Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus Pen E-P3

Olympus Pen E-P3 The third-generation Micro Four Thirds flagship Pen model from Olympus, complete with capacitive touch screen!

Old 17th October 2011
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts
Re: EP2 or EP3

I've had the E-P2, and it's a great camera. Having said that, if I were to buy a Pen again (and I might!) I wouldn't bother over much about the body but make sure I had enough money to buy the E-VF2 (or possibly the E-VF3) as well. I consider it virtually essential, but then I hate holding a camera at arms length.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
The Following User Says Thank You to StephenL For This Useful Post:
shirley (20th October 2011)
Old 18th October 2011
Administrator

Thanked 3,140 Times in 2,449 Posts
Liked 4,439 Times in 2,105 Posts

Well, I've gone and done it - placed an order for an E-P3 twin lens kit.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 18th October 2011
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

You can tell where the money is these days .....

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 18th October 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
You can tell where the money is these days .....
Haha, yes, but I've had to sell some treasured items such as my Pentax digital spot meter to finance this - I hope I won't regret it!

I'll see how I get on using this kit exclusively for a while, then it's serious decision time - If I want to add to the kit (like a 45mm f1.8 for example) I will have to sell the E-3 kit, burning my bridges and going completely MFT.

Unless, of course, I win the latest competition - that might just give the FT gear a stay of execution.

Or if I get the job I have an interview for tomorrow - where's the Smilies for fingers crossed and praying on my hands and knees!

Shirley, I handled the E-P3 at my local shop again today and it really does feel right for me. I agree with others that it is probably not worth the money compared to other models, at least on paper, but handling is the No 1 priority for me these days and for that I'm prepared to pay a premium if I have to. good luck with coming to your own decision.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following User Says Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
Old 18th October 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
I've had the E-P2, and it's a great camera. Having said that, if I were to buy a Pen again (and I might!) I wouldn't bother over much about the body but make sure I had enough money to buy the E-VF2 (or possibly the E-VF3) as well. I consider it virtually essential, but then I hate holding a camera at arms length.
The Leica 14-150 FT lens I've bought (for my E-1) should arrive today or tomorrow. I've a feeling it will be as unwieldy on the E-PL1 as the 70-300 was but I'll give it a go!

I wondered yesterday if someone produced a screw-on grip for the E-PL1 to give more stability when using larger FT lenses. Seems like a no-brainer to me?

All I could find was this DIY jobby: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=37112863

But then there's the problem of the shutter button becoming unreachable and as the PL1 doesn't do remote shutter release a plug in 2nd shutter button, as in add-on 3rd party battery grips, that's no good either.

I know... when I want to use a big lens, I'll use a big body!

--------------------------
Old 18th October 2011
Administrator

Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,232 Posts
Liked 1,651 Times in 739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMC View Post
The Leica 14-150 FT lens I've bought (for my E-1) should arrive today or tomorrow. I've a feeling it will be as unwieldy on the E-PL1 as the 70-300 was but I'll give it a go!

I wondered yesterday if someone produced a screw-on grip for the E-PL1 to give more stability when using larger FT lenses. Seems like a no-brainer to me?

All I could find was this DIY jobby: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=37112863

But then there's the problem of the shutter button becoming unreachable and as the PL1 doesn't do remote shutter release a plug in 2nd shutter button, as in add-on 3rd party battery grips, that's no good either.

I know... when I want to use a big lens, I'll use a big body!

The 14-150 Leica is very similar in size to a 14-54 and is not unwieldy at all. It's a brilliant lens.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 18th October 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
The 14-150 Leica is very similar in size to a 14-54 and is not unwieldy at all. It's a brilliant lens.

Ian
Would be great if it handles well on E-1 and E-PL1 so I don't have to buy an MFT Oly 14-150 too. I'll reserve judgement until I try it on both.

--------------------------
Old 18th October 2011
Kiwi Paul

Congrats, welcome to the m4/3 club John, you will love it.

Paul
Old 18th October 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woofmix View Post
Congrats, welcome to the m4/3 club John, you will love it.

Paul
Thanks Paul, I'm already there with an E-PL1, which is what convinced me to take it further. It's no E-3 but it is so much more portable and convenient. In a better handling, better specified and faster body I'm sure it has the potential to become my main system.

Old 20th October 2011

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

I have to say I went through the same thought process as John (albeit coming from a DSLR, the E-P3 is my first m4/3).

After trying all of the cameras, Panasonics and Olympus in various Jessops stores, I decided the E-P3 was the camera I wanted. I'd rather wait until I could afford it than pick one of the other ones, just because it felt right for me, handling wise, etc. I'm hoping to use it til it goes pop (a long time in the future I hope!), in the same way I can't see my current DSLR being replaced until that goes bang...

Then came along the very handy message about the Cameraworld Olympus day and I became the happy owner of one!

I would say at the moment, I can fit mine with the 17mm pancake on in my handbag (and no, it's not a Mary Poppins carpetbag!), as I bought the olympus wrapping case (which looks ugly but keeps the camera small). It's certainly not Canon Ixus small though, it's not going to fit in my jacket, but the size is OK for *my* tastes.

Now the lens I will be saving up for, for Focus next year is the 45mm Olympus. I am still hoping it will fit in the handbag, but I can cope if not!

I suspect that doesn't help any, but I can say I am really enjoying my PEN - it goes everywhere with me, even to the supermarket a couple of days ago in my lunch hour to photograph a nice Autumnal tree in the car park!
The Following User Says Thank You to Aniseedvan For This Useful Post:
Old 20th October 2011

Liked 63 Times in 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMC View Post
Shirley, we still don't know much about what you want of your new camera, other than "portability".

Is that an ability to put it in a pocket? If so, the interchangeability of the PEN lenses perhaps rules it out, unless you want several bulging pockets? You'd need a camera bag, or maybe a large handbag?

The XZ-1 fits in my jeans pocket, but 'only' 10MP and a maximum optical EFL of 112mm may not be sufficient for you if you're looking for large prints and a longer reach. But 112mm is better than the PEN's 14-42mm (EFL 84mm max).

So, is it ultimate image quality you're after, in which case a PEN and a bag of lenses is the solution, or a compromise for greater portability?

Tel us a little more.........

Hi David,

I don't really want or need it to fit into a pocket , just want something which is a bit smaller than my E30. I can get the E30 into some of my handbags but its really too big. I did consider the XZ1 but I think after a while I will be frustrated by the limitations of a fixed lens, also I would want the images to be good enough quality to enter into competitions and exhibitions so I think I need a better spec.

I am planning a trip to a camera shop to try some out...I suspect I will find it difficult to leave the shop without a new camera!

All the advice has been very helpful in getting my thinking straight and sorting out the differences between the versions.

Shirley
Old 20th October 2011

Liked 63 Times in 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Haha, yes, but I've had to sell some treasured items such as my Pentax digital spot meter to finance this - I hope I won't regret it!

I'll see how I get on using this kit exclusively for a while, then it's serious decision time - If I want to add to the kit (like a 45mm f1.8 for example) I will have to sell the E-3 kit, burning my bridges and going completely MFT.

Unless, of course, I win the latest competition - that might just give the FT gear a stay of execution.

Or if I get the job I have an interview for tomorrow - where's the Smilies for fingers crossed and praying on my hands and knees!

Shirley, I handled the E-P3 at my local shop again today and it really does feel right for me. I agree with others that it is probably not worth the money compared to other models, at least on paper, but handling is the No 1 priority for me these days and for that I'm prepared to pay a premium if I have to. good luck with coming to your own decision.
Hi John,
How did the interview go and has the camera arrived yet?
I have just sold my 7-14 lens so I could be buying something soon Still not finally decided, I think I need to handle a few cameras and see what I like. I may take a trip to SRS in Watford, I think they have a good selection of Olympus cameras.....probably end up with an E3/E5 after all this.
Shirley
Old 21st October 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley View Post
Hi John,
How did the interview go and has the camera arrived yet?
I have just sold my 7-14 lens so I could be buying something soon Still not finally decided, I think I need to handle a few cameras and see what I like. I may take a trip to SRS in Watford, I think they have a good selection of Olympus cameras.....probably end up with an E3/E5 after all this.
Shirley
Hi Shirley,

The interview went well, I think, but whether it went well enough to get the job is another matter. I should hear by Monday. I must admit I really want this job and not just for the money. It's with an organization which specializes in making participation in the arts possible for disabled and socially excluded people. They are nearing the completion of a 6.2 million re-development which will make their premises state of the art (no pun intended). The role I have applied for is as support worker to the Chief Executive and a project worker, both of whom have disabilities. I am genuinely excited by this opportunity and really hope I have made the right impression to become the lucky candidate. I feel I'm now in the right frame of mind and my medication is stable enough for me to cope with 3 days a week.

Anyone interested can visit their website here

I had hoped to pick up my camera today, from Cameraworld in Chelmsford who were getting a twin lens kit sent over from their London branch. However, the muppets in London sent an E-PL3 in error! Still, it wasn't a wasted trip as I collected the first 24 pictures for my exhibition from the framers on Chelmsford Market. These were all 15 or 16 inch prints, mounted, framed and glazed for 230. A bit of a bargain, I feel, and they've done a lovely job. Just another 16 to go! I have to go to Chelmsford again on Saturday so I'm hoping the correct Pen will have arrived at Cameraworld by then.

I agree that a visit to SRS for a hands-on is a good starting point, Shirley, you don't need me to tell you the importance of handling. I would love an E-5 but looking at the long-term practicallity of my situation the Pen is more suitable and it's lightweight portability will help keep me mobile for longer. You definitely won't want to carry an E-5 in your handbag, though!

Let us know what you get.

Old 21st October 2011

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
...However, the muppets in London sent an E-PL3 in error! ...
That doesn't surprise me a bit, I think the current 3 Pens are giving shop assistants a very hard time.
The bloke in Jessops had an e-pL3 on display next to the older e-pL2, and he swore it was an e-P3 until I made him look up the prices. He had to get the boxes out to check.
I'm guessing head office actually sent their own shop the 'wrong' camera too!
Old 21st October 2011

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfric M Douglas View Post
That doesn't surprise me a bit, I think the current 3 Pens are giving shop assistants a very hard time.
The bloke in Jessops had an e-pL3 on display next to the older e-pL2, and he swore it was an e-P3 until I made him look up the prices. He had to get the boxes out to check.
I'm guessing head office actually sent their own shop the 'wrong' camera too!
I had that, went in two Jessops; one had the ep3 and the other had the epl3, and the one with the epl3 swore it was a ep3 too!