Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds

Micro Four Thirds Discuss the newly announced Micro Four Thirds addition to the Four Thirds system family here.

Old 25th July 2013

Liked 419 Times in 201 Posts
4/3 vs M 4/3

Now I have a question which I can't seem to get an answer myself....been using my
E600 for 3 years now and of course I am happy with it overall,....but things move on, and judging by comments and opinions here M4/3rds is a good progression, so do I wait for the next 4/3 camera from Olympus, (E7 ?) then being able to fully use the lenses I have acquired or do I go for the M4/3 way....maybe the new EP5.?? OMD5?

I'm sure many will have differing opinions...

Cheers

Peter
Old 25th July 2013
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts
Re: 4/3 vs M 4/3

Hang fire a week or two. There may well be an announcement. But in my opinion, there will be no more 4/3 cameras. There will, however, be m4/3 cameras which can better use existing 4/3 lenses.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 25th July 2013

Liked 39 Times in 32 Posts

Hi peter,not sure if Olympus is ever going to release any more 4/3rds bodies, but the rumour is that the next m4/3rds will be able to use and focus 4/3rds lenses eqaully as well as the E5, with the added benefit of the great selection of m4/3rds lenses. Thats if you are prepared to wait until the end of september.

IF not why not get the EM5 of if you like the look of the pens EP5.

Dave
Old 25th July 2013
Administrator

Thanked 3,140 Times in 2,449 Posts
Liked 4,440 Times in 2,106 Posts

The biggest practical difference between the two systems is size and weight. If you are happy with your DSLR and lenses in this respect then it would make sense to see if Olympus really do come up with the fabled E7 this autumn - that should put 4/3 IQ on a level footing with MFT and there is a better choice of 4/3 zoom lenses. The new camera might even achieve the holy grail of being equally compatible with both lens ranges.

I'd guess that Ian's forthcoming trip to Japan has something to do with a big announcement expected in the next few months and having got so close I'd be inclined to wait.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 25th July 2013

Thanked 1,479 Times in 1,407 Posts
Liked 1,392 Times in 889 Posts

If I had any 4/3rds gear I would be waiting right now. Its a long time to wait if you have the urge to buy now but I would wait until Feb/March of next year by which time any rumoured August announcements may have turned into products in stores and there may be additional announcements (or the predicted August one) on yet more bodies in the OM-D range. The E-M5 is mostly holding its price right now but I'm going to stick my neck out and suggest a small price drop early next year. If you prefer the rangefinder format of the EP5 then I'm not sure there may be much on the horizon for the next 6 months.

My prediction is that Olympus will announce when they are ready to. Continue to enjoy you E600 and start saving.
Old 25th July 2013
Administrator

Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,232 Posts
Liked 1,652 Times in 739 Posts

Compared to an E-620, something like an E-M5 or even an E-P3 from a couple of years back is that the sensors have less anti-aliasing (deliberate blurring at the sensor) so images are have more bite. I noticed this the other day when using Julia's E-620.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 25th July 2013

Liked 338 Times in 228 Posts

It is not just new 43 bodies that I think we have seen the last of. New lenses too I reckon.

Not sure how Oly will implement good focusing performance of 43 lenses on this new hybrid body due to the difference in mounts. I would like to see this facility built into an adapter like the MMF3 so that all micro 43 users can benefit from the faster focusing of the superior 43 zoom lenses.

I'd buy that!

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge