Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 8th May 2008
Nivek

Pinhole photography with olympus bodycap

HELP!! Does anyone know what size pinhole I would need for a body cap pinhole for my E-501? I have a laser cut pinhole in it at the moment but the image is really soft therefore I assume itís too big. Surely someone in this forum has tried this.

Kevin.
Old 8th May 2008
Codger

Liked 104 Times in 45 Posts
Re: Pinhole photography with olympus bodycap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
HELP!! Does anyone know what size pinhole I would need for a body cap pinhole for my E-501? I have a laser cut pinhole in it at the moment but the image is really soft therefore I assume itís too big. Surely someone in this forum has tried this.

Kevin.
I think the problem may be the thickness of the lens cap causing diffraction. You may need to open it out and attach a thin sheet of metal with a hole of about 0.25mm diameter.

See this website for inspiration and some amazing ideas:

http://www.pinholephotography.org/

The site belongs to Justin Quinnell, who is well known in Bristol for this sort of wackiness - his wheely bin camera is the stuff of legend!

"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something" - Steven Wright
Old 8th May 2008
Nivek

Thank you steve for your reply. I did drill out a bigger whole then I inserted a lazer cut pinhole into it. Im going to buy a couple of covers and make a few different ones to see what happens. Im not looking for perfection here but it really is a very soft image.

Kevin
Old 8th May 2008
Codger

Liked 104 Times in 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
Thank you steve for your reply. I did drill out a bigger whole then I inserted a lazer cut pinhole into it. Im going to buy a couple of covers and make a few different ones to see what happens. Im not looking for perfection here but it really is a very soft image.

Kevin
I think it must be related to the size of the pinhole - either too big or too small (diffraction?). Maybe there are a few clues in some of the articles on the website. Obviously, the images won't be quite as sharp as a Zuiko!

"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something" - Steven Wright
Old 8th May 2008
mike_j

I found it worked quite well on an extension tube but the pinhole must be in thin material, like aluminium foil. The e510 metering will sort out exposure adequately.

Here is one of my efforts

http://www.stamcomms.eclipse.co.uk/A.../pinhole_1.jpg