Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 15th January 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Think Pink! - Day 12

When I got my E-600 my intention was simply to take more photos, rekindle and expand/extend my skills. So I started a 'project 365' on Flickr with the aim to 1) take at least one photo a day, and 2) use every lens I've got at least once... And I've got a lot of lenses!

The most popular photo on Flickr so far is this one:

While it's nice for people to add it as a favourite and leave basic comments on Flickr, I'm after more constructive comments, so it's over to you...

And if you want to leave me any feedback on my Flickr stream too then please do, thanks.

Andew
Old 16th January 2011

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Re: Think Pink! - Day 12

I guess from the tags this was taken with carl zeiss 135, certainly the exif indicates a legacy lens.

I'm quite reluctant to start the discussion on this image, but as its been sitting here without comment for 12 hrs I'll have a go.

As an image/idea I like it a lot. It has got a strong idea and is well composed. It is almost more 'art' than a photograph.

However do have reservations about the execution (as a photograph). I guess it's been pulled quite hard in pp from an underexposed image, so you've got odd effects around the background highlights and a lot of colour noise in the background.

The deliberate use of burn out is brave and perhaps it has gone a bit far.

I also feel that the shoes are not quite as sharp as they should/could be.

So I think it's a very good idea as an image, but as a photograph it's probably a bit too flawed (and in ways that would show in prints/enlargements) to be a final work.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 16th January 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for your comments Nick.

Yes it was taken with a Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 135mm f3.5 M42 legacy telephoto.

Hmm... art? Well I've always thought art and photography are closely related!

The original image isn't underexposed, but yes it has been PP'd in Photoshop using a '60s Magazine' Filter. The 'odd effects' you refer to are in the original and are down to the lens bokeh/small DOF but have been magnified a bit by the PP.
As for the shoes, yes you're probably right as I focussed on the black/white on the ankle - something to remember next time.

Lastly it obviously a down sampled/resized image here so perhaps it's lost some of what a full size version might have.

Andrew
Old 16th January 2011

Liked 1,285 Times in 496 Posts

Ah, the Looking for Perfection thread

Well, as a '60s eye popper, its bang on the nose, but (LFP mode) could it be improved?

Well, for me it needs more depth of field so more of the shoe and foot are sharp. Also it seems the reflective top of the shoe is burnt out. Finally the background does have some noise in it which is a tad distracting in this modern no-noise no-grain era.

Most of this is in the eye of the beholder, but I do think it needs more dof for Perfection. That doesn't stop it being an arresting image however...

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.

Tags
135mm, carl zeiss, e-600, sonnar