Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Nostalgia Nexus - early and pre-digital discussion

Nostalgia Nexus - early and pre-digital discussion Want to discuss the really early days of digital and even film - here is the place for you.

Old 28th April 2019

Liked 416 Times in 199 Posts
Mamiya Question

How strange that Nigel has posted a few pics taken with a Mamiya 645, as last night I was in deep discussion with my Brothers daughters boyfriend who is in his last month or so of a degree in Photography. He picked up a used Mamiya from a local chap which had been given to him for free by the local Police who used to use it for forensic work but it was just sitting on a shelf, so they gave it away. He got it for a bit of a bargain it is a Mamiya RB67 Professional S and whilst it came with a 75mm lens he would like to find a 45/50mm lens if possible and also a strap which he is finding hard to locate..

I know there are many learned folk on here who may have the answer so if you have please reply.......he loves it by the way and carries out his own developing at the Uni as well but plans to go elsewhere when the course has finished and not into photography (he prefers non professional usage)

Peter
OMD-EM1 Mk2, 40-150. f2.8Pro, MC-14 converter, 7-14mm 2.8, 17mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8G, OM50mm 1.8, OM 28mm F2.8, OM 200mm F4 Giottos Silk Road YTL8384Tripod Giottos MH5011 head FL36 and other bits and bobs...
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
www.flickr.com/photos/141996687@N02/
Old 28th April 2019

Liked 2,250 Times in 1,486 Posts
Re: Mamiya Question

An RB67! That is a beast of a camera, and was the first of Mamiya's 'rotating back' machines - hence RB67.

I am fairly sure the RB is an all mechanical camera. There was a metering prism for them, but the Seiko leaf shutter, which is in the lens barrel, is an all mechanical affair. The mirror provides a second shutter, and like the RZ mirror, must be down for lenses to be changed.

The flash synch socket is also on the lens barrel of the RB and RZ, and provides synchronisation at all shutter speeds. The police and most other professionals used Metz guns, such as the CL45 and the mighty CL60 or studio flash.

The Mamiya RZ67 was a later, somewhat lighter model, followed by the RZ67 II (which I have) and the RZ67 SD, which was much the same as the RZ67 Pro II but provided external synchronisation for a digital back. All of the RZ67 range is fully electronic, and the electronics are good.

Lenses are readily available for the RB but will be at least twenty years old now so watch out for fungus. The RB lenses and some other accessories will fit the RZ, but not the other way around.

Johnsons Photopia were Mamiya's official UK importers but they went bust a year or two ago so genuine spares are difficult to track down at present, but there are plenty of repairers around.

If you have the D-rings for the strap I would recommend the Optech padded straps which are readily available. The original Mamiya straps were very narrow and weren't actually that good in my view.

The RB and RZ are generally considered much more robust than Hasselblad, which have a reputation for being a bit fragile by comparison. The Mamiya Sekkor lenses are superb, if somewhat big and heavy on the RB and RZ67's.

The Mamiya 645 Pro and Pro TL, which I also have, shares some similarities with the RB and RZ range, but they are much smaller and lighter, and are very different internally. The Mamiya 645 has a focal plane shutter which limits flash synch to 1/60, but there was a small range of lenses with leaf shutters.

I have tried to provide a brief overview here, but if there is anything further that I can help you with please fire away.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naughty Nigel For This Useful Post:
JohnGG (27th May 2019), Zuiko (29th April 2019)
The Following User Liked This Post:
drmarkf (30th May 2019)
Old 29th April 2019

Just to confirm, the RB is all mechanical.

I have a full brochure from Mamiya with details of all lenses and accessories if anyone is interested. I can scan it to a PDF file but will have to think of how best to distribute it.

In the meantime this link will take you to the Mamiya RB76 Pro SD Owner's Manual.

Other Mamiya manuals are available from http://www.mamiyaleaf.com/documentation.html

Actually I have just found Mamiya's legacy products page which will save me a scanning job. http://www.mamiyaleaf.com/legacy.html

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 29th April 2019

Liked 416 Times in 199 Posts

Nigel you're a star... as I mentioned to the lad on Saturday night, the Olympus forum is THE only forum worth its salt, friendly, knowledgeable and someone somewhere will have an answer..

All he needs to do is find a 45/50mm lens now, one available on fleabay buts its in the USA.. Hmmmm...

Peter
OMD-EM1 Mk2, 40-150. f2.8Pro, MC-14 converter, 7-14mm 2.8, 17mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8G, OM50mm 1.8, OM 28mm F2.8, OM 200mm F4 Giottos Silk Road YTL8384Tripod Giottos MH5011 head FL36 and other bits and bobs...
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
www.flickr.com/photos/141996687@N02/
drmarkf (30th May 2019)
Old 29th April 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocknroll59 View Post
All he needs to do is find a 45/50mm lens now, one available on fleabay buts its in the USA.. Hmmmm...

Peter
Pleased to have been of help. They are great cameras and deserve to be used.

The 75 mm lens is fairly wide angle on a 6 x 7 (equivalent to about 37 mm) so it would serve well as a general purpose optic. After all there is plenty of scope for cropping 6 x 7 negatives!

Mifsuds have a 65 mm lens for the RB, which is about the same as a 30 mm lens on 35 mm so wouldn't offer much benefit.

Mamiya 65 mm lens

I would suggest that you Brother's daughter's boyfriend takes it out and uses it before buying any more lenses. Unless he particularly wants a very wide angle lens (50 mm = about 24 mm equivalent) I would say he would be better off looking at the 90mm f/3.5 L (44 mm equivalent) or the 127mm f/3.5.

I find that for most purposes I use either the 110 mm f2.8 or 50 mm f4.5 on my RZ. However, note that the 110 mm lens was never made for the RB.

If he is at Uni they may well have RB lenses that can be borrowed by students. Sunderland certainty did.

As for buying abroad, I have bought several lenses and bodies from Japan and have always found them to be very good, clean and at least as good as described. Their prices also seem to be very fair. You may need to pay import duties but these are not too expensive. I don't like buying from the USA to be honest.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 27th May 2019

Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts

RB67 for free! When I bought mine I had to take out a bank loan as it cost 3x the price of my first car.

I could only afford one lens (not really afford as it was on a loan) which was a 180 for portraits. Then bought a 90, 127, 50, 65, extra backs, polaroid back. Kit bag was rather huge and heavy.

This was a while ago though...
Naughty Nigel (28th May 2019)
Old 28th May 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm500 View Post
RB67 for free! When I bought mine I had to take out a bank loan as it cost 3x the price of my first car.

I could only afford one lens (not really afford as it was on a loan) which was a 180 for portraits. Then bought a 90, 127, 50, 65, extra backs, polaroid back. Kit bag was rather huge and heavy.

This was a while ago though...
I bought my new, boxed RZ and 110 mm lens from Japan for a bargain price about four years ago but they seem to have skyrocketed since. In fact all film camera seem to be gaining value rapidly at the moment.

I recently bought a very nice 55 mm APO lens for the RZ from Japan with floating element which is producing some very pleasing results.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 29th May 2019

I can see me getting an RB67 or RZ67 kit somehow.....

Mal
Old 30th May 2019

Quote:
I can see me getting an RB67 or RZ67 kit somehow.....

Mal
You know you want to, and you really won't regret it.

The only drawback with the RB and RZ outfits is their sheer size and weight, but otherwise they are superb cameras.

I still have a Mamiya 645 outfit which I take on trecks for precisely this reason. The 645 is much smaller and lighter but still has a very respectably sized negative. The main drawback is the difficulty of using it in portrait mode with a waist level finder, and the limited flash synch speed unless the leaf shutter lenses are used.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 4th June 2019

Yes the RB and RZ may be monsters. But the rotating back was such an awesome idea. Stops you rotating the camera 90 degrees for portrait shots.

The Bronica GS-1 rotated 90 degrees with a prism or waist level finder was a scary sight!

Mal
Old 5th June 2019

Quote:
Yes the RB and RZ may be monsters. But the rotating back was such an awesome idea.
And so easy to use. I am surprised the rotating back concept was not used elsewhere although I suppose the square format of the Hasselblads and some Bronicas negated the need for it.

There are even some 6 x 8 backs around for the RZ I have heard.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 5th June 2019

Liked 840 Times in 539 Posts

It would have been handy on a 645 camera. As for 6x6, I let a friend try out my Mamiya 6 once and he turned it to portrait orientation to take a portrait, but soon realised his mistake . The downside of the RB/RZ rotating back of course is it adds bulk to an already bulky camera, and it's something else to forget about - I have the negs to prove it! Mine was an early example and there wasn't a clear indication in the viewfinder or orientation, though as the back had a separate wind-on lever I should really have noticed . I have a feeling the Polaroid back for those cameras was 6x8.
Naughty Nigel (6th June 2019)
Old 6th June 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
I have a feeling the Polaroid back for those cameras was 6x8.
I have a feeling that is right Richard, but I think there was a roll film 6x8 back too. In fact there are so many backs for the RZ, including a 6x6 back which takes 120 and 220 roll film, and a 35 mm back although I don't quite see the advantage of that one other than creating panoramic images, but you can do that by cropping.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 6th June 2019

Liked 840 Times in 539 Posts

There were 645 and 35mm adaptors for my Mamiya 6MF too and I couldn't see the advantages of those either. In fact the 645 one was just a horizontal mask so you didn't even save any film!
Old 6th June 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
There were 645 and 35mm adaptors for my Mamiya 6MF too and I couldn't see the advantages of those either. In fact the 645 one was just a horizontal mask so you didn't even save any film!
The 6x6 adaptor for the RZ was and is very expensive. It might have saved a small amount of film so the only real advantage was that it took both 120 and 220 roll films.

Mamiya have a wonderful range of accessories but putting it all together out in the field can be a bit if a challenge! I have two leaf shutter lenses for the Mamiya 645 that I bought new from Ffordes when they were almost giving them away. They are superb optics but fitting them is not a 30 second job.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing