Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk

Accessory talk Those important extra system components.

Old 18th February 2008

Liked 931 Times in 358 Posts
lens hood costs

So I am looking to get rid of my 50-200 so I can get the SWD one. My lens hood is cracked, tried to get a price for a new one but couldn't, but I did see the hood for the 2.8 300mm lens, 478. I know the lens is expensive but is this a rip off?

Dave.
Old 18th February 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: lens hood costs

Yes - but I have read that the 300mm is made to order, so the lens hood probably is too.

I haven't looked for it in the UK, but the 50-200 hood is US$40 from here https://emporium.olympusamerica.com/...sku=260007-410

I bought my 50-200 used with no lens hood - I doubt many people will be bothered by not having the hood. Didn't matter to me... but I prefer to use collapsible rubber lens hoods on tele lenses rather than the hard versions.
Old 18th February 2008

Liked 931 Times in 358 Posts
Re: lens hood costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughofBardfield View Post
Yes - but I have read that the 300mm is made to order, so the lens hood probably is too.

I haven't looked for it in the UK, but the 50-200 hood is US$40 from here https://emporium.olympusamerica.com/...sku=260007-410

I bought my 50-200 used with no lens hood - I doubt many people will be bothered by not having the hood. Didn't matter to me... but I prefer to use collapsible rubber lens hoods on tele lenses rather than the hard versions.
Maybe, but 10% of the total cost for a bit of plastic and three screws?? It is a pain to put on the lens too. Not the best design in my view. Even hand made it should not cost that amount. I will ask my engineer mate for an idea of the cost.

The £20 quoted for the 50-200 is not that bad, the retailer needs to make a profit so less than 5% of the total cost is not unreasonable I reckon.
Dave.

Last edited by sapper; 18th February 2008 at 11:43 AM. Reason: wrong price