Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds

Micro Four Thirds Discuss the newly announced Micro Four Thirds addition to the Four Thirds system family here.

Old 12th July 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Which Camera to dip toe in water

Thanks for the informative response.

Another question, I know they are different, but which is the better lens in terms of quality and value between the Panasonic kit 14-42mm and the Panasonic 14mm Asph Prime lens ?

I ask as I am contemplating one of the GF3 kits but if I get on with it, selling the GF3 body and keeping the lens to use on an OMD M5
Old 12th July 2012
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

At some point you will want to go for the higher quality lenses and move to primes, I suspect. The 14mm Panny is a good lens with a reasonable maximum aperture. Might I suggest you partner it with the Oly 45mm?

As an aside, about 5 years ago I moved from Canon FF to Olympus, and have never looked back. With the E-M5 things are very rosy!

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 12th July 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you are wanting to collect Olympus lenses you can't buy a Panasonic body as you'll lose all IS (IS is in Oly bodies and Pana lenses).

The OM-D is well overpriced in my opinion and has some flaws, as you'll know if you've done your research. I think new prices will fall to around the 600-700 mark shortly which, if you buy now, will leave you a little upset. Also, the next in line OM-2d will likely have more features and won't be long to market I predict, due to the need to iron out the aforesaid flaws in the 'prototype' OM-D.

I have had E-PL1, moved up to E-PL2 for slightly better features (mainly the controls mirroring those of my XZ-1) and ergonomics, although ISO moves from 100 to 200 minimum, and I added an Oly m14-150 lens which would see me through to an OM-? as its IQ is fine for my general use. Get a VF-2 EVF with EP-9 eyecup for the perfect combination, you can sell it again when you buy the OM-D, or keep it to use at 90 degrees for candid 'street' shots.

Having said all that, I still pick up my XZ-1 99% of the time. What E-Series lens gives you a zoom lens 28-112mm (35mm eqivalent) at f:1.8-2.5?
Not sure how it would cope with motorsport though?

The OM-D would solve my low light issues of the E-PL2 with its better high ISO performance but I wasn't prepared to spend even the 667 it would have cost me to buy a body in the USA last week. I'm not a professional and, like you, don't need that level of performance just now.

Just my take on things....
--------------------------
Old 12th July 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You are not far wrong David.

One of the otehr reasons of dipping the toe in with a cheaper body is to see what happens on the OMD front i.e. price drop and/or new model in the winter.

My intention is to either get a used E-PL2 with Olympus lenses or a new GF3 with Panny lenses which I can then use on an OMD body.

There are two GF3 kits, one with a 14-42mm and one with a 14mm prime hence my question.
Old 12th July 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spy View Post
You are not far wrong David.

One of the otehr reasons of dipping the toe in with a cheaper body is to see what happens on the OMD front i.e. price drop and/or new model in the winter.

My intention is to either get a used E-PL2 with Olympus lenses or a new GF3 with Panny lenses which I can then use on an OMD body.

There are two GF3 kits, one with a 14-42mm and one with a 14mm prime hence my question.
Having the XZ-1 with its great low f stop lens and the PL2 with not so great low light ability m14-150 lens, and always having been a zoom lens fan, I think it would be great to have the choice with the OM-D of zooms+high ISO or primes+cropping. The PL2 doesn't have either the high ISO capability or sensor size to do as well. Still way too pricey for me though!
Having said that, I could sell all my other 43 and m43 kit and afford one but the OM-D teething troubles would still make me wait for a successor.

--------------------------
Old 12th July 2012

Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts

I am a very recent convert to Olympus having bought a OM-D E-M5 and so far I am very pleased with it. I previously had a Pentax K-5 which is about the smallest fully featured APS-C DSLR and has very good high ISO capabilities as well as good ergonomics. I had looked at the MFT systems previously but was put off by the sensor limitations and limited high ISO.

The OMD E-M5 is a "proper" camera with two control wheels as well as buttons and handling is not too different from a DSLR but without the weight and bulk. The advances in sensor technology have put it on a more equal footing with the APS-C DSLRS and the high ISO capabilities are at least as good. The built-in EVF is pretty good too. If you get a chance to handle an OMD that might be the clincher.

I must admit that in my case an additional attraction is the ability to use Leica (and other brands) lenses as I am a long time Leica user since film days.

If you can be patient and wait a bit the price of the OMD may fall but I get the impression that at present Olympus is selling then as fast as they can make them so it may be a few months before there is a significant drop.

Best of luck with your decision.

Archie

Tags
olympus, om-d em-5, panasonic, which compact