Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Wide angle

Wide angle Lenses with focal lengths shorter than 14mm.

Old 12th July 2012

Liked 21 Times in 5 Posts
Re: m4/3rds vs 4/3rds 7-14mm zooms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footloose1949 View Post
Catherine, those are some superb images! I'm guessing that getting them to pose as you wanted, was a bit of a challenge! ... Maybe you used wine-gums?
Actually, they were all easy to work with, all are used to working for treats. (No such thing as a free pose...)

This one isn't with the 7-14, though, but just to show you those two lovely dogs (sadly not mine )

My photoblog: http://csspikkerud.zenfolio.com/blog
My gallery: http://csspikkerud.zenfolio.com/

My book on Viovio
Old 18th September 2012

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts

I have read reviews on the Panasonic 7-14mm and I don't find it convincing enough to consider selling my Olympus 7-14 to fund one. I have often used the Olympus on the E-M5 and although the AF is a bit slow, this isn't a fag for the subject matter I use this lens for. With the battery grip fitted I don't find the Olympus 7-14mm OTT at all and the undoubted IQ, possibly unequalled, is worth any additional weight carried.

David
Old 18th September 2012
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Morison View Post
I have read reviews on the Panasonic 7-14mm and I don't find it convincing enough to consider selling my Olympus 7-14 to fund one. I have often used the Olympus on the E-M5 and although the AF is a bit slow, this isn't a fag for the subject matter I use this lens for. With the battery grip fitted I don't find the Olympus 7-14mm OTT at all and the undoubted IQ, possibly unequalled, is worth any additional weight carried.

David
If you're happy enough with the extra weight, I would concur.

I was happy with my Panny 7-14 (which I sold because it wasn't getting enough use), but if I had to compare it with my Oly 7-14 (using hindsight, as I no longer own that lens either), I would have to say that the Oly, as with most Olympus glass, has that certain "something" that, in the main, Panasonics just don't have. I'm not talking pure sharpness, just a sort of extra clarity. Difficult to explain, but I think that's where Olympus beats Panasonic.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Tags
7-14mm, comparison, test