Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 12th February 2009
DannyH

Antique stills

These are my attempt to do try an antique look to common objects. I used an old flat cooking pan for the background. It had many ancient grease stains and worked great for what I wanted. The knife I picked up for $4 and the spoons for $2 at a second hand store. Now I rather enjoy myself when my wife wants to go into these places because I'm looking at all the items as possible still life objects. Even though the knife was new, I liked the play of the light across the metal.

Old 12th February 2009

Liked 50 Times in 27 Posts
Cool Re: Antique stills

Interesting results!
Old 13th February 2009

Liked 1,285 Times in 496 Posts
Re: Antique stills

The modern knife is nicely "posed".. All those satisfying 45 degrees

Its an interesting juxtaposition (there's a word I don't use much)

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 13th February 2009
Administrator

Liked 1,569 Times in 901 Posts

I think the antique look requires the antique items, therefore the second item works very well. (the knife looks too new)

The spoons image would look a lot better without the reflections. These types of shots are often done better inside a light tent or with a shade to stop reflections. For the antique look I feel you may want to go for a toned monochrome image or look at the earliest colour pictures that had very subtle colours.

I really like the idea and it has given me food for thought for my own images. recreating images with styles of old is a great way to develop technique as the lighting used in days of old was often very simple and easy to determine.

I hope you develope this technique and show us some more, they are very interesting.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 13th February 2009
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

To emphasise the antique effect, how about a vignette?

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 13th February 2009
DannyH

Thanks for the replies and idea's. I tried moving the spoons all over the room to get away from window light. Graham, I'll give it a try with a little square light box I just picked up. Stephen, I have not played around with vignette settings in photoshop, I'll have to look in the controls to find it and see what it does.
Old 14th February 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

I think the knife works much better! The contrast between the pan and the shiny new knife makes it very three-dimensional. To my eyes, the spoons are rather dull, as they almost blend in with the background.
Maybe it would be interesting to try a pic with some interesting sparkling-new machined aluminium parts or something like that?? I believe that those would really pop out of the background...

Best Regards

Frank
Old 14th February 2009
DannyH

Interesting idea Frank, Iíll have to experiment with that. I'm thinking of trying the spoons with a less textured background to see what it looks like. What I'm trying to find is an all-metal set of scissors. I've looked all over and everything has plastic handles.
Old 15th February 2009
Administrator

Thanked 3,140 Times in 2,449 Posts
Liked 4,441 Times in 2,107 Posts

I actually like them both; they appeal in different ways. The spoons are certainly more authentic against the tarnished background (although I agree with Graham's comment about the reflections) but the shiny new knife creates a tension by virtue of being so incongruous against the ancient, well scratched stains. The only thing I'd try to change about the knife would be to remove the dark patch of shadow near the back of the main blade.

Two very good efforts indeed!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there ó even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau