Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds

Micro Four Thirds Discuss the newly announced Micro Four Thirds addition to the Four Thirds system family here.

Old 13th December 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
4/3 vs MFT

I have never really considered the MFT format seriously. However the last few weeks I have read a lot of good things about it.

All the lenses I have are 4/3, so I was wondering what others' experience was using 4/3 lenses on MFT using the MMF3 adaptor. Does AF work ok? Is there any loss of F stops in the conversion? Is IQ good? What's the impact on DOF?

At the moment, the consensus amongst users of other formats seems to be that MFT is the best system for video, but picture quality isn't that great. How does IQ compare between 4/3 and MFT?

Are 4/3 lenses better than MFT lenses?

To the people who switched fromo 4/3 to MFT - what were the main reasons you make the transition (apart from the obvious size advantage)?

I apologize for the many, many questions. Any and all inputs will be greatly appreciated!
Old 13th December 2012
Kiwi Paul

Re: 4/3 vs MFT

I made the switch for size and weight reasons. The m4/3 gear is far more compact and light weight.
IQ wise m4/3 is excellent, the latest m4/3 camera bodies are far better performance and IQ wise than any of the 4/3 bodies.
There is a really good selection of good quality lenses for m4/3 now that pretty much match anything 4/3 offers (with the exception of the 4/3 SHG zooms which IMHO are still the best zoom lenses available) but 7-14 and the 12-35 and 35-100 X m4/3 lenses are very good.

Paul
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Greytop (13th December 2012), rutwij (13th December 2012)
Old 13th December 2012

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutwij View Post
All the lenses I have are 4/3, so I was wondering what others' experience was using 4/3 lenses on MFT using the MMF3 adaptor. Does AF work ok? Is there any loss of F stops in the conversion? Is IQ good? What's the impact on DOF?
The adapters just replace the space that on 4/3'rds is filled by the mirror - there is no glass involved so there is no impact on f number, DOF or image quality.

AF is a bit slower as m4/3'rds uses contrast detection and the lenses are designed for phase detection AF, but I use the 9-18, 11-22 and 14-54 mk1 with no problems. Longer zooms are in my experience a bit more problematical and you lose C-AF on all 4/3'rds lenses.

More recent m4/3'rds cameras have better contrast detection AF than my e-PL1, so may exhibit a small improvement on focus speed.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nick Temple-Fry For This Useful Post:
Greytop (13th December 2012), rutwij (13th December 2012)
Old 13th December 2012

Liked 122 Times in 62 Posts

I have just got an epm-2 for astro work...erm...looks like the 620 will be doing less as the 4/3 glass works well along with legacy glass for this purpose.
Used it with the kit lens today...it is walk around camera 2...after the Fuji X10.
The Following User Says Thank You to crimbo For This Useful Post:
rutwij (13th December 2012)
Old 13th December 2012

Liked 33 Times in 11 Posts

I think Paul and Nick have covered just about every thing.
One of my motivators was some images that paul posted when he got his Panny.
I was using and EPL1 and had no complaints about IQ but didn't really like working without a 'proper' viewfinder.
When the OM-D came along it just seemed to fit the bill perfectly, and it does.
My only gripe is wether to buy a couple of fast Olympus primes or invest in the fast Panny Zooms.
Basically the only people who seriously knock 4/3rds and/or m4/3rds for IQ are those with no real experience of either format. Therefore they speak through ignorance.
I have tried a couple of fast 4/3rds primes on my OM-D via the correct adapter and IQ is excellent. Focus speed is a tad slow but for landscapes it is not an issue.
Hope this helps.

"Always shoot in RAW and avoid JPEGs"

William Shakespeare.
The Following User Says Thank You to Seonnaidh For This Useful Post:
Old 13th December 2012

Liked 19 Times in 8 Posts

I use the 4/3 70-300mm on my EM5 and it works pretty well, if a little slow and CAF isn't good, but that isn't an issue for what I do.

In answer to your question about m4/3 lens IQ, in my experience the IQ of the prime lenses such as the 45mm f1.8 is breathtakingly good.

Martin
The Following User Says Thank You to Swordfish For This Useful Post:
Old 13th December 2012

Thanked 1,479 Times in 1,407 Posts
Liked 1,391 Times in 889 Posts

The 4/3 lenses are telecentric and the images require little correction in camera or PP (or possible no correction in some case). MFT lenses take advantage of in camera correction and thus can be smaller and lighter. The smaller registration distance between lens and sensor also helps with small focal length lenses as you do not have to have a retrofocal design.

4/3 zoom lenses are much brighter than Olympus MFT zooms. The 2 panasonic F2.8 zooms are correcting this inbalance somewhat. MFT has some superb primes in the 12 to 75mm range but nothing above that. In general MFT is muscling in on Olympus 4/3 HG glass territory (especially in the low focal length primes) but can not compete with 4/3 SHG stuff.

Plus everything already said.
The Following User Says Thank You to OM USer For This Useful Post:
Old 13th December 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks guys - I'll put a MFT body and 4/3-MFT adapter on my wish list