Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 13th October 2017

Liked 1,382 Times in 810 Posts
Re: Took the plunge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
The lack of obsolescence is one of the great benefits of film. You get a new sensor with every exposure, and it doesn't cost much to change sensors!

But of course that doesn't sit well with current business models, which simply couldn't exist with photographers changing cameras once every ten years whether they needed to or not.

It should have been obvious that this was unsustainable in the long term, but then most executives only keep their jobs on this quarter's results, so next year doesn't matter.

With regard to cars and the new-fangled electronics they come with, there is only so much that you can do with a tin box on wheels.

I am perfectly happy to drive a good car for ten years provided it remains safe and reliable, but that isn't what the industry wants. Hence we are constantly drip-fed with new gadgets that are intended to make last year's models out of date. And small cars now have all the gadgets that big, luxury cars once had, such as SatNav and Climate Control, at prices which in real terms are much lower than ten or twenty years ago.
There is a valid point here, too. NCAP. The latest cars are much better regarding survivability in accidents. (Not that you buy a car to crash it!) Now that's a very good use of technology, and the occupants don't even register that the technology is there - until they need it. The latest generation of cars also are much more efficient in their use of fossil fuels; again, the occupants aren't aware of that. (Driver may be!) I'd much rather see technology used liked that, not for providing unnecessary bells and whistles.
The Following User Liked This Post:
TRIPLEPOT (14th October 2017)
Old 15th October 2017

Liked 3,107 Times in 1,673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
The latest generation of cars also are much more efficient in their use of fossil fuels; again, the occupants aren't aware of that.
In the test lab, maybe; on the road, maybe not!

Harold
Old 15th October 2017

Liked 1,382 Times in 810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post
In the test lab, maybe; on the road, maybe not!

Harold
My old Focus 1.6 2011 did around 31 mpg. My current C-Max, 1.6, 2016, heavier car, more powerful, does around 40 mpg. Under pretty much the same conditions, trips, all around this area. i think you could say that's a pretty good improvement!
The Following User Liked This Post:
RobEW (16th October 2017)
Old 15th October 2017

Liked 3,107 Times in 1,673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
My old Focus 1.6 2011 did around 31 mpg. My current C-Max, 1.6, 2016, heavier car, more powerful, does around 40 mpg. Under pretty much the same conditions, trips, all around this area. i think you could say that's a pretty good improvement!
The only car where I know that the mpg matched the 31mpg in its specs, with mixed town and cross-country (but little motorway) driving was a mk 2 Cavalier. I have not kept detailed record since (Peugeot 307 2L diesel) but the bias towards town driving has be major for my current vehicle. All I can say is that fill-ups are something like half as frequent but it may have a bigger tank.

Various reports straddle the Cavailier average but quite a few show around 50% improvement.

Harold
Old 16th October 2017

Liked 185 Times in 126 Posts

Car durabilty has improved dramatically over my lifetime too. In my younger years, 100,000 miles was outstanding; now it is expected.

But this is all rather tangential on this ancient thread ...