Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-30

Olympus E-30 An Olympus 12.1MP upper mid-range DSLR, the E-30.

Old 9th February 2010

Liked 71 Times in 37 Posts
Jessop's latest newcomers to the E-30

Having now had the camera for about a week I thought it would be interesting to review initial impressions about the camera and whether it has met expectations.
Hopefully other newcomers to the E-30 will add their thoughts to this as they start exploring and getiing used to its capabilities.
The weather hasn't been ideal for outdoor work so most of my initial tests have been indoor, and there's still a lot to find out about the camera. I've used wrotniak's Olympus E-30 Setup Cheat Sheet http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/e30-sett-sheet.html as the basic settings, changing a few settings to suit my usage.

My initial thoughts:
  • Having all the extra focus points doesn't stop the camera from occasionally hunting - I tried a gull hunt in dull light and the lens did the hunting for me
  • I love the extra ISO settings (menu Settings 1E select 1/3 EV steps)
  • The on switch seems to be the wrong way round for my brain - I keep wanting to push up to switch on! Is it just me?!
  • The various shortcut buttons and dials are useful, but many do not immediately fall to hand or rather finger - some of this will improve once I'm used to the camera
  • I seem to be getting some really good results from handheld indoor shots at very low shutter speeds using the 70-300mm with minimal sign of blur - usually using my elbows as a 'tripod'. However for outdoors in the cold dull light of day I seem to shake a lot - must be age and definitely nothing to do with the camera!
  • I'm pleased with the little extra size and weight - it definitely suits my size hands

As I gradually get used to the camera no doubt some of these aspects will no doubt change. But I'm really excited about the possibilities that it brings.

Chris
Old 9th February 2010
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts
Re: Jessop's latest newcomers to the E-30

My (only) first thoughts so far as I've not had much chance to play are that focusiing, using the same lens, is quicker on the E-30 than the E-620, and than my previous E-3. And yes, the on/off switch does seem to go the "wrong" way!

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 9th February 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have had mine now for 7 months and am still learning how to best use this camera in different situations. I agree on the power switch does seem to be backwards, and like you I'm always turning it off to turn it on but that is about the only fault I have with the E-30, I also have the E-510 and it is a great little camera, but the E-30 has many advantages over the 510.
Old 13th February 2010
squirrelspants

Thumbs up Re: Jessop's latest newcomers to the E-30

I don't have a problem with the switch, light switches are pressed down for on as are most switches so is the switch on the E30, 'simples'....!
Old 13th February 2010
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

You've not been round the Big Hoose here, then! All lights have at least two switches, so what position they find themselves in is anyone's guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrelspants View Post
light switches are pressed down for on

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 13th February 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrelspants View Post
I don't have a problem with the switch, light switches are pressed down for on as are most switches so is the switch on the E30, 'simples'....!
And in my part of the world, lights with just one switch up is on.
Old 13th February 2010

Thanked 1,149 Times in 1,024 Posts
Liked 1,230 Times in 800 Posts

I agree the switch is the only thing so far that I have a problem with every thing else seems in the correct place and function. I did mention the IS and forgetting to turn it off but have been put right on it and will try to remember "if in doubt read the manual"

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?