Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 15th April 2019

Liked 847 Times in 542 Posts
Re: Indiscreet "special" phone charges

I have BT Mobile which has unlimited SMS included, plus a set limit on voice and data. There doesn't appear to be a reduction in the usage allowance if a call fails which suggests calls are charged only after connection. I have never been charged for any extra texts despite sending some quite long ones occasionally.
Old 15th April 2019

Liked 188 Times in 126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee man View Post
Just been told by the secretary of a club I chair that he has been charged 5 each month for sending a group text reminding committee members of a meeting even though he has unlimited free texts. On checking he was told group texts count as media messages and not texts so are chargeable!

Ed

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Ed's post clearly states the 5 charge is for sending "Group Texts" ( 1 text sent to several recipients ) These are classed as chargeable by the phone company concerned. It's not a matter of large texts being chopped up or anything similar.

Jax
Old 15th April 2019

Thanked 1,149 Times in 1,024 Posts
Liked 1,230 Times in 800 Posts

As said above the message was

" reminder of meeting Tuesday 7:30"

It was a group text sent to ten people and was charged at 5. 50p per person.

On finding the 5 charge the person concerned contacted O2 and was told that the charge was for a group text which is treated as media message?

He normally never gets charged more than his monthly tariff as he has free unlimited calls and texts. He noticed a 5 extra charge each month for three months so enquired what it was. He has been secretary for three months.

He has now found same group type message with WhatsApp is free.

Ed

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
Old 15th April 2019

Liked 2,253 Times in 1,487 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wornish View Post
What a rip-off. The whole Mobile ecosystem needs exposing.
Mobile telecoms in particular seems to be a nasty business all round.

Much of the industry's profits are generated by selling ridiculous packages to parents of school age children who must have the latest iPhone and must be able to stream videos in the playground.

I went to court with an independent telecoms provider last year who cold called me purporting to be BT and sold me an updated Contract on that basis. I found out two days later that they were nothing to do with BT, (with chom I was still in Contract) so I terminated the new Contract. Said company, which is based in Crewe then took me to court claiming in excess of 7,500 for breaching their miss-sold Contract!

I won but I know for a fact that many other people paid up for fear of going to court, which seemed to be their game plan all along.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Liked This Post:
wornish (15th April 2019)
Old 15th April 2019

Liked 1,462 Times in 717 Posts

Did you get your costs covered and also any damages?

Did they get fined or simply a slapped wrist?

My Flickr
Old 15th April 2019

Liked 2,253 Times in 1,487 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wornish View Post
Did you get your costs covered and also any damages?

Did they get fined or simply a slapped wrist?
Sadly not. The whole idea of the Small Claims Court is that legal costs are kept to a minimum. You don't necessarily need a Lawyer although I did take legal advice before submitting my defence. The telecoms company sent their 'In House Lawyer' who could only have claimed a modest fee (125 I think) plus reasonable travel expenses had they won.

Interestingly, one of the telecoms company's tactics was to threaten me that their Lawyers costs would amount to 50,000 plus and that they would repossess our house to cover their costs. That threat clearly worked with some of their other happy customers, but I knew that was bullshit so I met them head on.

Despite the threats I don't think actually going to court was ever part of their game plan.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Says Thank You to Naughty Nigel For This Useful Post:
wornish (15th April 2019)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Darkroom (17th April 2019)