Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Events

Events Find out about and discuss events relating to the Olympus E-System.

Old 23rd March 2011
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts
Re: Ho Ho, the future is small and mirrorless

I've got a spare G2 for sale ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by malc350 View Post
the more I think about it the more I quite like the idea of a G1, GH2 or whatever as that kind of body would be ideal to carry around everywhere.

Malc

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 23rd March 2011
Grumpy Member

Liked 539 Times in 249 Posts
Re: An Evening with Olympus - 24th March

I'd just like ti bring us back to the original core of this thread which was the future of 4/3 as a format.

The OVF v EVF whilst interesting is I suspect a largely redundent debate as the evidence suggests that mirrorless is going to be the way forward. I'm sure the technology will rapidly progress and we will have EVF performance which rivals OVF before very long.

The size debate is another issue and I fear may also be lost given the theme of the Olympus presentation. Personally I find that very disappointing

Apart from the ergonomics which, of course I can only comment from a purely individual perspective, for small cameras I do not like and find hard to get on with the spectre of small lenses, i.e. m 4/3, returns. Thus rendering investment in 4/3 glass a questionable option.

This is the issue for many people, myself included, and why people are leaving the format. Without a reasonable amount of confidence, we will of course never get absolute certainty from any manufacturer, I for one can not justify spending a great deal of money, which is what I was about to do, on great glass only to be told that I will have to buy an adapter to fit it on the front of a body it was not designed for from the handling point of view. For me at least the handling of the 4/3 E series was one of the factors for getting into it so taking that away spoils the decision making balance in a big way.

Olympus must surely be aware of the debate so I ask an open question to them.

What is the future of 4/3 and E system size cameras? Will you be producing a E50 and then E6, E60?

Sadly a null answer can only really be taken as negative in all respects.

Hec
Old 23rd March 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Strengths of four-thirds & micro 4/3

Personally I think one of the biggest strengths lies in producing long reach lenses at a comparatively small size, i.e. for wildlife or sports.

Though as lenses get longer we're up against the problems of camera shake (IS will help with a static subject) and as smaller apertures result from longer focal lengths (as a rule) the ISO has to be pushed to obtain a useable shutter speed.

That means high ISO performance has to get better, which it appears is happening, though the size of the sensor will possibly be more limiting than a larger sensor.

I personally do think 4/3 as a format has a future, but so does full frame and the 1.5/1.6x crop as it is now so established.

I also think SLRs are here to stay as well.

Horses for courses and all that....
Old 23rd March 2011
Administrator

Thanked 3,140 Times in 2,449 Posts
Liked 4,437 Times in 2,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Hec View Post
I'd just like ti bring us back to the original core of this thread which was the future of 4/3 as a format.

Hec
I thought the original core of the thread was Mark Thackara's visit to Graham's photographic society and did anyone wish to go.

Nevertheless the points that you make do echo an understandable concrn in the Olympus community.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 23rd March 2011
Grumpy Member

Liked 539 Times in 249 Posts

Fair point Zuiko - then again I am grumpy so I am required to go off on one every now and again.

grumpy hec
The Following User Says Thank You to Grumpy Hec For This Useful Post:
Zuiko (23rd March 2011)
Old 23rd March 2011

Liked 36 Times in 18 Posts

I know this is not the correct place to make this comment but as the thread has been hijacked already I want to use it to say "thank you" to Olympus for listening to my comments.

Whenever anyone on one of the various forums published an Olympus wish list I asked for a hyperlinked manual as well as a printed copy but the received wisdom was that the CDs that accompanied that paper copies came without these links. As far as I know the last Oly manual with these links was the E500 - but it did not have a paper copy.

Yesterday I bought an E5 (and a very nice camera it is) and was pleasantly surprised to find both a hyperlinked computer version and also a paper copy of the manual

Thank you Oly for listening

Roger
The Following User Says Thank You to RogerMac For This Useful Post:
Zuiko (23rd March 2011)
Old 23rd March 2011
Administrator

Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,232 Posts
Liked 1,651 Times in 739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Morison View Post
I am not sure if I've got the wrong end of the stick but my E5 and E30 can do this in live view if it is selected.

David
Yes, the E-5 has the manual focus ring sensitive critical focus zoom function like the Pens, but I don't think any of the DSLRs prior to the E-5 have this. Just had a look at my E-30 and I can't find this feature. There is the old cycle the INFO mode until the view with the green square, which can be zoomed, but that's not the same as an automatic zoom once the focus ring is activated.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 23rd March 2011

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts
Re: Could have been a contender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
On the EVFs of both Olympus and Panasonic, using manual focus, there's the option of magnifying an area of the viewfinder to aid focussing. Can't do this with any optical finder that I know of!
I was referring to the quote stating that the mirrorless cameras have the advantage of being able to zoom in without taking your eye away from the finder. I mistakenly assumed it referred to lens zooming not magnifying the image! I must take more tablets!

David
Old 23rd March 2011

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Yes, the E-5 has the manual focus ring sensitive critical focus zoom function like the Pens, but I don't think any of the DSLRs prior to the E-5 have this. Just had a look at my E-30 and I can't find this feature. There is the old cycle the INFO mode until the view with the green square, which can be zoomed, but that's not the same as an automatic zoom once the focus ring is activated.

Ian
Yes you are right on the E30, using the info button to select the centre square and then the OK button to zoom in on this I find is a better option than the one on the E5 as only a portion of the image is magnified, so you still know where you are when shooting hand-held, it is easy to lose your way when the whole image is OoF and magnified.

David