Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 17th November 2007
emirpprime

Re: Portrait: Look Into My Eyes...

No problem Barr1e. Its my pleasure. Sorry I couldn't actually explain why it was acting like that, it has me stumped and as far as i know it shouldn't be doing it! But anyway.

One last tip for now, to provide a nicer (free of errant white) cut out edge:

When you do the magic wand stage, after clicking on the white space...
Go to the top of the screen and click on Select, then down the list there is Modify, click on that, then click on Grow. Input a value of perhaps 6 pixels.
Then go back to your image, still with the magic wand, right click on the white area and select feather, and put in a value of about 4 {make sure the value is less than the previous one}. The bigger the value, the softer the edge, the lower the crisper.
Then hit delete as before.

You may have to change the values depending on the resolution of the photo and size of area selected, probably by making them both larger.

By doing this you both remove any white halo on the cut out (as visible on the trousers for example) and give a slight blur to the cut out that makes it blend with the rest of the image better and gives less of a stuck on top look.

All the best,
Phil
Old 17th November 2007
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Excellent stuff guys, and very informative... but I keep getting emails from the site here informing me a reply has been made to my 'Portrait thread' and then when I visit, I am disappointed to see no comments relating to my portrait...

Lovely tiger though

Old 17th November 2007
emirpprime

Sorry John, we got a bit carried away. On the plus side I think it says good things about your portrait. There isn't a lot to say other than Nice one

Its a good high key shot, just a hint of chin on the left to give shape, nice sharp eyes. There is something a little fake looking about the eyes and eyebrows, but that might be JPEG artefacts, it just looks a little unnatural. Possibly over sharpening. Did you but a blur layer on and paint back the eyes? But this is being picky! The only other thing I would be tempted to do is clone out the horizontal detail off the models clothes right at the bottom of the frame. Again, not an issue at all, but a possible change.

But its a great photo.

All the best,
Phil
Old 18th November 2007

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts

Hi Barry,

The easy way in Elements 5 (and photoshop)

The easy way,

1- go to layer>New adjustment layer > hue/saturation> Ok it > Move the middle slider all the way to the left> OK it.

2-Click on the paint brush tool and make sure the foreground square is black and paint back the colours in the flowers. If you make a mistake change the colour to white and reverse it.

3- Layer > flatten image and your done

Old 18th November 2007

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts

John, a very striking portrait, especially the eyes, but in my opinion the high key effect on the L/H side is to light and looks blown out to my eye.

May I suggest if you are using the Hi-Spot metering mode ( I notice you were using spot metering) to meter the brightest part of the face to diail in -0.3 to -0.7 exposure compensation as this will then still hold a little detail in the brightest part of the face..just a suggestion.

Last edited by OlyPaul; 18th November 2007 at 08:34 AM.
Old 18th November 2007

Thanks for the tips Paul... will certainly try that out at my next shoot. Cheers.

Old 18th November 2007
beardedwombat

Barr1e, sorry I didn't get back to you yesterday, was out till late. I also don't know why the method I suggested doesn't seem to work with Elements. The only way I can replicate your problem in photoshop is to lock the pixels on the duplicate layer (click the grey box next to the word Lock on the layers tab) but this then shows the little padlock on the duplicate layer which is not the case in your screenshot. Bit of a mystery! Paul S's method should sort the problem for you. Assuming Elements is the same as PS, when you create the new hue/saturation layer, (after moving the saturation slider to the left) if you use the edit drop-down menu at the top of the h/sat dialogue box and select the colours appropriate to your image you can still alter the b/w toning before clicking ok. Have fun playing!!

Apologies to John for hijacking his thread!

Cheers
Chris
Old 18th November 2007

Hehe... no probs matey - I was only having a laff!! It's all good reading...

Old 18th November 2007

Liked 741 Times in 260 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post
Hehe... no probs matey - I was only having a laff!! It's all good reading...
My apologies too John. I was so overawed with your pic and only interested in my own thoughts that I forgot to say I liked it very much. Lots of practice for me now on that theme.

(Thanks to eveyone for the input.)

Regards. Barr1e
Old 18th November 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_S View Post
Hi Barry,

The easy way in Elements 5 (and photoshop)

The easy way,

1- go to layer>New adjustment layer > hue/saturation> Ok it > Move the middle slider all the way to the left> OK it.

2-Click on the paint brush tool and make sure the foreground square is black and paint back the colours in the flowers. If you make a mistake change the colour to white and reverse it.

3- Layer > flatten image and your done

Thanks Paul S, I'll put that to good use later on.

Kind regards. Barr1e
Old 18th November 2007

[QUOTE=emirpprime;365]No problem Barr1e. Its my pleasure. Sorry I couldn't actually explain why it was acting like that, it has me stumped and as far as i know it shouldn't be doing it! But anyway.

Well the mystery deepens Phil, but with good news. When retrying your original instructions this morning the program worked as you outlined.

The computer has bags of memory in all departments and is a very fast machine. It would seem though as if it had been overworked yesterday and the upfront memory, perhaps was rather cluttered up and when re-started this morning cleared the memory, so as to speak.

Regards. Barr1e