Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Wide angle

Wide angle Lenses with focal lengths shorter than 14mm.

Old 3rd December 2016

Liked 65 Times in 52 Posts
Re: PanLeica 15mm f1.7 with Pen-F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Bee View Post
There we go, should all be ok then

Simon
Should be. They have sent me reassuring messages, the lens is already dispatched via Parcelforce, I have Paypal protection and they have a solid returns policy in place.
Old 3rd December 2016

Liked 1,246 Times in 710 Posts

It'll be fine, I'm sure.
It's a sweet lens, although I know some people find the redundant aperture ring irritating (never bothered me, but I rarely move out of Aperture priority auto).

The lens hood and cap is an interesting arrangement - slightly bulky, but the rubber cap I find works well.

The results are just great and, although it's maybe a bit lightweight in feel for a real Leitz, I don't think many Leica camera owners would object to the images you get.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
Old 3rd December 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
I know some people find the redundant aperture ring irritating .
I can understand that and have a couple of questions about it. I wonder if you can help.
  • When e-Photozine reviewed the lens in 2014, they commented on the redundancy of the aperture ring on Olympus bodies but said that there was a firmware update available that could fix that problem. Is that true and if so, where can I get that update? I could not see it on the Panasonic website.
  • If there is no such update, should I leave the aperture ring on an 'A' setting while using with the Pen-F or does it not matter?
Old 3rd December 2016

Liked 18 Times in 17 Posts

As mentioned before, the much talked about firmware update has to be collaberated between Olympus & Panasonic...I can't see it happening anytime soon tbh. Each manufacturer seems content to focus on their own products rather than cross-platform.

The aperture ring has no impact on Olympus M43 bodies, so can just be left on A.
The Following User Says Thank You to sdb123 For This Useful Post:
Loup Garou (3rd December 2016)
Old 3rd December 2016

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

It's a pitty Olympus won't incorporate the aperture setting read from the lens. The signals are there waiting to be read by the camera. It cannot be a matter of not being bothered adding a few tens or hundreds of extra code, but something between Olympus and Panasonic. The 15/1.7 is basically made for the Panasonic camera, I've used it on both systems but much prefer it on the Panasonic. You can look at the setting without the camera being switched on. And in my opinion, all cameras should allow the 3 exposure controls to be set with the camera on or off.

on flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to Ricoh For This Useful Post:
Loup Garou (3rd December 2016)
Old 3rd December 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdb123 View Post
As mentioned before, the much talked about firmware update has to be collaberated between Olympus & Panasonic.
Thanks and apologies if you felt that I was ignoring what you said. I assure you that I was not but I saw this review just this morning and asked the question just on the off-chance that it was something you had missed. Wishful thinking I suppose.

IMO, this lack of cross-collaboration between Olympus and Panasonic defeats the very purpose of having a system like the MFT.
Old 3rd December 2016

Thanked 1,245 Times in 934 Posts
Liked 5,948 Times in 1,938 Posts

TBH, I much prefer changing aperture with the camera to the eye using the dials so don't really see the point of aperture rings. It's one of the things that puts me off Fuji, although it seems it's the reason why many like it! Different folks, different strokes...
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 3rd December 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loup Garou View Post
Thanks and apologies if you felt that I was ignoring what you said. I assure you that I was not but I saw this review just this morning and asked the question just on the off-chance that it was something you had missed. Wishful thinking I suppose.

IMO, this lack of cross-collaboration between Olympus and Panasonic defeats the very purpose of having a system like the MFT.
Perhaps the benefit of MFT is the collaboration at one level, whilst providing each manufacture room for innovation. If not for innovation being protected, it would stifle progress.

on flickr
Old 3rd December 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
TBH, I much prefer changing aperture with the camera to the eye using the dials so don't really see the point of aperture rings. It's one of the things that puts me off Fuji, although it seems it's the reason why many like it! Different folks, different strokes...
For street photographer one needs to review and adjust all settings before raising the camera. Once the camera is at eye level, you have a fraction of a second to get the shot and move on.

on flickr
Old 3rd December 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
It's a pitty Olympus won't incorporate the aperture setting read from the lens. The signals are there waiting to be read by the camera.
In that case, why hasn't some clever independent person come out with an "underground" fix for this issue at 10? We have third party software like "Any DVD" or hardware hack of a Blu-ray player (mine has one to play a BD from any region) and so why not something simpler like this one?
Old 3rd December 2016

What we need is an open source OS for the camera. That way there would be hoards of people doing clever things (and maybe bricking their cameras!)
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 3rd December 2016

Quote:
In that case, why hasn't some clever independent person come out with an "underground" fix for this issue at 10? We have third party software like "Any DVD" or hardware hack of a Blu-ray player (mine has one to play a BD from any region) and so why not something simpler like this one?
The source code is proprietary, so one would need to reverse engineer to get a solution. At 10 a fix, what incentive is there???

Edit: And if Olympus produce errors when providing firmware updates (I'm not certain it is firmware, since firmware operates to configure silicon, eg an FPGA) - and they have the source code - what chance has Joe Bloggs????

on flickr
Old 3rd December 2016

Quote:
What we need is an open source OS for the camera. That way there would be hoards of people doing clever things (and maybe bricking their cameras!)
Linux distros for Mount Olympus

on flickr
Old 3rd December 2016

Quote:
TBH, I much prefer changing aperture with the camera to the eye using the dials so don't really see the point of aperture rings....
It is the nostalgic thing, which of course is related to a person's age. I am 61 and started getting interested in photography during the 'old fashioned' camera days. My foster father owned a Leica, a relative had the Canon A1 and I have owned an Olympus OM4Ti. One develops a sort of 'feel' for such things.
Old 3rd December 2016

Quote:
It is the nostalgic thing, which of course is related to a person's age. I am 61 and started getting interested in photography during the 'old fashioned' camera days. My foster father owned a Leica, a relative had the Canon A1 and I have owned an Olympus OM4Ti. One develops a sort of 'feel' for such things.
Well, I'm not far behind you - 56. I cut my photographic teeth on a Praktica L and later a Pentax Spotmatic II so I should be into aperture rings too but I think ergonomically the dial works better. Steve's point about being able to set the camera before raising it to the eye for street photography is well made, but you can do that fairly easily using the rear screen and have the camera ready for whatever comes along.
Portfolio Site
Instagram