Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 28th February 2017

Liked 3,107 Times in 1,673 Posts
Re: Rear dial problem

So, having decided that this was the best time of the year to part with my camera, I packaged it up and sent it off to the Olympus repairers.

Just to relax, I took a walk down our garden. As I emerged past some dense growth of honeysuckle, I saw what was ahead. Perfectly lit and posed, and in absolutely prime velvet condition, was a four-pointer Roe buck. He had seen me but seemed in no hurry to depart. I turned to fetch my camera. D'oh!

Harold
Old 18th March 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post
So, having decided that this was the best time of the year to part with my camera, I packaged it up and sent it off to the Olympus repairers.

Just to relax, I took a walk down our garden. As I emerged past some dense growth of honeysuckle, I saw what was ahead. Perfectly lit and posed, and in absolutely prime velvet condition, was a four-pointer Roe buck. He had seen me but seemed in no hurry to depart. I turned to fetch my camera. D'oh!

Harold
I got it back on Monday, at a cost of just under 200 (including replacement of the USB outlet socket). Happy to have it back, I put it aside until the weather improved.

When I tried to use it, I found that my instruction, in normal-sized writing, across the bottom of the order form, to not reset the menus to factory settings, had been ignored. Mysets were disabled. It took me a big chunk of the morning to reset them. We need some method of saving the settings on a PC and loading them back into the camera on its return.

Harold
Old 18th March 2017

Liked 52 Times in 45 Posts

Hi Harold I assume they have replaced the rear wheel? I had mine done last year I was apparently under a 3year warranty?
I wonder as many do if the new mk2 is constructed better?
After all Olympus keeps banging on about it being a pro camera?
Kind regards Mike
Old 18th March 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdb2 View Post
Hi Harold I assume they have replaced the rear wheel? I had mine done last year I was apparently under a 3year warranty?
I wonder as many do if the new mk2 is constructed better?
After all Olympus keeps banging on about it being a pro camera?
Kind regards Mike
Actually, Mike, I had originally considered a clean-up of contacts but opted for replacement. They replaced the circuit board. Whatever gets the job done!

Every screw was priced on the invoice. I got a new hot shoe protector and was amazed that it was only 5P. The main cost was "150 minutes" labour.

I wouldn't consider the Mk2. I believe they are all built for obsolescence. I am going to update the software. Any cash I will have will go on lenses. That has always been my priority.

Harold
Old 18th March 2017

Liked 233 Times in 201 Posts

::::Mysets were disabled. It took me a big chunk of the morning to reset them. We need some method of saving the settings on a PC and loading them back into the camera on its return.:::
Above a partial quote
The idea of saving setting to a PC has been mentioned previously. GOOD idea. Is any 'Olympian' reading these things
Old 19th March 2017

Liked 713 Times in 479 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iso View Post
::::Mysets were disabled. It took me a big chunk of the morning to reset them. We need some method of saving the settings on a PC and loading them back into the camera on its return.:::
Above a partial quote
The idea of saving setting to a PC has been mentioned previously. GOOD idea. Is any 'Olympian' reading these things
Yes. We have been asking for it for a long time, and it has finally arrived. But only in the latest model, the E-M1 Mark II, as far as I know.

John
Old 6th April 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikie John View Post
Yes. We have been asking for it for a long time, and it has finally arrived. But only in the latest model, the E-M1 Mark II, as far as I know.

John
Might it be possible for special software to be issued to repairers, to upload settings onto a stick and reload after the repair?

Harold
Old 2nd June 2017

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So - there's no alternative but to send these E-M1 back to Olympus for this repair, that seems to be sketchy, and only a short term fix anyway? This is brutal. I hope mine doesn't get this...
Old 2nd June 2017

Liked 846 Times in 238 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikie John View Post

John
Also E-M5 MK II but only after latest firmware update that wipes all the settings!

E-M5 II, E-M1, E-M1 II, 7.5, 8-18, 12-40, 25, 40-150, 45, 60, 300

Website
Flickr