Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Standard zoom and mid range

Standard zoom and mid range Lenses with focal lengths larger than 12mm, but no longer than 60mm, includes standard zooms and portrait primes plus some macro lenses.

Old 4th April 2008
Stannesman

Lens Dilemma - 17.5-45 - What to do?

Hi All,

At the tail end of last year, I managed to pick up the E410 with twin lens kit for 299 (with cashback), which was a bargain. The standard short lens is the 17.5-45mm, which seems to be regarded as a bit of a dog. So my dilemma is...

A. Is it really that bad?
B. I can pick up a standard 14-42mm on ebay for around 90 - would I be over the moon at the difference?
C. Should I save up pennies for the 14-54mm. Obviously this lens gets great write ups, but is it significantly better than the 14-42, compared to my (rather ugly) 17.5-45

Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Nigel
Old 4th April 2008
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Lens Dilemma - 17.5-45 - What to do?

I have a spare 14-42mm if you are interested. I can do it cheaper than the £90 on ebay.

I used to own the 17.5mm and although you can get better lenses, it still can take some good pictures.

The 14-54 is a much much better lens than the 17.5-45mm and the 14-42mm.

Are you going to one of the local days out this month? If so, you may be able to try some lenes out.

I will be at the Woburn(26th) and the Caerleon(19th) events.

Last edited by theMusicMan; 4th April 2008 at 03:34 PM.
Old 4th April 2008

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I've got the 14-54mm and it's a great lens – good quality, great build and weather sealed – but it's a good deal bigger and heavier than the 14-42mm, which I think is a consideration with an E410.
I have used this lens too and it's not bad at all and covers a useful wider range.
Old 4th April 2008
bobg

Hi Nigel,

Take a look at this site, as he compares 3 lenses the 17.5-45, the 14-45 and the 14-54

http://www.biofos.com/esystem/stnd_tst.html

Regards, Bob
Old 4th April 2008
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Personally, I'd have to say the 14-54mm is a superior lens if for nothing else it is quite a bit faster. I have to say though that the kit lenses have served me well also, and I won't be wanting to get rid of them anytime soon.

it really depends on what you want to be shooting. I have found the 14-54 quite exceptional as a portrait zoom lens, and have some great results with it. Having said that, I also took a few shots under difficult (for the lens) conditions with the kit lenses, and they yielded some quite remarkable results.

Have you anyone locally who may be able to let you try the 14-54mm...? Are you able to get to the Caerleon/Cardiff shoot coming up perhaps...? I am happy for you to try my 14-54mm.

Old 5th April 2008

Liked 272 Times in 112 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Melaka

It's difficult to see much merit in the 17.5-45mm other than its low price. With the rotating front lens you can't fit a polariser or a lens hood. Nobody seems to have tested the 14-42mm against the other short zooms but as the front end doesn't rotate that alone is an advantage. It's also quite small which can be a plus especially with the E4xx series. The 14-45mm often goes for a reasonable price on eBay but if you want the best there isn't much alternative to a 14-54mm or even a 12-60mm. I use a 14-42mm on the E510 if I want to travel light and the 14-54mm on the E3/HLD4 (when it gets back from its second trip to Olympus) for more serious purposes. I'm saving up for the 12-60mm.
Old 5th April 2008
Jim

If you want a degree of quality and speed but whilst also watching price then I would say the 14-54mm f2.8-3.5 fits that requirement. The 12-60mm is nice but cost more. With e-system users picking up the 12-60 the 14-54 can be found for some very keen prices.

Keep an eye on eBay but also used equipment shops like Ffordes Photographic, whilst slightly more expensive they do offer 6mths warranty on all used equipment.

Jim
Old 1st May 2008

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

The tests on the three standard zooms did somewhat surprise me regarding the 17.5-45mm lens. Whilst not a match for the 14-54 it stood up well against the 14-42mm. I have used this lens to take close-ups of my wife greetings cards she makes and been happy with the results (however I am going to buy a specific macro lens for future card taking shots along more importantly with macro lighting.
Well considering its cost I intend on keeping the little 17.5-45mm Oly.