Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 10th March 2017

Liked 185 Times in 126 Posts
PDAF not used in S-AF mode????

I just read, inter alia in this lens review http://www.imaging-resource.com/lens.../?product=1840 :

"Using the E-M1 with S-AF mode, which utilizes contrast-detect AF only"
and
"switching the E-M1 over to C-AF mode enables Dual Fast AF with a combination of CDAF and on-sensor phase detect".

Is this truly the case? I use "S-AF + MF" nearly all the time, and think I get better AF (on my old Four-thirds lenses) with the E-M1 compared to the E-M5 II, and I always attributed this improvement to the provision of PDAF on the E-M1.
Old 10th March 2017

Liked 1,640 Times in 612 Posts
Re: PDAF not used in S-AF mode????

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEW View Post
I just read, inter alia in this lens review http://www.imaging-resource.com/lens.../?product=1840 :

and
"switching the E-M1 over to C-AF mode enables Dual Fast AF with a combination of CDAF and on-sensor phase detect".

Is this truly the case? I use "S-AF + MF" nearly all the time, and think I get better AF (on my old Four-thirds lenses) with the E-M1 compared to the E-M5 II, and I always attributed this improvement to the provision of PDAF on the E-M1.
With the MKi PDAF is only enabled when using a M4/3 lens with C-AF, or at all times when using a 4/3 lens. So yes you should get better performance with the E-M1 than the E-M5 along with the 4/3 lens.

I think this changes with the MKii.

Some Olympus stuff
I didn't get where I am today...
Old 10th March 2017

Thanked 1,300 Times in 1,015 Posts
Liked 1,943 Times in 1,079 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEW View Post

and

That's true, but if you can afford it, the E-M1 II will give you Dual Fast AF all the time with M4/3's lenses, plus it uses cross type PD-AF instead of just the horizontal sensors (for vertical detail) in the E-M1.

I was using the 50-200 SWD lens on the E-M1 & found it pretty good to get focus in many cases (I think anyhow), but its aperture blades started to stick late last year so I jumped in & bought the 40-150 Pro lens with the 1.4 TC. Now I have situations where I find it harder to lock focus & unfortunately am wishing for the E-M1 Mk II body to give me better focussing with it. Of course, the rest of the nice things about the Mk II would be appreciated too.

There are times that CD-AF is better than PD-AF but other circumstances where PD-AF performs better.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 10th March 2017

Liked 185 Times in 126 Posts

Thanks both for useful information. I wasn't imagining the AF improvements then. The quotes from the article were clearly not applicable to a situation the author was not considering - the use of FT lenses.

I *love* both my HG FTs; often go out with 12-60 on E-M5 II and 50-200 on E-M1. Both AF perfectly adequately for my current shooting style which is rather sedate. (Often architectural / landscape, so the time I spend on composition and waiting for the scene or light to be just right before clicking dwarfs any miniscule differences in AF time). If I was doing action photography I might be more interested in optimising AF further.

E-M1 II is way outside what I can justify spending. If I had that money for my hobby it would probably go on lenses.