Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 6th April 2012

Liked 338 Times in 228 Posts
Re: Dragon Bones - Please Critique.

Told you it was too bright.............. For me photography is not necessarily about portraying reality but achieving a strong image. If that means a fair bit of editng then so be it. I still stand by my comments re mono but I wouldn't repost an image despite what others say unless I was asked to. It is still a very nice image.

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 6th April 2012

Liked 50 Times in 27 Posts

The original was very interesting, yes but for me it lacked charisma and John added it......I hate to criticize others and I don't usually but I just had to have my say!
Old 6th April 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I really like the simpicility of the shot. For me I would have burned in the clouds in the top left hand corner a little more to darken the sky up and make it a bit more foreboding.

People may not remember exactly what you did, or what you said, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
Old 6th April 2012

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts
Re: Dragon Bones - Please do not Critique.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlinehan View Post
Err, its not now a reflection of what I saw.
You are implying that here we have telepathic access to your memories and should be critiquing it skewed by knowing what you saw at the time.
Wrong place, put it in foto fair, that's where my snaps go.

Quote:
... I appreciate the effort you've gone to but please, please don't alter and re-post my image....
OK, definitely wrong place and wrong attitude.
You know (we all know) how much faff it is to download, reprocess and upload an image and then to get slapped in the face for genuinely helpful work is ridiculous ... in the "looking for perfection" forum.

(On-topic : Am I wrong or did there used to be a clear note shown on the user name bar about allowing/preventing edits of user's photos?)
Old 6th April 2012

Liked 112 Times in 67 Posts

Its a lovely image and I would agree with the great comments already provided above. A little more contrast certainly adds to the total impact of the scene but I think you were trying to make the groyne the main subject

To have achieved this I think either a longer exposure or a lower angle of view would perhaps have been better?

Just my tuppence worth

Greg
Old 6th April 2012

Liked 71 Times in 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlinehan View Post
The artist's (my) vision is in the original image. I appreciate the effort you've gone to but please, please don't alter and re-post my image.

Thanks for your comments though, they are much appreciated.
It's always a difficult aspect in how to respond to request for a critique, and it can be very useful to have people show alternative techniques or to help explain their ideas for improvements visually. The original idea, the artistry and the image is of course always with the originator of that image, but by way of explaining a critique, a visual example is an excellent way of showing the impact of those suggestions.
And I'm quite guilty on this charge too, but would defend the use on this Forum where we are asking for advice and comments. What I try to do is make sure that all references to the originator are kept in the title or the gallery upload, and at the end of the day there should never be any doubt that the originator is the true arbitor of their own work.
Hopefully the re-edit does show quickly and clearly what critique is being made, to then be accepted or rejected by not only the originator but also the other viewers of 'Looking for Perfection' - that way, we can all learn about some of the alternatives for our own work. So I was pleased to read your last paragraph, as I felt the re-edit was made in good faith for the purpose clearly requested in the title of your thread and the ideals of this section of the Forum.

Anyhow, to my critique:
My initial reaction was that I found something unsettling about the horizon and this almost totally distracted my attention trying to work out what is was - is there a bit of distant land on the centre left of the horizon? There is a bit of thick 'dark' line and I think it is this that makes the horizon look as though it has a bit of curvature. If so, I would look to lighten the image in this boundary area to reduce the impact or to alter the curvature to counteract the effect.
I did quite like the altering of the re-edit to the sea but not of the sky area which I would want to retain fairly light and less contrasty.
I would also explore the alternative between the re-edit of the sea or the opposite of lightening the light areas of the sea even more so that the focus then is very much on the 'dragon's teeth' and the shadowy bits of the waves.
All in all though a lovely image with lots of potential.
Regards
Chris
Old 7th April 2012

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts

I'm not sure what you want, as it is pretty obvious from your replies to every suggestion that you are perfectly happy with the image how it is.

And that's fine by me, but snapshots and images I am perfectly happy with I put into Foto Fair not "Looking for Perfection" at the moment we do not have a section called perfect images, perhaps we should.

But I digress, do I have a view on the image, yes I do and just a minor modification, but I am not going to say what it is, as it will probably not fit in with the artist's vision which is also fine by me. So I will just say that it is a very pleasant image.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/
Old 7th April 2012

Liked 931 Times in 358 Posts

No crit but a question, where is it?
Old 7th April 2012

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

answer on page 1 near the bottom
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 7th April 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I actually prefer the original image honestly... the reposted edit does more than add contrast, but changes the entire mood and story behind the image for me. With the OP's title "Dragon Bones", I pictured a look into history, (a dragon's final resting place, and it's passing and remains over a period of time if we want to get really imaginative here), and the slow shutter speed added to the effect of passing time, and it's effect on the dragon's bones. The misty morning look added to it. The repost looses the slow shutter speed's effect imo and it looks like a single moment captured, and the dragon's death site on a grim day. My critique will be considered ludicrous, lol... S/N: I'm not a fan of square images, but it works here I guess.
Old 7th April 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
answer on page 1 near the bottom
Eh?? Couldn't find it Chevvy. Just tell me where is was please
Old 7th April 2012

Liked 63 Times in 31 Posts

No I couldn't find it either so I went to the linked flickr page and it is tagged with Whitstable, so I assume that is where it is.
Old 7th April 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley View Post
No I couldn't find it either so I went to the linked flickr page and it is tagged with Whitstable, so I assume that is where it is.
Thanks Shirley. I cannot find the flickr link either
Old 7th April 2012

Liked 63 Times in 31 Posts

There is a link on his profile page.
Old 7th April 2012

Thanks Shirley.