Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 16th September 2017

Liked 873 Times in 309 Posts
Re: Time to say goodbye ?

RMSD = Royal Mail Special Delivery

With regard to price, as I said it depends where and how long you look for. You can always find somewhere to pay more

@Damian. The only thing I would say is changing systems more often than not a costly exercise but then you knew that
I would be inclined to let the dust settle have another test (if you can) before making a decision.

Olympus equipment (mainly)
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 16th September 2017

Liked 1,382 Times in 810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greytop View Post
RMSD = Royal Mail Special Delivery

With regard to price, as I said it depends where and how long you look for. You can always find somewhere to pay more
Or indeed less. Much depends on condition, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greytop View Post
@Damian. The only thing I would say is changing systems more often than not a costly exercise but then you knew that
I would be inclined to let the dust settle have another test (if you can) before making a decision.
I'd echo that. I built up my Canon system, then thought, "It's too heavy" and changed to Oly. I don't regret changing in some respects, but whether Oly was the best way to go, I don't know. Always easy to be wise after event!
Old 21st September 2017

Liked 122 Times in 53 Posts

downloaded the LR6 trial yesterday and so used it to process some mk2 RAWs..hmmm, not bad..

Then someone on another forum said maybe the "lack of detail" i mentioned was actually a little blur due to shake at low shutter speeds compared to FL

here are the photos i was comparing, the Oly by me and the Nikon by my 14 year old son - both at 1/80s

Pro 2 e-m1 mk11 by damianmkv, on Flickr

Pro 2 d500 by damianmkv, on Flickr

but these were at 1/125s, the bike by my son, the Funny car by me

TFB 4 by damianmkv, on Flickr

steve ashdown by damianmkv, on Flickr
Old 21st September 2017

Thanked 1,379 Times in 1,274 Posts
Liked 2,281 Times in 1,082 Posts

Fantastic skilful shots despite the issues you mention. That first Oly shot does look a bit like its a double image. If I didn't know better I'd say it looks like a very fine manifestation of shutter shock. Difficult to believe it is that but the image does have some of the same characteristics of that issue. Hope you sort it out and get to the bottom of this. Me, I'd just love to be able to take images this good to be able to notice.
The Following User Says Thank You to Phill D For This Useful Post:
damianmkv (21st September 2017)
Old 21st September 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by damianmkv View Post
downloaded the LR6 trial yesterday and so used it to process some mk2 RAWs..hmmm, not bad..

Then someone on another forum said maybe the "lack of detail" i mentioned was actually a little blur due to shake at low shutter speeds compared to FL

here are the photos i was comparing, the Oly by me and the Nikon by my 14 year old son - both at 1/80s

Pro 2 e-m1 mk11 by damianmkv, on Flickr

Pro 2 d500 by damianmkv, on Flickr

but these were at 1/125s, the bike by my son, the Funny car by me

TFB 4 by damianmkv, on Flickr

steve ashdown by damianmkv, on Flickr
Great shots, certainly the 1/125s exposures look pretty sharp.

To my eye both of the first two shots have some blurring. Look at the text on the fairings in both images.

Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 21st September 2017

You're right Huw but if you click through and look in Flickr, the d500 file shows the phone number of the sponsor quite clearly which isn't the case with the Oly - okay, I can read it but it's less in focus than the Nikon. I also have to remember that my ( beeping ) son caught the bike almost square on which helps with overall sharpness. We were at 3/4 track there so the bikes would have been approaching 180mph and trying to catch them at 1/80 is hard work but we like a test..

The other thing I have to remember is that these cars and bikes are going 0-100mph in around 1.5 seconds ( the 10000bhp fuel cars hit 100mph in twice their own body length so 100mph will be achieved in less than 1 second ) - this makes this type of photography extremely demanding on photographer and gear. Not to mention that the noise makes you jump out of your skin...
The Following User Liked This Post:
Greytop (21st September 2017)
Old 21st September 2017

Liked 126 Times in 80 Posts

It might be an idea for you and your son to swap cameras for one of the meetings to see if it is the camera or the fact that your son, being young, will be steadier and have better reflexes than you. Just a thought .
Old 21st September 2017

Thanked 1,246 Times in 935 Posts
Liked 5,950 Times in 1,939 Posts

Damian - Personally I'm very impressed by all these images. The Oly shots look more than sharp enough for me (and I went to your Flickr page to look at them at the highest resolution you used).

Given the conditions you were shooting under, it seems to me that getting sharp shots at such low shutter speeds is highly dependent on technique and to some degree playing the numbers game (i.e. the more you shoot the more the chance of the perfect shot). If you are comparing the cameras on a fairly small sample, then I would think any differences are not statistically significant.

If you are comparing a large sample size and you think that the Nikon shows a definite superiority then you probably need to look for other reasons rather than just the camera before you go jumping ship. As others have said, randomising who shoots which camera is an essential part of that since otherwise differences could be technique and I would think that these sort of subjects are highly technique dependent.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Greytop (22nd September 2017), Ross the fiddler (22nd September 2017)
Old 22nd September 2017

Mike, both cameras were on loan and we swapped over a lot during the weekend taking over 1200 shots. I think we probably came out with the same number of keepers from each camera. I'd say that the Nikon juussst gave more keepers..

That said, it's big and not comfortable in my hand. I also have to remember that I came to m43 from Nikon due to size / weight and that was when I had a d7000 which is considerably smaller and lighter.

I feel that Olympus will continue to improve the mk2 through firmware updates whereas with Nikon, the wifi transfer rarely works ! If they can't get that right then maybe it's a dinosaur.

Finally, I need to think that it will be my only IL camera - when I travel, do I reallly want the Nikon or would I wish that I had the tech that Olympus packs in to the mk2...
Old 22nd September 2017

Liked 126 Times in 80 Posts

Quote:
Mike, both cameras were on loan and we swapped over a lot during the weekend taking over 1200 shots. I think we probably came out with the same number of keepers from each camera. I'd say that the Nikon juussst gave more keepers..

That said, it's big and not comfortable in my hand. I also have to remember that I came to m43 from Nikon due to size / weight and that was when I had a d7000 which is considerably smaller and lighter.

I feel that Olympus will continue to improve the mk2 through firmware updates whereas with Nikon, the wifi transfer rarely works ! If they can't get that right then maybe it's a dinosaur.

Finally, I need to think that it will be my only IL camera - when I travel, do I reallly want the Nikon or would I wish that I had the tech that Olympus packs in to the mk2...
Interesting that you feel that the Nikon "juussst" got more keepers. Stack that up against the fact that you have already left the Nikon camp once due to the size/weight issue speaks volumes to me, especially if whichever one you choose wll be your only IL camera. Better the camera you take with you than the one you leave at home because of size. Of course if your main interest by a long way are the drag races that could make my thoughts irrelevant.
Old 23rd September 2017

Liked 685 Times in 295 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miketoll View Post
Interesting that you feel that the Nikon "juussst" got more keepers. Stack that up against the fact that you have already left the Nikon camp once due to the size/weight issue speaks volumes to me, especially if whichever one you choose wll be your only IL camera. Better the camera you take with you than the one you leave at home because of size. Of course if your main interest by a long way are the drag races that could make my thoughts irrelevant.
If you put two equivelent photographers head to head, shooting some kind of high speed sport, where one has state of the art Olympus, and the other has state of the art Nikon*, then Nikon likely wins in terms of number of technically good photos and keepers. There's no middle ground there. One of the two has the best AF system that normal money can buy. The other doesn't. Even Sony's mad A9 can't keep up with Nikon's best efforts. Olympus is more than good enough for most users, but hardly the best.

* And of course equally knowledgable and skilled in their respective AF systems.
Old 23rd September 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Internaut View Post
If you put two equivelent photographers head to head, shooting some kind of high speed sport, where one has state of the art Olympus, and the other has state of the art Nikon*, then Nikon likely wins in terms of number of technically good photos and keepers. There's no middle ground there. One of the two has the best AF system that normal money can buy. The other doesn't. Even Sony's mad A9 can't keep up with Nikon's best efforts. Olympus is more than good enough for most users, but hardly the best.

* And of course equally knowledgable and skilled in their respective AF systems.
Perhaps but in this case Damian is comparing the E-M1 MkII and D500, with handling comfort, system weight, general use and features also in the mix.
It's also clear from the feedback that there isn't a major gulf between the D500 and the E-M1 MkII in terms of image acquisition and speed of operation.
Both excellent cameras of course but the way that Olympus and micro 4/3rds is developing I know where my money would go (and has)

Capture One Pro
My flickr
The Following User Liked This Post:
Johnheatingman (23rd September 2017)
Old 23rd September 2017

There is clearly a massive gulf between the mk1 and the mk2 - Iím at Santa Pod at the moment and getting more in focus shots with my sonís d3100 than the mk1.
Old 23rd September 2017

Liked 543 Times in 187 Posts

Quote:
.... but the EVF still bugged me - it would lag on the last shot ( i'm not talking blackout ), meaning that the cars had gone by the time the lag cleared.
I don't understand this? I've never seen that. Did you use a very slow card? Also the Mark 2 will take a while to get the best from it with so many options and tweaks available.
Old 23rd September 2017

I use a 95mbs card - it’s odd really