Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 24th April 2019

Liked 419 Times in 201 Posts
Re: Electric Vehicles Emit more CO2 than Diesel

I've never owned a diesel that 'smoked'...in fact the diesel I currently own is less polluting than the current petrol cars, and having spoken to many engineers and 'in trade' friends etc the current crop are less polluting than ever.

As for the quote earlier about deaths due to diesel cars, has anyone seen that on a death certificate? I don't think you can actually attribute that as a true 'fact'...the general state of the air that we breathe is made up of many factors as someone living in a city/industrial environment that dies of conditions due to air quality faces a totally different air than someone in a rural country area that dies of the same condition.

Having a friend who worked in the Elec Generating industry recently retired the grid system would not cope at all with an influx of EV's, in fact we would need to produce a much larger amount than we do at present to even sustain a 20% rise and where is that coming from?? Not many new generators are in the pipeline and the cost is getting larger and larger bourne by the user as is normal so elec costs will rise... as for hooking up when on a journey well judging by the amount that would be needed for the sheer scale of numbers and length of time to charge you could be spending more time off the road on your journey than on it. If you also happen to live in a street where your car is park on the road what chance of a trailing lead which could well cause accidents from your house to your car ?? I think the jump to electric is slightly more premature than we all think.
OMD-EM1 Mk2, 40-150. f2.8Pro, MC-14 converter, 7-14mm 2.8, 17mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8G, OM50mm 1.8, OM 28mm F2.8, OM 200mm F4 Giottos Silk Road YTL8384Tripod Giottos MH5011 head FL36 and other bits and bobs...
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
www.flickr.com/photos/141996687@N02/
The Following User Says Thank You to Rocknroll59 For This Useful Post:
Jax (24th April 2019)
Old 24th April 2019

Liked 2,253 Times in 1,487 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
We're unashamedly also making a rare self-indulgent purchase of an expensive luxury car that also has a lot of performance

Ian
Enjoy it!

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 24th April 2019

Liked 2,253 Times in 1,487 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocknroll59 View Post
I've never owned a diesel that 'smoked'...in fact the diesel I currently own is less polluting than the current petrol cars, and having spoken to many engineers and 'in trade' friends etc the current crop are less polluting than ever.
Agreed. And given the opportunity and incentive I have no doubt that engineers could redesign ICE vehicles so that they became significantly cleaner and more efficient than they are now.

The problem at present is that cars at all price points are essentially throwaway items built in the shortest possible time at the lowest possible cost. We need to move away from this model to newer, more efficient designs where time, effort and money are spent optimising performance and emissions. An added benefit could be greater longevity.

As an example, remapping engines alone can significantly reduce fuel consumption whilst providing more performance. Optimising combustion chamber parameters on an engine to engine basis would yield similar additional benefits.

Think if every vehicle on the road used 25% less fuel and created 25% less pollution? But the motor manufacturers won't do this because it would mean spending more time on the production line rather than flashing them with 'one size fits all' ECU software.

If you think this isn't possible please explain why my 3.0 Litre V6 twin turbocharged, two ton Jag uses significantly less fuel than our 1.4 litre one ton Corsa? Friends who have had their Jags remapped talk of even better fuel economy in addition to the extra power.

Quote:
As for the quote earlier about deaths due to diesel cars, has anyone seen that on a death certificate? I don't think you can actually attribute that as a true 'fact'...
I strongly suspect that road vehicles are a convenient and easily taxed scapegoat. There are many other sources of pollution including diesel powered trains and construction vehicles, not to mention domestic heating systems which generate a lot of nitrous oxides.

Quote:
Having a friend who worked in the Elec Generating industry recently retired the grid system would not cope at all with an influx of EV's, in fact we would need to produce a much larger amount than we do at present to even sustain a 20% rise and where is that coming from??
Easy. Diesel generators!

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 24th April 2019

True..and of course multi national profit greedy companies are guilty as much as any..

Remapping engines..well of course that can be done, but its the EU (lets not go down that route ) who stipulate what engines should be set at when they leave the factory...

When my car goes by the 3 year warranty I intend to remap it asap. Better economy and even less emissions.

The throw away society has applied to far too much in the last 30 odd years...

Peter
OMD-EM1 Mk2, 40-150. f2.8Pro, MC-14 converter, 7-14mm 2.8, 17mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8G, OM50mm 1.8, OM 28mm F2.8, OM 200mm F4 Giottos Silk Road YTL8384Tripod Giottos MH5011 head FL36 and other bits and bobs...
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
Old 24th April 2019
Administrator

Liked 1,568 Times in 900 Posts

So: To drive up to Scotland, I will need to tow a Diesel generator...

Perhaps the answer will be exchangeable battery packs, that are solar panel/wind turbine charged.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 24th April 2019

Liked 1,463 Times in 718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post

Perhaps the answer will be exchangeable battery packs, that are solar panel/wind turbine charged.

Why not fasten a wind-powered generator on the car roof so it recharges the batteries as you drive along. Saves you having to stop to recharge every couple of hundred miles.

There may be a fault in this proposal but don't tell anyone

My Flickr
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Jax (24th April 2019), Naughty Nigel (24th April 2019)
Old 24th April 2019

That's a fantastic idea the faster you travel the quicker the turbine will go and the faster it will recharge, it wouldn't need to be on the roof, it could be at the front where the radiator would be !! can we patent that now?
Old 24th April 2019
Administrator

Liked 1,568 Times in 900 Posts

I like the idea of an electromagnet on the front, to get a tow from trucks on the motorway...

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
The Following User Liked This Post:
wornish (24th April 2019)
Old 24th April 2019

Thanked 1,479 Times in 1,407 Posts
Liked 1,392 Times in 889 Posts

You will be able to tell from my question that I have yet to look into the ownership of an electric vehicle but how does one pay for charging at the charging points that have appeared in the mororway services, supermarket car parks, and roadside charging bays? Is it just put your credit card in? Do you need an account? Do you need a different account account depending who installed/runs the charging point? Do you pay for the the amount of charge (KWH) pumped into the car or the hookup time? Can you set a timer, price limit, capacity limit (i.e. take my battery to 80%) so you do not pay more than you want to but "fill up" just enough to get you home? Does the price vary at different charging points and how does that compare with charging at home? Can you charge at any point if you have the right adaptor to hand and how many adaptors would you need?
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
Learn something new every day
Naughty Nigel (24th April 2019)
Old 24th April 2019

Liked 3,320 Times in 1,541 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM USer View Post
You will be able to tell from my question that I have yet to look into the ownership of an electric vehicle but how does one pay for charging at the charging points that have appeared in the mororway services, supermarket car parks, and roadside charging bays? Is it just put your credit card in? Do you need an account? Do you need a different account account depending who installed/runs the charging point? Do you pay for the the amount of charge (KWH) pumped into the car or the hookup time? Can you set a timer, price limit, capacity limit (i.e. take my battery to 80%) so you do not pay more than you want to but "fill up" just enough to get you home? Does the price vary at different charging points and how does that compare with charging at home? Can you charge at any point if you have the right adaptor to hand and how many adaptors would you need?
As far as I have experienced, you have to subscribe to a supplier who has electric pumps. I use Ecotricity, who have charging points at all (most of) motorway service stations. I also use Ecotricity to supply my home with Electric and gas. There are several suppliers, at some supermarkets, again you have to subscribe to them . All a bit bitty, some suppliers have different connectors, which you can buy.

Personally, I almost always charge at home. If I want to go further, I rely on the motorway Ecotricity. They have the fast chargers, which charge up the vehicle in less that 30 minutes. I used to subscribe to a supplier who had chargers at Asda. But on the few occasions that I tried to charge, the charger was out of use...……

As a user of a "small EV", my daily mileage is almost always within the initial daily charge, so rarely use these charging points. I still have my RX8 just in case I need to do longer journeys...…….

My Flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to MJ224 For This Useful Post:
OM USer (24th April 2019)
Ian (24th April 2019), OM USer (24th April 2019)
Old 24th April 2019
Administrator

Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,232 Posts
Liked 1,652 Times in 739 Posts

Quote:

Tesla designed the Model S with hot-swappable battery packs in mind. It can be done in 5 minutes. A service for doing this was trialled in California but it appears that owners didn't find it necessary.

There are enough Superchargers on the way to and in Scotland to alleviate 'range anxiety'

With careful driving the 85D model Tesla we're aiming for could, theoretically, do over 300 miles on one charge. But you wouldn't be driving very fast

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 24th April 2019
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ224 View Post
As far as I have experienced, you have to subscribe to a supplier who has electric pumps. I use Ecotricity, who have charging points at all (most of) motorway service stations. I also use Ecotricity to supply my home with Electric and gas. There are several suppliers, at some supermarkets, again you have to subscribe to them . All a bit bitty, some suppliers have different connectors, which you can buy.

Personally, I almost always charge at home. If I want to go further, I rely on the motorway Ecotricity. They have the fast chargers, which charge up the vehicle in less that 30 minutes. I used to subscribe to a supplier who had chargers at Asda. But on the few occasions that I tried to charge, the charger was out of use...

As a user of a "small EV", my daily mileage is almost always within the initial daily charge, so rarely use these charging points. I still have my RX8 just in case I need to do longer journeys....
An electric RX8 conversion - now that would be nice!

Ian

Old 24th April 2019

Liked 3,320 Times in 1,541 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Tesla designed the Model S with hot-swappable battery packs in mind. It can be done in 5 minutes. A service for doing this was trialled in California but it appears that owners didn't find it necessary.

There are enough Superchargers on the way to and in Scotland to alleviate 'range anxiety'

With careful driving the 85D model Tesla we're aiming for could, theoretically, do over 300 miles on one charge. But you wouldn't be driving very fast

Ian
And not too much use of heaters or air conditioning......

My Flickr
Ian (24th April 2019)
Old 24th April 2019
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM USer View Post
My understanding is that you would sign up to one of the competing EV charging networks. The service will probably be managed by an app, so no need to bring any money with you. You would be able to control how much charging is required. Yes, prices do vary but I think pricing for one network is the same nationally, unlike petrol stations. It's normally more expensive to charge than at home with a decent domestic supply deal tailored for EV owners.

I'm sure the unit of charge would be KWH. The vast majority of charging stations are now using the standard Type 2 fitting, so users of older Type 1 ports would use an adapter.

For me, the Tesla itself would be endowed with free lifetime Supercharging at similar locations (motorway services, etc. and even lower speed charging at some restaurants, hotels and other destinations).

Ian

The Following User Says Thank You to Ian For This Useful Post:
OM USer (24th April 2019)
MJ224 (24th April 2019), OM USer (24th April 2019)
Old 24th April 2019
Administrator

Quote:
I like the idea of an electromagnet on the front, to get a tow from trucks on the motorway...
A guy in Denmark I think made a video of a long range attempt using his Tesla and he used slipstreaming behind lorries to increase the range It's easy to do in a Tesla because you can set the car to maintain a preset distance behind the vehicle in front of you.

Ian