Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Announcements

Announcements E-System news releases.

Old 27th January 2016

Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
The new Pen-F

Just watched the DPR interview, very impressed.
Personally I think it is a beautiful design, unfortunately likely to be out of my price range for a year or two.
Old 27th January 2016

Thanked 1,245 Times in 934 Posts
Liked 5,950 Times in 1,939 Posts
Re: The new Pen-F

It looks very nice but unless the new sensor offer significant advantages I can't see it being a better option than an E-M5ii. I agree with Ming Thein's review here that it seems very much JPEG orientated. Many of the controls will be of no use to me and I'd prefer the weather sealing of the E-M5ii. Still, each to his own. Looking forward to seeing it in London later today in any case.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 27th January 2016

Yes, you are right it is jpeg orientated. As a jpeg shooter that is the appeal for me but I take your point totally.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Paul19 (27th January 2016)
Old 27th January 2016

Thanked 1,479 Times in 1,407 Posts
Liked 1,392 Times in 889 Posts

It looks good in the flesh, clearly the top of the range PEN. As it moves all the post processing into the camera (via the colour/mono/art dial) it is clearly aimed at the jpeg shooter - and nothing wrong with that.

The stand out thing for me was the improved thumb grip on the rear. The scuptured shape meant that I was less likely to hit the menu controls with the ball of my hand.

I did not see a manual so I'm not sure if the new mode dial (works with the front art dial) can be re-functioned.

Sadly it doesn't meet my needs but I hope that all future PENs follow the PEN-F and have a viewfinder.
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
Learn something new every day
Old 27th January 2016

I handled the new Pen F today at the launch event. Super feel to it - very solid and high quality build. Fast and responsive etc. I would be tempted if I were in the market, but I'm very happy with my E-M1 so I won't be an early customer. However, if the new sensor offers DR or noise improvements and it appears in the E-M1ii then I can see that making its way into my bag.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 27th January 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
I handled the new Pen F today at the launch event. Super feel to it - very solid and high quality build. Fast and responsive etc. I would be tempted if I were in the market, but I'm very happy with my E-M1 so I won't be an early customer. However, if the new sensor offers DR or noise improvements and it appears in the E-M1ii then I can see that making its way into my bag.
That hands on opinion is very helpful, thanks Paul

Regards
Gary.
Old 27th January 2016

Liked 338 Times in 228 Posts

I should add to Paul's comments that it is indeed a lovely camera. It even has a screw thread in the shutter release for an old style cable release. Cool or what! In the future there will even be a wooden screw in knob available.........

On the the downside, it is not weather sealed, and the fully articulated screen is not so convenient to use in landscape mode as my EM1. You have to pull it out and swivel it a la E3/E5. Once out though, it offers better portrait mode use. As it would, in theory, make a great Street camera, this is a bit of a disadvantage. It is being touted as a creative camera, hence the dial on the front. It is a camera aimed more at the jpeg user.

Body only will be 999, which is a bit steep IMO. It will come down in time though but there is not enough for me to warrant splashing the cash, gorgeous as the Pen F undoubtedly is.

There were lots of lenses to play with including the new 300mm f4. A lovely lens and very sharp even at f4. Not a lens for me though as I would find 300mm too restrictive.

The venue was a great place overlooking the Thames with good views to the City and very close to Tower Bridge, which made testing the lenses worthwhile. Even got some good night shots on my walk back to Westminster tube station before catching the train to Paddington.

By the way, it was great to meet and chat with you Paul ☺.

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 27th January 2016

Liked 65 Times in 52 Posts

Quote:
I can't see it being a better option than an E-M5ii.
I agree that it does not appear to be a better option than the EM5 II. But with 11 lenses I need a second body and this does seem something like a revival of a 1963 classic. Assuming further hands-on reviews are good, I am considering a plan in a few months of selling my original EM5 and getting the Pen-F as a companion to the EM5 MkII.
Old 27th January 2016

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

If you're considering a second body as a companion i would recommend having two identical cameras, so in your case two EM5 MkIIs. From my experience it can be confusing when switching between systems with different button placement, menu options etc, especially in the heat of the moment when trying to get the shot.

on flickr
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Minniesmum (28th January 2016), Paul19 (27th January 2016), Zuiko (28th January 2016)
Old 27th January 2016

Cool Re: The new Pen-F

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvendetta View Post
By the way, it was great to meet and chat with you Paul ☺.
Great to meet you too Dave! I managed to get some half-decent shots of Tower Bridge on the way back - hope you got some good ones too.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 27th January 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loup Garou View Post
I agree that it does not appear to be a better option than the EM5 II. But with 11 lenses I need a second body and this does seem something like a revival of a 1963 classic. Assuming further hands-on reviews are good, I am considering a plan in a few months of selling my original EM5 and getting the Pen-F as a companion to the EM5 MkII.
Whilst I agree with Steve (Ricoh) I suspect you could get the Pen F and E-M5ii pretty close in operation with careful setup, although you'd have to ignore the exp comp dial to keep the basic shooting controls similar. They share the same battery BTW. However, on balance I think 2 x E-M5ii is probably the better option. Except for that flippy screen the E-M5ii is a stunning camera.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 27th January 2016

Liked 338 Times in 228 Posts

Quote:
Great to meet you too Dave! I managed to get some half-decent shots of Tower Bridge on the way back - hope you got some good ones too.
Yes, I got some half decent ones too. Judging a photographic comp at a local club tomorrow night so I will get them sorted out on Friday ☺

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 28th January 2016
Administrator

Thanked 3,140 Times in 2,449 Posts
Liked 4,439 Times in 2,105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
If you're considering a second body as a companion i would recommend having two identical cameras, so in your case two EM5 MkIIs. From my experience it can be confusing when switching between systems with different button placement, menu options etc, especially in the heat of the moment when trying to get the shot.
So when are you getting your second M240, Steve?

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 28th January 2016

Liked 774 Times in 183 Posts

I quite like the look of this new camera.
If I didn't use an E-M10 as a second body then I could be tempted.
Especially so as Jessops are giving quite a good trade in deal for my Canon 70D (450) which hasn't seen daylight for nearly a year now.
This would take it down to a more realistic price

Mike
Old 28th January 2016

Liked 65 Times in 52 Posts

Quote:
Whilst I agree with Steve (Ricoh) I suspect you could get the Pen F and E-M5ii pretty close in operation with careful setup, although you'd have to ignore the exp comp dial to keep the basic shooting controls similar. They share the same battery BTW. However, on balance I think 2 x E-M5ii is probably the better option. Except for that flippy screen the E-M5ii is a stunning camera.
I can see what you guys are saying but I do think different camera set-ups with be a problem. I have always used Canons for underwater photography and occasionally used the same camera on and without a problem while still using the OMD as my regular 'dry' camera. Furthermore, I am now using the EM5 marks I and II together and despite their superficial similarity, some buttons are in different places. The on-off lever, playback button, LV (shooting menu) button etc are all in different spots. In fact, a quick check showed that back button positions are more similar between the EM5 II and the Pen F.

When I retire from diving in July, I am going to sell a lot of my old diving gear on e-bay (photographic and other). They are all in good condition despite being very used and taken together should get me some spare cash.