Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Telephoto

Telephoto Lenses with focal lengths longer than 60mm.

Old 31st May 2009

Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
new 70-300 user - please explain!!

I bought the 70-300 on friday so have been playing with it over the weekend and am quite impressed so far. I'm no technical expert however so I would be very grateful if someone could try and explain what I have noticed when using the lens, I assume it's something to do with the lens construction but I am just puzzled and the lens leaflet explained nothing.

When zoom ring is set at 70 and the object is at 5ft the lens extends to show the 70mm line, and when I zoom to 300 the lens extends to show the 300 mm line. I understand that!!
When however the zoom ring is set at 70 and the object is at say 25ft the lens retracts fully, and when I zoom to 300 the lens extends only extends to midway between the 150 and 300mm lines.

Lens is set on AF.

Do I have a problem with the lens or, as I suspect, my brain??

Thanks in anticipation, Kevin

Old 31st May 2009

Liked 122 Times in 62 Posts
Re: new 70-300 user - please explain!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldyb View Post
Do I have a problem with the lens or, as I suspect, my brain??

Thanks in anticipation, Kevin

Easiest way to check is take pictures... if they are in focus and more or less as you saw through the camera then it is the brain...Oly dont fix these so you have to live with it...
If the images are out of focus or very different from what you saw through the camera you will need to post some up for us to look at...
the lines are just an indicator of the magnification when using the lens at short distances...
Get used to the foibles of the lens - occasionally loses focus and you need to turn the focus ring - and you will get some very nice pictures...
Old 31st May 2009
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Hi Kevin

The Oly 70-300mm is indeed an excellent lens and is capable of some superb results. Check out some users www sites from here, there are many who have used this lens with wonderful results.

What [I think] you have spotted is the difference in which parts of the lens move to (1) focus on the subject and (2) zoom in/out - and you have nothing to worry about at all.

As Chris suggests, why not take some pics and post them here using the free gallery space provided. We can then offer comment and advice as to the lens (and images )

Look forward to seeing your images.

PS: though not officially a Macro lens, the 70-300 also serves well in this area. Flick the switch to manual mode and you can focus on objects closer than you could with Auto-focus.

Old 1st June 2009

Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts

Thanks for the reassuring advice, Chris and John.

I will put some pictures up in a few days when I've got a bit more used to the lens, but I have looked at the quality of other pictures on the site and am a bit concerned that I'll just get the three red x's from the judges!! [SIZE="1"]/SIZE]

, Kevin