Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 8th September 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Southwold

Took this at the beginning of the year. Can't think I have posted before. If so, my apologies.

Old 9th September 2008

Liked 1,285 Times in 496 Posts
Re: Southwold

Well I like it :-)

I like minimalism, and there is a nice counterbalance of shapes and colours..

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 13th September 2008
The Judge

I really am not sure of what you were trying to achieve here. The shot suggests space but includes a nasty shadow and a tree? Not only that but a third up in your picture is a horizontal line in the dirt which works against the verticals of the rest of the image. It is a confusing image with confusing lighting and a somewhat haphazard approach to composition. I can see why you thought it might be a good image as it does has a certain appeal , however it is not working as a true photographic picture.

A good try but not a keeper.
Old 14th September 2008

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

I think i would have walked further up the slope of the cropped field until the tree was in full sight and was isolated against the sky. I like the shadow effect of the cloud on the field as it adds interest to a large area of space in the image.
David
Old 16th September 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for your deliberation Judge but I have sold 2 of these locally. A3 mounted. Obviously some people are not as gifted as you when it comes to deciding what to hang in their hallways.
Old 16th September 2008
ndl0071

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Cousins View Post
Thanks for your deliberation Judge but I have sold 2 of these locally. A3 mounted. Obviously some people are not as gifted as you when it comes to deciding what to hang in their hallways.
Hi Malcolm

Thanks for posting this image and your comments above, I have some very similar ones taken on the South Downs earlier this year you have encouraged me to re visit them.

Cheers
Neil
Old 16th September 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No problem Neil. Make sure they are are nice and sharp and print them with pigment inks on good paper (in my case archival matte) . Tell me how you get on please.

All the best

Malcolm
Old 16th September 2008
Administrator

Liked 1,568 Times in 900 Posts

I too enjoy the simplicity of the image as it is presented.

However, I have viewed this with panorama proportions, achieved by taking a slice off the bottom (at the point where the line runs across the field) and off the top to position the horizon on the top third line. But most importantly for me I would rotate the image clockwise to get the horizon as close to level as posible. While it may well slope in reality, for me it spoils the "Graphic" quality of the image in a panoramic format.

I can visualise this printed onto B3 or 8" Roll Stock and being the kind of picture that sells in IKEA (hope that's not an insult)

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 16th September 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

None taken Graham. Thanks for the input.
Old 16th September 2008

Liked 71 Times in 32 Posts

I like this image very much as it stands. I also agree with Graham regarding a crop to panoramic format, although I'm not concerned about the horizon being level.

Excellent shot

Cheers,

JohnGG