Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-500

Olympus E-500 E-500 specific discussion.

Old 15th February 2008
SonorG

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Wired Remote for E500

Hi,

Just a quick question. Is there a wired remote available for the E500? I have one for my E510 but it doesn't work on the E500.

We have the infra red remote but its a pain when using AEB for shots.

Cheers
Gar
Old 19th February 2008
OlyFlyer

Re: Wired Remote for E500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrie View Post
Hi,

Just a quick question. Is there a wired remote available for the E500? I have one for my E510 but it doesn't work on the E500.

We have the infra red remote but its a pain when using AEB for shots.

Cheers
Gar
Sorry, not for the E-500, unless you open it up and make one. I never really understood the way the designers were thinking. They have probably saved a few cents, that's all. I am glad they realized this stupid design mistake and implemented in the E-510, even if there they implemented in a crazy way, using the USB/video combo for the remote as well.
Old 26th February 2008
SonorG

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

bummer, oh well. It is odd that the designers didn't have the functionality for a wired remote for the E500.

I wonder if there is anyway to "redirect" the infra red sensor input to the rear of the camera.

Cheers
Garrie
Old 26th February 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Maybe fibre optics would work? Actually, I'm sure I remember someone posting a homemade IR remote for E500 on DP Review a while back - I think the poster had made a holder for a cheap IR remote and glued in a fibre optic lead from Radio Spares or Maplin or similar. I don't recall how he'd managed the camera end, however.

Might be worth a look if the search function is working for once.
Old 26th February 2008
SonorG

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

Cracking Hugh, Thanks for that.

I'll certainly start some research.

Cheers
G
Old 26th February 2008
Xpres

Maybe a mirror of some sort - My son is playing with an action man periscope..........
I may just try it.
Old 29th February 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not sure if you've been able to track it down Garrie, but thinking about it further, I think he'd made a bracket out bent metal strip to hold the end of the fibre optic against the IR sensor. It wasn't pretty, but he claimed it worked!

I did look around for fibre optic cables and they were fairly readily available. I didn't pursue it myself because I got an E510 and a wired remote (not Oly's own ridiculously expensive version, I hasten to add!)

Good luck with it!
Old 5th March 2008
Evo

A highly unsatisfactory solution but sometimes I use my laptop, Olly Studio and a USB cable to act as a remote release cable. Talk about sledgehammer to crack a nut!
Old 5th March 2008
OlyFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrie View Post
Cracking Hugh, Thanks for that.

I'll certainly start some research.

Cheers
G
When I bought my E-500, I missed that it did not had wire release connector. I just assumed it had when I ordered the camera. I got so angry when I learned about the RM-1, RM-2 being the only way, and that it was not even included in the box, while it was for some pocket cameras that I decided never to pay a cent for the RM-1. After a lot of work I cracked the IR communication protocol and made my own RM-1 compatible IR remote. If you are ready to build your own here is a link on the "how to".

http://olyflyer.blogspot.com/2007/07...ompatible.html

For the money and time I invested in this remote I could probably buy a bag full of RM-1s, but it was a principle decision. The fact that it was a mental challange played an important part in the decision as well. It is really simple if you know how to program microcontrollers and once you look at my details. Later I built several models, one very small one was attached to the right side of the flash using welcro and a wire with a button for triggering it. I also tested fibre, and it works as well. I used the thickest optical fibre I could find. You could also attach a piece of aluminum foil to the side of the flash to reflect the IR rays. My biggest problem with the IR was the long delay between pressing and the shutter release.

Very bad decision from Oly to leave out the contacts. As a matter of fact, I am still angry with Oly for the special contact on the E-3. Why they did not use the 2.5 mm round stereo plug type is a mystery. I guss just to be able to make some money on their own stupidly simple remote wire.
Old 5th March 2008
Administrator

Liked 1,569 Times in 901 Posts

Hi,
I've just bought an old fashioned air release and I'm in the process of engineering a rig to get it to press the button from the warmth of indoors while camera sits in a weather proof box out side...

One reason I still use the C8080 is I can control virtually EVERYTHING through the USB
Old 5th March 2008
Administrator

Thanked 2,445 Times in 1,233 Posts
Liked 1,653 Times in 740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
Hi,
I've just bought an old fashioned air release and I'm in the process of engineering a rig to get it to press the button from the warmth of indoors while camera sits in a weather proof box out side...

One reason I still use the C8080 is I can control virtually EVERYTHING through the USB
I have a hunch that you can get a remote release facility by fitting a third party battery grip/portrait release - but I don't have any more certainty than that at the moment.

I have also wondered if the RM-1 infra red wireless controller can be programmed into a more powerful universal remote control for longer operational distance. No good, of course, if the camera isn't facing you of course.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 5th March 2008
Administrator

Thanked 2,445 Times in 1,233 Posts
Liked 1,653 Times in 740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
I have a hunch that you can get a remote release facility by fitting a third party battery grip/portrait release - but I don't have any more certainty than that at the moment.

I have also wondered if the RM-1 infra red wireless controller can be programmed into a more powerful universal remote control for longer operational distance. No good, of course, if the camera isn't facing you of course.

Ian
Here you go:

http://www.ownuser.com.tw/e_E500_1.htm

They list a remote release accessory for their E-500 grip.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 5th March 2008
OlyFlyer

Quote:
I have also wondered if the RM-1 infra red wireless controller can be programmed into a more powerful universal remote control for longer operational distance.
The only way is if you build one after me, or if you program a universal remote as you say. Problem is that most of those are actually weaker than the RM-1.

Quote:
No good, of course, if the camera isn't facing you of course.
Yes, that's why a piece of aluminum foil (or a dentist's mirror) is needed.