Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus Pen E-P3

Olympus Pen E-P3 The third-generation Micro Four Thirds flagship Pen model from Olympus, complete with capacitive touch screen!

Old 16th August 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lightroom and E-P3

Having been won over to the E-P3 (with VF2) by Ian's London viewing last month, my wallet is now hurting and while waiting for it to be delivered, I suddenly realised that Lightroom does not yet support the RAW files.
Is Viewer > TIFF > Lightroom the best interim option? Is it even worth it or are the OOC JPG's good enough?
Please understand that these are idle thoughts while I wait for the door bell to ring
Doug
Old 16th August 2011
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts
Re: Lightroom and E-P3

In my opinion, and not having used the E-P3, Viewer 2 is certainly a more than capable raw converter for other ORFs.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 16th August 2011
Kiwi Paul

I have the same issue with my G3 and use Silky Pics to convert to tiff then edit in LR3 as a interim step until LR supports the camera.

Paul
Old 16th August 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I've moved to using JPEGS for my EP3 until the raw processing is available. The increase in disk space is horrendous using tiffs for all the files I want to tweak.

You can set the JPEG compression to super fine which gives very good results even after edits and a re-compress/save.
Old 16th August 2011
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

Best thing to do, if you're using OOC jpegs, is to set the originals to read-only as you download them. That forces you to "save as" and avoids the risk of losing data as you do multiple saves.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 16th August 2011

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vchaney View Post
I've moved to using JPEGS for my EP3 until the raw processing is available. The increase in disk space is horrendous using tiffs for all the files I want to tweak.

You can set the JPEG compression to super fine which gives very good results even after edits and a re-compress/save.
You could use the Zip Tiff file format and convert them to that to save space as Photoshop and most other modern programs recognises them.

As you can see the same raw file converted to standard Tiff and Zip Tiff the saving in file space can be nearly half 18Mb compared to 36Mb .

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/
Old 16th August 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks all,
I'm so used to using RAW only that I tend to forget Olympus JPG's are pretty good anyway and that Lightroom also happily handles JPG's - so looks like RAW + JPG for a bit and convert RAW to TIFF with Viewer 2 when needed until LR handles the ORF files - and I find/develop suitable profiles.

Doug
Old 16th August 2011
Administrator

Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,232 Posts
Liked 1,651 Times in 739 Posts

TIFF is usually losslessly compressed (if compressed at all) and so is the next best thing to a RAW but there are fundamental differences. In RAW the colour for each pixel is still completely configurable from the RAW colour channels of the sensor (more accurately, the Bayer colour array). You might say that the colour hasn't been permanently mixed (think of base colour paints and mixing them). With TIFF and JPEG the pixel colours are already defined - like a colour-blended paint. Adjusting the colour of each pixel is now more restricted. With RAW, it's like being able to remove and add paint colours from the mix - in reality you can only add. JPEG adds the fact that colour information is removed from the file. An original JPEG can be practically visually identical to an original JPEG, but once you save an edited JPEG, even more data is filtered out and the image starts to degrade. This won't happen with TIFF.

In the end, copying an Olympus JPEG to Lightroom is probably fine, but I would personally use a TIFF.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com