Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 9th May 2015

Thanked 1,303 Times in 1,018 Posts
Liked 1,944 Times in 1,080 Posts
Re: ‪#‎sickofpolitics‬

We've been seeing it in our news & I don't mind the coverage we saw. After all, for many of us Britain is/was our Mother Country & it carried some interest for us, but I dread the next USA presidential coverage. Last time it was on our news in a big way & it went on ffooorrrrreeeevvveeeeeerrrrr! ! !
I couldn't give a hoot about it!

I wish you all well with the political outcome from your election.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 9th May 2015

Liked 2,253 Times in 1,487 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandora View Post
Edit: BTW - I would be interested to know whether voting is compulsory in the UK as it is here, Downunder.

And why is your polling day not on a Saturday?
Voting is not compulsory here (yet), although many people believe it should be.

One thing that has become clear though is that some form of electoral reform is needed, as whatever your politics, the system no longer represents the wishes of the people; at least for the smaller parties. We also have a huge imbalance in the number of constituents in each ward up and down the country.

As for why we always vote on a Thursday, I did know once but I've forgotten!

(I think it had something to do with Market Days being on a Wednesday.)

There have very occasionally been other polling days in the past, but I can only remember Thursdays.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Liked This Post:
Zuiko (9th May 2015)
Old 9th May 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
We've been seeing it in our news & I don't mind the coverage we saw. After all, for many of us Britain is/was our Mother Country & it carried some interest for us, but I dread the next USA presidential coverage. Last time it was on our news in a big way & it went on ffooorrrrreeeevvveeeeeerrrrr! ! !

You should care Ross. The Americans are not very good at geography, and when Sarah Palin gets into the Whitehouse you might a few missiles coming your way that were intended Austria or Afghanistan or some other country beginning with an 'A'.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Ross the fiddler (9th May 2015)
Old 9th May 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
If we also vote to leave the EU in two years time I hope it doesn't adversely affect the prices of Olympus products or repairs in Portugal.

One solution for me and my family (if I can face the upheaval) is to move to Scotland in two years when my daughter finishes her secondary education. By then we will probably have another Scottish Independence referendum and the Scots are unlikely to be fooled twice, plus there's the added advantage of being nearer to Ffordes for some used camera bargains!
Whatever happens in politics it seems we get ripped off in the UK for goods that are far cheaper in the USA and mainland Europe. Companies blame shipping charges and import duties, but how much does it cost to ship a software download?

As for Scotland I would get yourself moving as I hear Alex Salmond has been to night classes for bricklaying, and wants to get started on rebuild Hadrian's wall.

Seriously though, it is a beautiful country, and I can think of very few places that I would rather go other than perhaps Italy, where the food, wine and weather suits we well.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 9th May 2015
Administrator

Liked 1,569 Times in 901 Posts
Talking Re: ‪#‎sickofpolitics‬

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post

I lived in the US during an election year, and couldn't believe some of the mud slinging that went on. Make ours look like feather dusters at 10 paces.

I did however find that I could go into NY and buy a camera tax free as I lived in NJ.

NB: Yellow cards for all not mentioning something photographically related

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Zuiko (9th May 2015)
Old 9th May 2015

Thanked 1,116 Times in 699 Posts
Liked 1,452 Times in 726 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandora View Post
... And why is your polling day not on a Saturday?
Local elections in England and Wales are by statute held on the first Thursday in May.

Election Day in the Unite Kingdom is by tradition a Thursday. It has been suggested that this tradition arose as the best of several circumstances: Friday pay-packets would lead to more drunken voters on Fridays and weekends; having the election as far after a Sunday as possible would reduce the influence of Sunday sermons; many towns held markets on Thursdays, thus the local population would be travelling to town that day anyway.

Under the Fixed Term Parliaments Act of 2011, all future General Elections shall take place on the first Thursday in May every five years, barring 'special circumstances' such as the Foot and Mouth outbreak.

The last Parliamentary by-election not to be held on a Thursday was the Hamilton by-election - in Scotland - of 31 May 1978. This was held on a Wednesday as the returning officer wished to avoid a clash with the opening game of the 1978 FIFA World Cup.

There are 'special circumstances' and then there are special priorities.

Looking on the brighter side of life... with VAT frozen & TAX staying the same by law I might now be able to afford a new camera from FFordes

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wally For This Useful Post:
Graham_of_Rainham (9th May 2015), Naughty Nigel (9th May 2015), Ross the fiddler (9th May 2015), Zuiko (9th May 2015)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Graham_of_Rainham (9th May 2015), Naughty Nigel (9th May 2015), Ross the fiddler (9th May 2015)
Old 9th May 2015
Administrator

Thanked 3,140 Times in 2,449 Posts
Liked 4,441 Times in 2,107 Posts

One thing I have enjoyed throughout the election is the satirical lampooning and mockery on TV of all the parties and their leaders in equal measure. Favourite shows include The Last Leg, Newzoids and Ballot Monkeys, but my vote for the best gag goes to Jon Snow on Have I Got News For You. When it was revealed on the show that Vince Cable's bike had been stolen during the week, Jon Snow quipped that he had lost two seats!

One politician who has my genuine sympathy is Nick Clegg. I didn't vote for his party this time (it will take a long while to forgive) but he strikes me as a thoroughly honest, decent and well-intentioned man. However, it has turned out that, in terms of the LibDem's fortunes at least, he made a catastrophic decision to join a coalition with the Tories. He's obviously the type of bloke who would walk into a camera shop and buy a Nikon when he could have an Olympus!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Ross the fiddler (9th May 2015)
Old 9th May 2015
Administrator

Thanked 3,140 Times in 2,449 Posts
Liked 4,441 Times in 2,107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
Whatever happens in politics it seems we get ripped off in the UK for goods that are far cheaper in the USA and mainland Europe. Companies blame shipping charges and import duties, but how much does it cost to ship a software download?

As for Scotland I would get yourself moving as I hear Alex Salmond has been to night classes for bricklaying, and wants to get started on rebuild Hadrian's wall.

Seriously though, it is a beautiful country, and I can think of very few places that I would rather go other than perhaps Italy, where the food, wine and weather suits we well.
It's not just the political/economic situation that makes me hanker for a move to Scotland, it's been a long term aspiration for decades because, as you say, it's a beautiful country and a landscape photographer's dream. However, since my health started to deteriorate a move to a remote location in the Highlands seems less practical and appealing.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 9th May 2015

Liked 1,598 Times in 1,019 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
And a pianist, apparently, but.... I'll leave it there.
So you're suggesting that the BBC's political commentator's wrong?

Jim
Old 9th May 2015
Administrator

Liked 1,569 Times in 901 Posts

I enjoy the wit of some political commentaries and the associated graphics.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
The Following Users Liked This Post:
PeterBirder (9th May 2015), Zuiko (9th May 2015)
Old 9th May 2015

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
So you're suggesting that the BBC's political commentator's wrong?

Jim
Not at all, I take Nick Robinson's word for it. I was simply saying Balls plays the piano as well. However being a competent pianist doesn't necessarily mean the audience will like the tune, its a matter of taste and perception, and received wisdom.

on flickr
Old 9th May 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
Not at all, I take Nick Robinson's word for it. I was simply saying Balls plays the piano as well. However being a competent pianist doesn't necessarily mean the audience will like the tune, its a matter of taste and perception, and received wisdom.
I understand Ed Balls is currently working at G4, but hopes to make his way through the grades. That is a very laudable aim in which I genuinely wish him the best of luck. No doubt he will have more free time to play the piano now than he expected this time last week.

Quote:
He was stated by right wing Nick Robinson, to be "the most competent economist you're ever likely to meet".
Who says Nick Robinson is right wing? He does work for the BBC after all.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 9th May 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
I enjoy the wit of some political commentaries and the associated graphics.

Seriously though, I wonder what MP's severance terms are?

Do they get three months pay in lieu of notice, and relocation expenses to sell their second homes? Maybe some of the redundant MP's will be second house swapping with those who have just won seats.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 9th May 2015

Liked 1,598 Times in 1,019 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
Who says Nick Robinson is right wing? He does work for the BBC after all.
Ex president of the Oxford University Conservative Association and ex President of the Conservative Party youth group good enough for you?

A recent study by Cardiff University academics demonstrated right-wing bias on the BBC:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...t-9129639.html

Jim
Old 9th May 2015

Quote:
Ex president of the Oxford University Conservative Association and ex President of the Conservative Party youth group good enough for you?

A recent study by Cardiff University academics demonstrated right-wing bias on the BBC:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...t-9129639.html

Jim
Shame nobody told Sue Lawley about that.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing