Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 21st October 2017

Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Have I done the right thing?

Having used Olympus since 1984, and still having OM1/1n/2/2n/2SP/4Ti collecting dust but too nice to sell, and then moving to an E300 and an E3, a couple of years ago I bought an E-PL5 and haven't looked back - light easy to carry and even works with 4/3 and OM lenses, so the E-3 was sidelined. Temptation was growing to go OM-D - then, being forced into Birmingham city centre for the first time for ages, there in Jessops were their last two, ex-display E-M1 Mark 1s, one body only, one with a 12-40. A week of indecision, then the one with the 12-40 was mine.

First reaction is I love how it feels; I actually prefer the button layout to the Mk11. Struggling with setting it up to my preferred formats, but that will come quickly (I hope), but the first results (after i found super fine - why do Olympus always hide it?) look as good as I hoped.

OK, it's not a Mk11, but at way under half the price of a Mk11 for a new camera and lens, it seems good value and a sensible buy.

Now, what do I need to sell to pay for it all - maybe the E-3 and an OM 600mm lens might help? Watch this space.
Old 21st October 2017

Thanked 1,246 Times in 935 Posts
Liked 5,950 Times in 1,939 Posts
Re: Have I done the right thing?

The E-M1 is a great camera and the 12-40 is one of the finest u43 lenses - so I'd say that you've got a fantastic combo. Definitely the right thing. YOLO!
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 21st October 2017

Liked 1,644 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinF View Post
Having used Olympus since 1984, and still having OM1/1n/2/2n/2SP/4Ti collecting dust but too nice to sell, and then moving to an E300 and an E3, a couple of years ago I bought an E-PL5 and haven't looked back - light easy to carry and even works with 4/3 and OM lenses, so the E-3 was sidelined. Temptation was growing to go OM-D - then, being forced into Birmingham city centre for the first time for ages, there in Jessops were their last two, ex-display E-M1 Mark 1s, one body only, one with a 12-40. A week of indecision, then the one with the 12-40 was mine.

First reaction is I love how it feels; I actually prefer the button layout to the Mk11. Struggling with setting it up to my preferred formats, but that will come quickly (I hope), but the first results (after i found super fine - why do Olympus always hide it?) look as good as I hoped.

OK, it's not a Mk11, but at way under half the price of a Mk11 for a new camera and lens, it seems good value and a sensible buy.

Now, what do I need to sell to pay for it all - maybe the E-3 and an OM 600mm lens might help? Watch this space.
Oooo, try the 600 with an adaptor on the E-M1 first and post the results!

Some Olympus stuff
I didn't get where I am today...
The Following User Liked This Post:
Ross the fiddler (22nd October 2017)
Old 23rd October 2017

Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts

I did try the 600 with the E-3 and it wasn't too good, but maybe the stabilisation on the E-M1 would help - I'll give it a go!
Old 30th November 2017

Liked 207 Times in 136 Posts

You've almost certainly done a good thing. From a 'look and feel' point of view, the Mk1 and Mk2 are extremely similar. The Mk2 is a 'tour de force' of latest technology but whether any of that is relevant to you depends on your style of photography. If you need high-speed tracking AF (e.g. birds in flight), then the Mk2 is significantly better. If not, you have all the capability you need for a lot less money
Old 30th November 2017

Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts

There's a good comparison of the Mk I and the Mk II here: https://mirrorlesscomparison.com/oly...vs-omd-em1-ii/

They suggest that while the Mk II certainly has some good points, for many photographers the Mk I is perfectly adequate still... and much cheaper!

I was tempted by some good Black Friday offers on the Mk II, but in the end decided to stay with my Mk I until prices fall significantly. (Perhaps the advent of the cheaper Lumix G9 in January while drive prices of the Mk II down further??)

Chris

Black OM-D E-M1 MkII, Silver PEN-F, Black Lumix GX7, and too many lenses!