Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Events

Events Find out about and discuss events relating to the Olympus E-System.

Old 5th December 2011

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Re: A Day in the Highlands

Sorry, I canít make it either.
Old 5th December 2011

Liked 42 Times in 26 Posts

Its a great wee (well no quite so) hideaway. The weather can be atrocious. In recent weeks there have been days every week in excess of 25mm of rain. But you can go in all directions to escape the dreich. e.g Glencoe 40 minutes, Oban 50mins.
It is comfortable. You need to take your own sleeping bag and pillow. All electric and gas included. We charge £8.50 per night. Its now limited ability friendly.
3 pubs within half a mile (nearest 100yards), a good grocers, a railway station (direct trains to London, the sleeper), Glasgow airport about an hours drive.

Wildlife in the 'garden' includes deer, coos!, birds, frogs, dragonflies, butterflies and flowers. At the right time of year a good crop of rasps and blaeberries. Oh and yes, midgies.

From New Year its booked every weekend for 3 months but is usually quiet through July to September.

And I'm very fond of it. I try to go up for a few days in both winter and summer. The first time I stayed there was nearly 40 years ago.

Lots of toys.
Old 6th December 2011

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer View Post
Its a great wee (well no quite so) hideaway. The weather can be atrocious. In recent weeks there have been days every week in excess of 25mm of rain. But you can go in all directions to escape the dreich. e.g Glencoe 40 minutes, Oban 50mins.
It is comfortable. You need to take your own sleeping bag and pillow. All electric and gas included. We charge £8.50 per night. Its now limited ability friendly.
3 pubs within half a mile (nearest 100yards), a good grocers, a railway station (direct trains to London, the sleeper), Glasgow airport about an hours drive.

Wildlife in the 'garden' includes deer, coos!, birds, frogs, dragonflies, butterflies and flowers. At the right time of year a good crop of rasps and blaeberries. Oh and yes, midgies.

From New Year its booked every weekend for 3 months but is usually quiet through July to September.

And I'm very fond of it. I try to go up for a few days in both winter and summer. The first time I stayed there was nearly 40 years ago.
Duncan, I LURVE IT ! and trains direct to London, what is the station name ? Sounds much better than flights ! ... now when to have a long weekend up there ? I fancy a June (for Landscapes & Wildlife and end October for the Fall
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 6th December 2011

Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts

Would dearly love to get up there but sadly it's not to be.

My only visit to the highlands was a week in August at Kincraig...we stayed in a cabin(sheds he he) in the grounds of a converted Church.Had instant access to the ancient woods with badger,cat,Red Sqiggle and oh yes the Osprey on the doorstep.
It was just a short walk to Loch Inch where the Osprey had their nest..we managed to get virtually on their level and could see the youngsters in the nest...never saw them fishing as they used to go to the local fish shop (fishery) down stream.
Spent the time of the Solar Eclipse beside the Loch and everything went silent and still...magic.On par with this was a trip we took up the Findorn Valley...WOW what a great place and I imagine even better in the winter.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68459774@N05

E500,E510 now dead,E520 (now retired),E600 and Grip,14-42,14-45,2x40-150,Sigmas 105 and 135-400 Now Dead..ex 25. Manfrotto 190. Plus lots of OM stuff.
Now also 4 items from the dark side...........
Old 6th December 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringneck View Post
Would dearly love to get up there but sadly it's not to be.

My only visit to the highlands was a week in August at Kincraig...we stayed in a cabin(sheds he he) in the grounds of a converted Church.Had instant access to the ancient woods with badger,cat,Red Sqiggle and oh yes the Osprey on the doorstep.
It was just a short walk to Loch Inch where the Osprey had their nest..we managed to get virtually on their level and could see the youngsters in the nest...never saw them fishing as they used to go to the local fish shop (fishery) down stream.
Spent the time of the Solar Eclipse beside the Loch and everything went silent and still...magic.On par with this was a trip we took up the Findorn Valley...WOW what a great place and I imagine even better in the winter.
Keith MAGIC ! You have sold me on a week up in the Highlands - well you and Duncan ... and Stoates is always posting amazing shots of Findhorn so a visit there is a must too ! Now I have to look at a map and plan that week !

the ONE photo album
Old 6th December 2011

Sorry, Steve. There appears to be a hijack of this thread underway.

The station is Crianlarich. There is no other in a village of about 300 people although Tyndrum 5 miles up the road does have 2.

15 miles away.

23 miles away

18miles away

and that's enough for now.

Lots of toys.
Old 6th December 2011

Liked 160 Times in 57 Posts

Originally Posted by wanderer
'Sorry, Steve. There appears to be a hijack of this thread underway.'

Not an issue to me in the least Duncan - I'm glad it has generated the interest it has. It looks like Crianlarich could be a contender for a future 'E Group' meet.

E-M1 Mk II, E-5, E-510, 9-18mm f4-5.6, 14-54mm f2.8-3.5 II, 50-200mm f2.8-3.5 SWD, 5omm f2, EC-14, 14-42mm, 40-150mm, Velbon GEO E640L/PHD64Q, METZ 48 AF-1

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stoates/
Old 6th December 2011

Quote:
It looks like Crianlarich could be a contender for a future 'E Group' meet.
I'm beginning to think that way.
June is a good time and I can find out what the availability of the cottage is.
There are also several B&Bs, 2 hotels and a Youth Hostel in Crianlarich.
The only problem is that it is on the M1 of Scottish walking , the West Highland Way so it can be busy. There are also plenty of other places to stay within about 12 miles.

Lots of toys.
Old 6th December 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer View Post
I'm beginning to think that way.
June is a good time and I can find out what the availability of the cottage is.
There are also several B&Bs, 2 hotels and a Youth Hostel in Crianlarich.
The only problem is that it is on the M1 of Scottish walking , the West Highland Way so it can be busy. There are also plenty of other places to stay within about 12 miles.
Sounds good. Already looking forward to the warmer weather!

E-M1 Mk II, E-5, E-510, 9-18mm f4-5.6, 14-54mm f2.8-3.5 II, 50-200mm f2.8-3.5 SWD, 5omm f2, EC-14, 14-42mm, 40-150mm, Velbon GEO E640L/PHD64Q, METZ 48 AF-1

Old 6th December 2011

Duncan - sorry I have been sidetracked trying to save my LAPTOP its gone awol ... but all photos off it

I shall look at where the cottage is; an look at trains - if Nicks finished the SupaMotoHome it may be there too! ...

Sorry to sound dull & boring, but I have "Knackered Knees" and slow, gentle walks are ok for me but no longer can I hike - nor Nick ... we would be Happy wandering about the local ... but Love the evenings or trips to a wee Distillary

Is Findhorn an outing from the old Cottage ?

the ONE photo album
Old 6th December 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
Is Findhorn an outing from the old Cottage ?
You could call it that Chevvy - about a 3 hour 'outing' north. Not really a viable day trip I'm afraid but the area around Moray is well worth the trip if you haven't ventured up here before.