programme. I can still geotag my images in Lightroom 6 - that part still works, but Google maps no longer display which is annoying, so this looks like a very good substitute.
P.S. Any other tried and tested suggestions are still welcome while I get to grips with Geosetter.
Old 19th December 2018

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Looking for an alternative to Lightroom 6 Map module

Update:
Through a link on the GeoSetter page provided by Chris I found Jeffrey Friedlís Lightroom Plugin 'Geoencoding Support' which appears to do as much - and more - than the now defunct MAP module and works with Lightroom all the way back to v3.0.

http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goo...#comment-58722

It is 'donationrware' so costs as much as you think it is worth. I'm still evaluating but am 95% sure it will do all I want.

Tags
geotagging, map module, maps