Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 27th September 2017

Liked 1,382 Times in 810 Posts
Took the plunge

I went out this morning to Wex. Came back minus my M5, and plus an M1 Mk 1. Got a good deal on the trade-in, and the M1 is immaculate, just 4200 frames.

First impressions are that I prefer the handling and controls on the M1. Made me think about ergonomics. When we all used film cameras, weren't things so much simpler? You didn't have to worry about sensor behaviour, dynamic range, anti-aliasing etc; you could be certain that so long as the body was functioning correctly, the shutter speeds were as depicted; the lens was what it claimed to be, and price dictated sharpness and definition. Then you just bought whatever film you found worked well for you. Tri-X Pan, Ektachrome, Perutz, Ferrania, all did what they said on the box. If you bought 5 boxes of, say, Ektachrome 64, you knew they would all behave the same, and you knew what that behaviour would be - colour bias, speed, reciprocity, etc..

Now there is so much more to think about and take into consideration - and much of it is hidden in menus (yes, not just on Olys).

I wonder if it has something to do with the resurgence of not just film, but also vinyl - Sony has just opened a new pressing plant! The same with cars; the more widgets, bells and whistles, the more many of us hark back to the days of cars that were really fun: MGs, Morgans, XK120s, even, dare I say it, Moggie Minors! You could see what you were getting, and knew what it would do.

OMG, I must be getting old.......
The Following Users Liked This Post:
bassman (27th September 2017), Greytop (27th September 2017), griffljg (27th September 2017), MJ224 (27th September 2017), Naughty Nigel (2nd October 2017), OM USer (30th September 2017), RobEW (30th September 2017), Ross the fiddler (27th September 2017), skids (27th September 2017), The Technician (27th September 2017)
Old 27th September 2017

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts
Re: Took the plunge

Chemical sensors (apart from suitably doped silicon I mean) generally have a fantastic dynamic range, tolerating a reasonable degree of under and over exposure. Part of the fun is being able to push (and pull) compensating for EI by altering development times. What's more, we can appear to bend light in circumstances by interaction with the anti-halation layer.

There's an awful lot to commend the use of film and a hybrid workflow. The list is too long, but for starters obsolescence becomes obsolete, film provides a tangible record, shooting film prevents chimping... Long live film. Just wish I had found my second breath a lot sooner.

on flickr
Old 27th September 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
Chemical sensors (apart from suitably doped silicon I mean) generally have a fantastic dynamic range, tolerating a reasonable degree of under and over exposure. Part of the fun is being able to push (and pull) compensating for EI by altering development times. What's more, we can appear to bend light in circumstances by interaction with the anti-halation layer.

There's an awful lot to commend the use of film and a hybrid workflow. The list is too long, but for starters obsolescence becomes obsolete, film provides a tangible record, shooting film prevents chimping... Long live film. Just wish I had found my second breath a lot sooner.
Yes, agreed, but it's hard for most people to go back. Would you want to go back to 405 line TV in monochrome? I wouldn't.

Having said that, I have a 1972 electronic organ, which is transistorised. It has a fault - and did have two others. It is hugely complex, and poorly engineered and laid out. BUT IT IS REPAIRABLE! More modern ones used LSI hybrid chips, which were custom designed; if they go phut - and they do! - the instrument is almost certainly dead. Later still, and we're talking custom chips, which are more reliable, but can still fail, with similar results. The latest organs use micro-computers, with each function on a plug-in card; the cards are replaceable. i like my old Conn theatre organ; it has a classic horseshoe console, very conventional, and is easy and satisfying to play. Modern ones are programmed like the computers that they are; to me, that is not the way to go, a misuse of technology.

I spent my working life as an innovator; without innovation, pollution form cars, for example, would be horrendous today. The advances in technology that made engines cleaner, cars safer, more economical are unquestionably a good thing. But do I need a touch screen with navigation, music control, phone control? Not really. It registered low tyre pressure last weekend. A tyre had partly deflated due probably to clipping a kerb a couple of weeks before; great safety feature. But then I had to consult the handbook to figure out how to clear the warning, after reflating the tyres! It should have cleared itself as soon as pressure was correct again.

I think technology is out there looking for problems to solve, whereas it should be the other way around. But, hey, that's progress! Who are we to deny progress....?
The Following User Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (2nd October 2017)
Old 27th September 2017

Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts

On the other hand, when you're moving in and out of dimly lit buildings - think NT properties or churches - with a digital camera you never have to worry about how fast a film to use! You just tweak the ISO setting to suit the light levels and let the camera use the best exposure values

Chris

Black OM-D E-M1 MkII, Silver PEN-F, Black Lumix GX7, and too many lenses!
iso (27th September 2017), KeithL (13th October 2017), Naughty Nigel (2nd October 2017)
Old 27th September 2017

Liked 712 Times in 478 Posts

It's all swings and roundabouts. For example, a significant part of the fantastic dynamic range of film comes from the fact that the image density tails off at the ends - the toe and shoulder of the curve. This means that the tonal gradients at the end are different from in the middle. The effects may be good, they may be bad, they may be neutral, they may allow you to do different creative stuff. It all depends on what you want to do and how skilled you are in handling it. It just means that it behaves differently from a digital sensor.

For the stuff I do, I reckon that for the past small number of years digital has been giving better results than I would ever have got from film, particularly for action in low light. I do miss the magic of playing in the darkroom to some extent but very much doubt that I would ever have developed the skills to do stuff chemically that I can do in PS or Lightroom.

Horses for courses. And we are lucky that these days we have a lot of horses to choose from.

John
iso (27th September 2017)
Old 27th September 2017

Liked 233 Times in 201 Posts

Well I do think back to an AD of the '60's - If you want to (shoot) a black cat in a coal cellar get a Pentax Spotmatic
KeithL (30th September 2017)
Old 27th September 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by iso View Post
Well I do think back to an AD of the '60's - If you want to (shoot) a black cat in a coal cellar get a Pentax Spotmatic
Glad to hear you know how to interpret a 'grey' meter; you're a member of the minority group.

on flickr
KeithL (30th September 2017)
Old 30th September 2017

Liked 184 Times in 125 Posts

To go back to @KeithL's point about ergonomics, it is a very valid point. Older cameras (and cars etc) had simpler functions and fewer controls. At points in history when technological advances make new things possible, techno geeks get involved in design and have a tendency to add lots of extra functionality - not always wanted by every user and sometimes only of interest to other geeky types - and with it comes increased complexity of use. They compromise not only physical ergonomics (size and separation and visibility and tactile sense-ability of buttons etc) but also cognitive ergonomics - e.g. creating labyrinthine menus, and expecting / assuming a sophisticated mental model of what is going on inside the camera.

Having both models, I believe the E-M1 is better ergomically than th E-M5 II in a variety of ways. However they both share the cognitive complexities arising partly from digital technology (he mentioned anti-aliiasing etc) and partly arising fro Olympus's convoluted menu structures.

I can understand the yearning for something simpler and cleaner, e.g. film cameras like my old Olympus OM2-N. But I value some of the newer features of digital

As has been mentioned, technology designed by geek types tends to add loads of functionality but tends to neglect other things consumers want such as usability, durability, repairability, stability, reliability etc.
KeithL (30th September 2017), MJ224 (30th September 2017)
Old 30th September 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJJE View Post
On the other hand, when you're moving in and out of dimly lit buildings - think NT properties or churches - with a digital camera you never have to worry about how fast a film to use! You just tweak the ISO setting to suit the light levels and let the camera use the best exposure values

Chris
Up to a point, I agree. Of course, HDR is a useful, if abused, innovation.

[quote]As has been mentioned, technology designed by geek types tends to add loads of functionality but tends to neglect other things consumers want such as usability, durability, repairability, stability, reliability etc.[quote]

A problem that technology brings in its wake is that, using a camera as a basis, I suspect that the software designers think "Hey, look what I can do with this "computer with a lens attached" that I'm asked to program, rather than "what does the customer want of this camera that can benefit from being implemented in software?" Another words, look at all these functions that software offers rather than what are the customer's needs, and will the customer like what I have done? And indeed, WHO is the customer? Evidence Olympus menus! Lots of clever functions, but can you find what you want, quickly and easily, in the field when you need it? All too often the cleverness has detracted from the usability, rather than enhancing it.

Rob said that he thinks the E-M1 is more ergonomic than the E-M5 MkII; I'll go further and say that it's better than the E-M5 Mk I. When I had my M5, which I sold this week, I thought it was fairly light. When I first handled the M1, my first thought was "how light it is!" It FELT lighter than the M5 - yet I know that it's heavier. Why? Because the body is a better shape, the better grip makes it FEEL lighter. The M1 is clearly quicker and easier to use than the M5; functions that you need quickly are there on body-mounted buttons! Ergonomics is a subtle business, and especially software designers don't fit well with making things FEEL better. Making things easy to use means they are appreciated more, and the product appeals more to the user with the result that the user comes back and buys another at a later date. If the user isn't comfortable, he/she looks around again when replacement comes around.
Old 30th September 2017

Liked 460 Times in 242 Posts

When I was trying an E-M1 ii in the shop, My wife held it as well and liked it as much as me.

I asked the assistant if she could try the M10ii just to see what she thought, especially as it is lighter than the M1ii. Wifey said yeah, great, lets have a look.

The assistant passed it to her and within seconds, she said 'Ugh, it's awful. No grip at all. Nothing to hold on to, it feels as though it could slip out of my hands'.

Moral of the story ... bad ergonomics meant no sale.... for my wife at least. Yes, I know that others love it, just saying what happened.
KeithL (13th October 2017)
Old 30th September 2017

Liked 3,314 Times in 1,537 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith-369 View Post
Moral of the story ... bad ergonomics meant no sale.... for my wife at least. Yes, I know that others love it, just saying what happened.
Of course they want you to buy the grip...............

I had the EM10 for a while, but did not find the ergonomics bad at all. I bought the grip a while after, but never used it. Bought the Em1 /1 instead.....

My Flickr
Old 30th September 2017

Liked 460 Times in 242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ224 View Post
Of course they want you to buy the grip...............

I had the EM10 for a while, but did not find the ergonomics bad at all. I bought the grip a while after, but never used it. Bought the Em1 /1 instead.....

Yes, 'The Grip' (sounds like a bad movie) at 50.00 plus. It's just as bad as Olympus selling lenses without a hood.

I think my wife and I both prefer ergonomics built in to the camera, not as an added extra.

Bet you find the EM1/1 better to hold

RobEW (1st October 2017)
Old 2nd October 2017

Liked 2,252 Times in 1,486 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post

The lack of obsolescence is one of the great benefits of film. You get a new sensor with every exposure, and it doesn't cost much to change sensors!

But of course that doesn't sit well with current business models, which simply couldn't exist with photographers changing cameras once every ten years whether they needed to or not.

It should have been obvious that this was unsustainable in the long term, but then most executives only keep their jobs on this quarter's results, so next year doesn't matter.

With regard to cars and the new-fangled electronics they come with, there is only so much that you can do with a tin box on wheels.

I am perfectly happy to drive a good car for ten years provided it remains safe and reliable, but that isn't what the industry wants. Hence we are constantly drip-fed with new gadgets that are intended to make last year's models out of date. And small cars now have all the gadgets that big, luxury cars once had, such as SatNav and Climate Control, at prices which in real terms are much lower than ten or twenty years ago.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
KeithL (13th October 2017)
Old 2nd October 2017

Liked 2,252 Times in 1,486 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJJE View Post

Chris
Yes, although one reason wedding togs used film for so long was because of the difficulty of capturing detail in a white Bride's dress and a black Groom's suit in the notoriously shadowy conditions inside the porch of an ancient church.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 2nd October 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
Yes, although one reason wedding togs used film for so long was because of the difficulty of capturing detail in a white Bride's dress and a black Groom's suit in the notoriously shadowy conditions inside the porch of an ancient church.
I'm doing some black and white scans at the moment, it's a doddle getting the look correct just by setting the black and white points.

on flickr