Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-520

Olympus E-520 E-520 specific discussion.

Old 30th January 2010

Liked 134 Times in 50 Posts
Question Carl Zeiss Jena lenses

Hello guys,

Apologies if this is a dumb question, but I HAVE to ask!

My friend has just discovered an old (but pristine) Zenit EM camera in the loft, along with a selection of Carl Zeiss Jena lenses. They have been stored in clean, dry conditions and appear to be in superb condition, although I haven't actually seen them myself as yet.

Is there any sort of adaptor that would allow me to use them on my Olympus e520? Also, do you think the flash would be of any use to me? I don't want him selling them at a car boot sale if I can use them!

Not a very good picture, but here's the photo he sent.

Thanks for looking.

Janet

Last edited by Janet; 30th January 2010 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Add picture!
Old 30th January 2010

Liked 1,285 Times in 496 Posts
Re: Carl Zeiss Jena lenses

Yes, you can buy a suitable adapter on ebay: As far as I recall the Zenit was M42 screw thread, so a M42/fourthirds adapter is item you need.

There is one niggle: Most M42 lenses have a pin on the back and many need this pressed in to use the aperture manually. Best to check the adapter will press this pin in (mine doesn't)

Jena lenses are generally well regarded in the manual lens world

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 30th January 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Janet
I believe they are a M42 screw thread so a visit to fleebay will get you a M42 to 4/3rds adaptor for about 10 upwards from Hong Kong

Mick

Petroleums Hey
retired oil boiler
Old 30th January 2010

Thanks for the incredibly fast responses!

It's going to be another couple of weeks before I can get over and have a look at them, but I'm hoping he'll send me some better pictures soon so I can find out exactly what they are.

Meanwhile, I'll check out the adaptors on e-Bay. Thanks again! Hopefully this will mean I have a few more lenses to play with!

Janet
Old 30th January 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am wating on one of these from China.

Only 3.80 posted..

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/abestsolution...&_trksid=p4340

Not expecting fantastic quality and have no idea if the pin is going to be pushed in on my sigma lens. If not for 3.80 a drop of silver solder in any hole on the adaptor will soon cure that.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinfairgrieve/
Old 30th January 2010

Liked 167 Times in 111 Posts

Janet, a bit of a warning about the flash though.
Firstly, it will only work in a fully manual mode, i.e. the old fashioned way. More importantly, the trigger voltage may damage your camera's internal circuitry.
The trigger voltage is measured across the hot shoe contacts on the flash when it fires. Many modern cameras are only designed to work with trigger voltages of 6 volts or so. I've yet to see a definitive answer from anyone official as to what Oly cameras will stand; bear in mind it may be different with each model.
Don't assume it will be low, just because there's only 6Vs worth of batteries in there. The tube in the flash needs a much higher voltage to fire it; there's some electronic wizardry in the flash which steps the voltage up much higher, hence a higher voltage may be presented to the flash's hot shoe contacts. (sometimes up to 240V, with the very old units, though I doubt they would be sold these days.)
All's not lost, as whilst you are looking on ebay you can get little isolators which protect the camera from the higher voltages.

There's nothing to stop you using Bulb exposure mode, and using any old flash to paint the scene with light.

The nearest I have to a home page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
They're Watching You!
Old 30th January 2010

Thanks for that warning Bill. I'm not very technically minded, so I think I'll give the flash a miss, or do a lot more research first!

I can't wait to see the lenses though, or at least the pics of them so I can see what there is. I've found loads of adaptors on e-Bay (many thanks to the guys who helped there!)

I've done a bit of Googling, and it seems that these may be rather nice lenses, so I'm getting as much information about them as I can. I think I may have to sell a couple of my fishing rods/reels to pay for them!

Janet
Old 30th January 2010

Liked 1,285 Times in 496 Posts

Yes there is a lot of fun to be had with old glass - just have a lurk here

http://forum.manualfocus.org/index.php

to meet some real enthusiasts

I will admit each time I see an image taken with (for example) "a 1893 Cooke triplet on a Canon 5D" (or whatever) I find myself thinking - blimey, its in colour !

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 30th January 2010
Xpres

I'm one of those 'real enthusiasts'! If you need any advice on what they are or their value I'd be happy to help - or even register at the forum Pete suggested and ask there where you may find buyers too.
Trigger voltage is OK up to 250v but you need to measure yours to make sure its lower. I wouldn't bother with that one though.
Old 30th January 2010

Many thanks for that Xpres.

A bit more information on the lenses...unfortunately my friend knows even less about photography than I do, so these descriptions may not be too good!

This is what he's given me after looking at the lenses - just what's written on the front.

Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 1-2 f=4.5cm 3209260

Prinzflex MC zoom 1-3.5 f70-162 800551

Zodel 1-3.5 f=135m 670092

I presume the long numbers are serial numbers?

I think I've managed to identify the Prinzflex on Google, but I'm stumped with the others!

Does that make any sense to anyone?

Thanks for your time! I may register at the forum suggested, just for more information.

Janet
Old 30th January 2010
Xpres

the Jena 45mm f2 looks interesting. Serial number puts it around 1950. quite fast for it's time. Should work nicely on your 520 with an adapter as a portrait lens.
Old 31st January 2010

Thanks for all your help guys, but I'm afraid I made a bit of a boob.

The Carl Zeiss lens should read Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 1-2 f=8.5cm 3209260

Sorry for any confusion!

Janet
Old 31st January 2010
Xpres

That makes much more sense and is quite rare. -Lucky you!
Old 5th February 2010

Just a quick update..

Following information I received on here and on another forum, I emailed Zeiss, who passed my questions onto the director of the Zeiss archives.

At first it was bad news, as he told me that the serial number related to a lens made in 1909...which obviously isn't right. I assumed then that my friend had a fake.

However, I then received a second e-mail saying that a mistake had been made and it was indeed manufactured in 1949, and with the history we have, it appears that there is no reason to doubt that it's genuine.

Not quite sure where we go from here, but I'll pass all the info on to my friend, and then it's up to him. I've tried Googling, but despite days of going square-eyed, I have only come up with one lens matching the description. I'm guessing he's going to have to have it properly valued before he decides what to do with it.

I'm still going to order an adaptor and have a play with it first!

Thanks again for all your help.

Janet
Old 13th April 2010

Question Carl Zeiss Jena lens

Hi guys!

Hope you don't mind me resurrecting an old thread?

Well, we still have the lens, and my research seems to show that it is a particularly good one. My friend is in no rush to sell, so it's mine to play with!

Due to one thing and another I never got round to ordering the adaptor - to be honest I was totally flummoxed with all the different ones available, and also very wary of buying cheap ones on E-Bay from Japan and China.

Anyway, I'm shortly going away for a month's holiday and would really like the chance to play around with it and see what it can do...

Is anyone here using one of these adaptors with M42 fit lenses, and if so, can you recommend a supplier? I'd prefer something reasonably cheap, but I don't mind paying a premium for something that I know will work with my Oly and not do any damage.

Thanks!

Janet

PS. Here's a link to the pictures I took, if it will help http://s159.photobucket.com/albums/t...Sonnar%20lens/