Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > General photography discussion

General photography discussion Please look for a specific board to start your thread but if you can't find an appropriate one, post it here.

Old 27th January 2019

Thanked 1,246 Times in 935 Posts
Liked 5,950 Times in 1,939 Posts
Re: FF or DX as second camera, which would you choose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wornish View Post
I can tell from your recent posts that you are hovering.
This is no cure for GAS that I have found.
Yeah, now that's a truism. Best way to avoid it is to look at photographs you've already taken
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 27th January 2019

Liked 873 Times in 309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Wales View Post
The two 'kit' Sony lenses 24-70 and 28-70 don't get too good a press at all, the cheaper 28-70 coming out better if anything...so where now I wonder, iffy Sony lenses or Z6 banding....??????????

I could just be £2k better off.
The only Sony zoom lens in that range that I think is worth considering is the 24-105 f/4.
However then you're back to the size argument, thought to be fair it's not huge (about the same length as a 12-100).

The f/1.8 primes are much more manageable of course.

Still I'm not over enthralled by Sony bodies or their odd lens fail.

The example of the Z6/7 banding I've seen doesn't look too bad and it would only be present when really pushing the dynamic range envelope in post.
I wonder if Nikon will release a firmware fix?
I know that Sigma released a firmware fix for visible contrast detect pixels with their SD Quattro for example.

Olympus equipment (mainly)
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 27th January 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greytop View Post

The example of the Z6/7 banding I've seen doesn't look too bad and it would only be present when really pushing the dynamic range envelope in post.
I wonder if Nikon will release a firmware fix?
I know that Sigma released a firmware fix for visible contrast detect pixels with their SD Quattro for example.
I'm sure it's fixable in firmware Huw. The PDAF pixels need to be edited out of the final image by interpolation and I guess what we're seeing is a less-than-perfect implementation. Sony (or any manufacturer producing cameras with PDAF on-sensor) will have exactly the same challenge.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 27th January 2019

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

Personally I'd stick to a prime lenses. I understand why many love their zooms for the convenience, but I like 'fast' glass, a Nifty-Fifty' Nikkor f1.4 would be my choice. More or less it's all you need.

Dave, if like me you tend to take fewer photographs than you once did, but fancy a bit of FF fun, a good start would be a film camera such as the Nikon FM2, coupled with a Nikkor 50 f1.4 or the cheaper - and some say the better - f/1.8.

However, the F6 is still available new if you wish to be the first owner. The F6 could and should be the last camera you ever need to purchase.

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2018...000-price-tag/

on flickr
Old 27th January 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
Personally I'd stick to a prime lenses. I understand why many love their zooms for the convenience, but I like 'fast' glass, a Nifty-Fifty' Nikkor f1.4 would be my choice. More or less it's all you need.

Dave, if like me you tend to take fewer photographs than you once did, but fancy a bit of FF fun, a good start would be a film camera such as the Nikon FM2, coupled with a Nikkor 50 f1.4 or the cheaper - and some say the better - f/1.8.

However, the F6 is still available new if you wish to be the first owner. The F6 could and should be the last camera you ever need to purchase.

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2018...000-price-tag/
Primes don't really work for landscape or cityscape photography though Steve. I agree that for street, portrait etc that primes are best.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 27th January 2019

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
Primes don't really work for landscape or cityscape photography though Steve. I agree that for street, portrait etc that primes are best.
I don't understand why you say that Paul. MFT offers many prime lenses suitable for landscapes and cityscapes, eg 12mm, 17mm, 25mm, 45mm, 75mm, and potentially others I'm not aware of.

Edit: The equivalent line up in FF of course, since we're talking big boy stuff here. To anyone starting out, I'd say mount a 50mm and shoot for a year without considering another lens. With one exception, some are more comfortable with a 35mm

on flickr
Old 27th January 2019

Liked 1,247 Times in 711 Posts

I’d say both approaches can work, but they have differing advantages and disadvantages depending on the effects you want to create, the city environment you’re shooting, and the circumstances of your visit.

For example, I find the 12-100 is wonderful if you’re visiting with others and don’t have the time and freedom to walk around testing out different viewpoints and perspectives. If you’re on your own, I find the discipline of using primes forces you to think more about your shots - you probably get fewer, but the keeper rate is usually higher.

The 7.5 f2 Laowa is a brilliant and tiny city travel lens to add to Steve’s list.

Edit: I’ve done quite a few city trips over the years with just a 35mm equivalent lens on a variety of bodies. I admit to feeling a bit of zoom-anxiety on the plane over, but in retrospect I have never felt I’ve missed out on good images. You know the perspective you have and you concentrate on looking for matching images. The lack of size/weight and ‘stuff’ to worry about is truly liberating.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Ricoh (27th January 2019)
Old 27th January 2019

Liked 207 Times in 136 Posts

DX is, effectively, MFT with the frame ratio changed from 4:3 to 3:2. The height if the frame is very similar in both formats.

The only reason to change to DX would be if you prefer the wider format. FF has a much larger area and therefore, potentially, better performance. especially in low light levels.

If you want to explore the low-light performance of a larger sensor, then you need to go to FF (or larger) to see a significant difference.
Old 27th January 2019

I see the latest A7 series sensors have their own imaging issues when pushed in particular ways: there are several threads like this running on the dpreview FF Sony forum: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62010566

Too much Oly gear.
Old 28th January 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
I don't understand why you say that Paul. MFT offers many prime lenses suitable for landscapes and cityscapes, eg 12mm, 17mm, 25mm, 45mm, 75mm, and potentially others I'm not aware of.
When you're shooting a landscape Steve, you can't zoom with your feet to change the framing. A zoom is the only way to get the framing you need without either losing something or cropping later.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 28th January 2019

Liked 207 Times in 136 Posts

Somehow, landscape photography existed before 1959, when Voigtlander introduced the Zoomar Lens
Old 28th January 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
I see the latest A7 series sensors have their own imaging issues when pushed in particular ways: there are several threads like this running on the dpreview FF Sony forum: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62010566
Fascinating! It goes to show that the algorithms that process the raw sensor data to produce a "raw" file are clearly very complex and probably poorly understood even by the engineering teams at Sony. When we think we're getting the raw data, it's clear that we're badly misguided!

It's also interesting at the people level. Whilst most contributors to the thread understand entirely that the posterisation only occurs in rather unusual circumstances (but who want to understand it nevertheless), there are others who just want to deny there a real problem because they've never seen it and so therefore decide that the best response is to be rude and throw around ad-hominem attacks. Humans can be so stupid....
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 29th January 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
It's also interesting at the people level. Whilst most contributors to the thread understand entirely that the posterisation only occurs in rather unusual circumstances (but who want to understand it nevertheless), there are others who just want to deny there a real problem because they've never seen it and so therefore decide that the best response is to be rude and throw around ad-hominem attacks. Humans can be so stupid....
Yes, especially on dpreview! I dip in to both the Sony and m4/3 fora and you see the same contributors trolling away for thousands of words a week: you learn to avoid them. Itís sad, because there are a number of extremely good people in both places.

Too much Oly gear.