Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 24th April 2019

Liked 846 Times in 541 Posts
Re: Electric Vehicles Emit more CO2 than Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by wornish View Post
Why not fasten a wind-powered generator on the car roof so it recharges the batteries as you drive along. Saves you having to stop to recharge every couple of hundred miles.

Better still, use a sail!!
The Following User Liked This Post:
MJ224 (24th April 2019)
Old 24th April 2019

Liked 3,313 Times in 1,536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
Better still, use a sail!!
5 knots then.....better bring lunch...

My Flickr
Old 24th April 2019
Administrator

Thanked 3,140 Times in 2,449 Posts
Liked 4,437 Times in 2,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
I understand now.

We get rid of all the diesel cars in favour of the less polluting electric cars, but then need diesel generators to enable us to charge them.

Jax
Which brings us to the real issue. It's not a matter of which fuel we are going to use in future, it's how much we are going to cut our annual mileage. We need more people working from home, online business meetings rather than face to face, holidays closer to home and definitely not abroad, more trade with our own continent and less with the rest of the world, more public transport and generally less car ownership. None of us are going to like it but we need radical action and we need it now!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following User Says Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
Jax (24th April 2019)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
MJ224 (25th April 2019), Naughty Nigel (24th April 2019)
Old 24th April 2019
Administrator

Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,232 Posts
Liked 1,650 Times in 739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Which brings us to the real issue. It's not a matter of which fuel we are going to use in future, it's how much we are going to cut our annual mileage. We need more people working from home, online business meetings rather than face to face, holidays closer to home and definitely not abroad, more trade with our own continent and less with the rest of the world, more public transport and generally less car ownership. None of us are going to like it but we need radical action and we need it now!
I haven't commuted to work more than a couple of miles since the late 80s and I work at home now. However, I do travel a lot because of work. I'm not sure the lack of commuting miles is adequate compensation!

Like electric cars, commercial passenger aircraft will eventually be electric, but it will take several decades, minimum.

Fingers crossed for fusion power!

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Zuiko (25th April 2019)
Old 24th April 2019

Liked 460 Times in 242 Posts

Public transport is all very well .... providing it takes us where we want to go and at a reasonable price.

To go on a bus to our nearest postcode town costs 4.50 .... for a distance of just five miles.

To get to our nearest supermarket would be a nightmare on the bus.

In our area at least, the bus routes are abysmal, having to go into town before moving on to where we actually want to go (that's if a bus goes near enough.)

Public transport, or the lack of it, has actually driven (pun intended) people onto the roads in cars.
The Following Users Liked This Post:
MJ224 (25th April 2019), wornish (24th April 2019)
Old 24th April 2019

Liked 188 Times in 126 Posts

Quote:
Agreed, all very valid points John.

I feel however, given the average selfish, NIMBY attitude of the population, it would require drastic legislation to achieve and be an impossible voluntary task. When you consider the current Parliamentary fiasco, getting agreement on such as the above would take years, if ever, to implement and no doubt be too late. I don't profess to have any answers but, as you, I feel urgent action is needed sooner than later.

Jax
Old 24th April 2019

Liked 2,250 Times in 1,486 Posts

Quote:
It isn't just business meetings either. Where is the justification for thousands of delegates and other hangers-on flying to the furthest points of the globe to attend climate change summits?

Then there is the showbiz set who fly to climate change protests in their private jets, but drive a Toyota Pious to show they care about the environment. For that matter, where is the justification for 60,000 people flying thousands of miles to watch 22 overpaid prima donnas kicking a ball around? You see more on the telly!

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Says Thank You to Naughty Nigel For This Useful Post:
wornish (24th April 2019)
MJ224 (25th April 2019)
Old 24th April 2019

Liked 417 Times in 200 Posts

I like the thought John, but here they have proposed a new 'village' with 2500 houses, no thought given to public transport (there won't be any apparently) as a fair few will be social housing so how do they get into town to buy stuff and to the local supermarkets?. It will take a radical rethink by all our politicians to stop people using their cars and flying abroad. The French did at least one thing right they didn't shut their railway system down and you can't fly inter city easily in France they built more railways and connected them to the existing network, we have so much to learn.
OMD-EM1 Mk2, 40-150. f2.8Pro, MC-14 converter, 7-14mm 2.8, 17mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8G, OM50mm 1.8, OM 28mm F2.8, OM 200mm F4 Giottos Silk Road YTL8384Tripod Giottos MH5011 head FL36 and other bits and bobs...
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
www.flickr.com/photos/141996687@N02/
wornish (24th April 2019)
Old 24th April 2019

Liked 1,462 Times in 717 Posts

The nearest bus service to my house is a 3 mile walk away! Same for the nearest shop.

I could always use click and deliver from my nearest supermarket I suppose, they do however seem to drive diesel delivery vans, so that's a non-starter.

I did manage to work from home for over 10 years from the mid-1990's managing people in the USA, Europe and Asia using this thing called the internet which politicians might catch on to - one day!

That said there isn't much sun in Cheshire and I do need a summer holiday now and again. Its a long long train ride to the Algarve or anywhere warm from home. Also, last I checked they don't grow bananas here so guess we will need more cargo ships from the Caribbean, oh no more diesel.

Habits need to change but some things need to stay.

My Flickr
Old 24th April 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocknroll59 View Post
I like the thought John, but here they have proposed a new 'village' with 2500 houses, no thought given to public transport (there won't be any apparently) as a fair few will be social housing so how do they get into town to buy stuff and to the local supermarkets?. It will take a radical rethink by all our politicians to stop people using their cars and flying abroad. The French did at least one thing right they didn't shut their railway system down and you can't fly inter city easily in France they built more railways and connected them to the existing network, we have so much to learn.
Many of the new houses are so small, and have such small gardens that residents need to escape in their spare time. How else can you do it other than driving in situations like these?

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
MJ224 (25th April 2019)
Old 24th April 2019

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

I had the wood burner going tonight. But it's carbon neutral, right!

on flickr
Old 24th April 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
I had the wood burner going tonight. But it's carbon neutral, right!
Yes, right, and they smell gorgeous, but wood burners create irritant particulates, apparently.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 24th April 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
Yes, right, and they smell gorgeous, but wood burners create irritant particulates, apparently.
It's ok I keep the stove door shut, only opening to chuck some wood in as and when necessary.

on flickr
Old 24th April 2019

Can we talk Steam Trains next? Love 'em, bring them back please.

on flickr
Old 25th April 2019

Liked 3,313 Times in 1,536 Posts

The whole Hog

by Mark Johnson, on Flickr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
Can we talk Steam Trains next? Love 'em, bring them back please.
Go the whole hog, and bring back horse and carts, they smell good too, for a bit anyway.....

My Flickr
OM USer (25th April 2019)