Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Wide angle

Wide angle Lenses with focal lengths shorter than 14mm.

Old 3rd December 2015

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts
Re: Suggestion for an alternate lens

Tim,
I learnt something from years of experimenting with differet lens set ups, that is if you stick to one lens, and learn the way it 'sees', you will see the finished picture in your head long before you raise the camera to your eye, or via the LCD.
For me the 35mm FF equivalent is the best lens for what I need, and now I'm beginning to see the frame without the camera such that I know where to stand in relation to the subject. You can always 'zoom' with your feet, and learn at the same time.
I would have mentioned the brilliant Oly 17mm f1.8, but as you indicated earlier you were looking for something wider (12mm at the wide end of the 12-40) the 15mm came to mind. I've tried both and in the end I sold the 17 and kep the 15.

on flickr
Old 4th December 2015

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Thanks again to all.

They say that to become good at golf you need to practice at least 10,000 hours. I am beginning to realize that the same is with photography.
Another thought - this forum is a valuable tool in that as you work though all this advice and ideas, it enables one to re-think the original question and come back to what was behind this question. So this is what I have come to (at this moment). I would like a fairly wide, sharp, lens for low light. my 1.8 isn't too bad for what I need but too narrow.

Here is a question on the Panasonic Leica 15mm f/1.7 Lens
Note on aperture ring when used on Olympus camera bodies

I've read that the aperture ring only work on Panasonic cameras at the time of this writing. Maybe Olympus might want to update their firmware. If not then, there's seriously no point for Olympus camera users to buy this lens over the Olympus 17mm f/1.8 lens.
Old 4th December 2015

Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
Ffordes have a Samyang 12mm f/2; I've no idea of the quality of this lens but it would seem to fit your requirements

http://ffordes.com/product/15092911082971

They also have a used 12mm Zuiko for a bit more money

http://ffordes.com/product/15112610592331
I have the Samyang 12mm and the much more expensive Voigtlander Nokton 25mm f0.95. The Samyang is very nearly as good as the Voigt at a lot less money.

Photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/42941818@N07/
Old 4th December 2015

Yes that's correct Tim, the PL 15 f1.7 aperture control only works on Panasonic bodies.
The Olympus 17 f1.8 has the added benefit of an optional manual focus mode - Olympus call it the snapshot mode, or something like - the focus ring is pulled back to do this and it reveals a DoF scale, it's basically manual focus by wire.
Both lenses are very well made, so it's a case of take your pick. Go for the one appropriate to your needs and intended use.

on flickr
Old 4th December 2015

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Here is another idea while on the 50mm prime.
What about an OM Olympus Zuiko 50mm f1.8 with an adapter?
Tim
Old 4th December 2015

Been there tried it, sold it.
You realise of course that it's an equivalent of 100mm fl on u43, and its manual everything, focus and aperture. Further, the lens was designed for film of 35mm format and doesn't really match the optical performance of the modern lens developed for digital and for u43.

on flickr
Old 30th December 2015

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Thanks for all the input. In the end I went for a Panny 1:1.7/15mm and it turns out that this is what I really was looking for. It just takes a while to think differently from a zoom lens I was using. My shots in dim lighting are far better.
Old 30th December 2015

Liked 3,876 Times in 1,428 Posts

Post something up, let's have a look!