Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Wide angle

Wide angle Lenses with focal lengths shorter than 14mm.

Old 5th June 2014

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Pany 7-14 on OM-D

it's interesting to hear the experiences of using the 7-14 with the OMD both with and without the filter. I have to admit that in the first 18 months of using this combination, I was reasonably happy but after one holiday, I increasingly noticed the lack of contrast and fairly subtle but clearly visible purple or blueish flare in many shots when the sun was anywhere near the frame, quite apart from the known and more obvious issues indoors with a strong light source in the frame (sometimes repositioning the shot could get rid of it but very often this was simply not an option). I vaguely considered trying to get hold of the filter set but was a bit sceptical a) of my ability to fit it and b) whether it wouldn't somewhat degrade the image. I remain somewhat unsure having read the contributions here. Have to say that I seemed to get better results with the GH2 than the OMD (less fringing as well).

It's curious that these issues, as well as a mild dissatisfaction with the consistency of performance with the 75-300 without seeing a viable, affordable alternative led a chance experiment with a Fuji X-E1 to building that out as a primary system and selling off some of my m43 stuff including the lenses at the more extreme ends. Why didn't I just get the 9-18? Dunno! I can still see a Pen L or M with 9-18 and 40-150 as being a useful ultralight travel combo but I'd like to see if the next generation improve the IBIS. If not, then I guess that the E-M10 will be pretty cheap in a year or so.. Too many choices these days

David

Old 6th June 2014

Liked 1,247 Times in 711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dko22 View Post
... Why didn't I just get the 9-18? Dunno! I can still see a Pen L or M with 9-18 and 40-150 as being a useful ultralight travel combo but I'd like to see if the next generation improve the IBIS...
I took that combination of zooms on a 3 week holiday to India 3 or 4 years ago, with an E-PL2. Very light and compact, but I found I really missed being able to isolate the subject to any degree with the wider lens, plus indoor natural light shots were a challenge.

The next trip was to Japan, and I took the PanLeica 50mm f1.4 along as well: this time I found I used this lens for about 60% of my shots and the 9-18 hardly at all - I got some lovely images in temples, but another issue emerged that I found I'd got the wrong lens on more often when a fleeting photo opportunity offered itself!

So, since buying the Panny 12-35 f2.8 I've found that this, matched with the 40-150, gives the best balance of size, aperture and focal length for travel (with the M1 now, which further improves low-light performance and IBIS, of course).

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
Old 14th June 2014

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

With the filter in place, the 7-14 is a totally different beast. I can now point the lens into sun with no purple nonsense to be seen. I've only experimented so far and need to examine more closely for IQ (other contributors here and elsewhere have suggested a trade off with diminished IQ as a result).
In the end I added a spacer underneath the filter holder (Panasonic call it a shading frame) and it sits well, with no stress when the screws are torqued-up. Without shimming the shading frame is in tension, so not acceptable to me.
Cutting the filters is a different matter, the gel filters are so easy to damage, so great care is required. I produced a double sided template 21.5mm square with 3mm corner chamfers, as per the guide, and used adapted tweezers with felt grips to handle and insert the filter. So far I'm glad I kept the lens, I was so close to putting it up on ebay.

on flickr
Old 15th June 2014

This is fascinating - a real labour of love!

Too much Oly gear.
Old 15th June 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
This is fascinating - a real labour of love!
Do I detect a bit of sarcasm
I can assure you it's not a labour of love, just a choice of modifying or selling!
Anyway, enough said, perhaps more than enough. But for anyone contemplating the mod, go for it, its not as bad to implement as it may sound. Just one final thought, make sure you have the correct screwdriver, a P003 bit is required.

on flickr
Old 15th June 2014

No, not at all - actually I'm very impressed you're motivated to sort this out while the rest of us are muddling on with a compromised product!

I must say I'm hanging on for release of a good Oly superwide, prime or zoom.
I get decent results with my 7-14, but that's probably because I know the limitations and I just tend not to use it in situations where fringing and purple meanies are likely.

Too much Oly gear.
Old 15th September 2014

Liked 55 Times in 30 Posts

Any examples of pics with it since the filter was added Steve?

And a pic of the modded lens?
Old 15th September 2014

Yes indeed Murray, I'll look at some suitable JPEGs out of the camera as I'm uncertain how well my pp'ing is without a calibrated monitor. More likely tomorrow when I have more time.
Cheers.

on flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to Ricoh For This Useful Post:
MurrayMcMillan (16th September 2014)