Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-510

Olympus E-510 E-510 specific discussion.

Old 11th December 2009

Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Using non-Olympus flashguns

Hi has anyone experience of using Minolta dedicated flahguns with Olympus E series cameras. I know one has to be careful of the contact voltage of the gun and also that the camera can only be used in manual mode. I understand that the Minolta flash I have, 2800AF, has only 1.74V across its contacts. It would be nice to recycle some of my old equipment! Thanks.
Old 11th December 2009

Liked 1,285 Times in 496 Posts
Re: Using non-Olympus flashguns

Hi there.

I regularly use a Nikon SB28 and a Vivitar 550 (4.99 ebay) on my E510 and E620. In both cases I checked the trigger voltages - they were about 6v.

For outdoor work I set the camera to Aperture priority, select f5.6 (for example) and set the flash to Auto (not TTL) and match the ISO and Aperture from the camera*. This works quite well but you need to keep an eye on the shutter speed the camera selects. Anything less than 1/180th and only part of the image is flashed, too slow and you get camera shake syndrome as usual.

For indoor work I set the camera to Manual, 1/60th and f5.6 and set the flash up as above. Again this works reasonably well, and you can play with the shutter speed if you wand more or less ambient light added to the flash.

Pete

*It may be that the flash dictates (say) f8 or f4 at Iso 200 - so in this case you chose one of them and set the camera to match the flash instead. As long as the aperture and ISO match...

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 11th December 2009

Hi Pete

Thanks for your quick reply. You have given me hope and I shall now seek out my Minolta flashguns (3) that I have put away safely somewhere (?). The Minolta 2800AF is a TTL gun only so I am not sure that I can do as you suggest but as log as I don't toast the camera circuits, I'd like to have a try. I also have a Jessups 300TTL gun but I'm not sure what the trigger voltage is. Having just yesterday accidently given my laptop a glass of chardonnay, with obvious results, I need to tread carefully!!
Old 11th December 2009

Liked 39 Times in 32 Posts

I use a Metz 45 ct4 flash gun with a remote wireless device and works very well, setting the camera to manual and set the flash to what iso I want moving the dial to the distance the object is from flash gun, and set app and shutter speed to what the flash tells me. I have used this flash upto 1/250th seconds with no problem except when using 20mm or wider then have to come down to 1/125th of a second otherwise I get shutter lag and only half the image is shown, I use it on my e510.

So give yours a try you will be quit impressed with the results.

Dave
Old 11th December 2009

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveart View Post
I use a Metz 45 ct4 flash gun with a remote wireless device and works very well,

Dave
Dave,

is that remote device a trigger which fires the Metz off-camera, from a hot-shoe mounted transmitter? I've a similar issue, with an old Metz + SCA adaptor from my OM setup which I just haven't started to pursue yet, and something like this sounds like a solution for me too - just need to get to grips with the terminology :-)

O
Old 11th December 2009

Hi Dave

Like Owen, the remote could interest me too. Look forward to hearing, or rather seeing, more.

Bob
Old 11th December 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwenMc View Post
Dave,

is that remote device a trigger which fires the Metz off-camera, from a hot-shoe mounted transmitter? I've a similar issue, with an old Metz + SCA adaptor from my OM setup which I just haven't started to pursue yet, and something like this sounds like a solution for me too - just need to get to grips with the terminology :-)

O
Hi Owen

Just found a Wireless Flash Trigger on Ebay for Olympus E-510 etc., for $35.64 with free postage from Hong Kong. Item number 260505499485. Don't know whether this would suit us.
Old 11th December 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobS View Post
Hi Owen

Just found a Wireless Flash Trigger on Ebay for Olympus E-510 etc., for $35.64 with free postage from Hong Kong. Item number 260505499485. Don't know whether this would suit us.
I've just recently got some PT-04 triggers and they work really well with E510 +FL50 - better than I had expected TBH. I'm not sure how they would fair with older flashes with very high trigger voltages though - you'd have to look into that if you were thinking of mixing low and high trigger voltage flashes.

Although there are plenty on Ebay I found several amazon shops selling them for less - this is the place I got mine from:
Amazon Amazon

You get two recievers + transmitter for a very similar price of just the one transmitter & receiver as above and better still they are from a UK source.
Old 11th December 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
I've just recently got some PT-04 triggers and they work really well with E510 +FL50 - better than I had expected TBH. I'm not sure how they would fair with older flashes with very high trigger voltages though - you'd have to look into that if you were thinking of mixing low and high trigger voltage flashes.

Although there are plenty on Ebay I found several amazon shops selling them for less - this is the place I got mine from: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Channel-Wire...8193720&sr=1-8

You get two recievers + transmitter for a very similar price of just the one transmitter & receiver as above and better still they are from a UK source.
Hi Paul
Been on to Amazon and it appears that, unless I'm mistaken, these triggers do not work with Minolta flashguns. Perhaps there is someone out there that has solved the E-510/Minolta problem. However, in the meantime, I may go with Pete's advice and look for a cheap gun that will suffice until I perhaps get an FLxx (2 weeks pension!!) or a cheaper Metz.
Old 11th December 2009
Xpres

I use the PT-04 triggers with various old flashes that I've accumulated such as Vivitar 283, 365 and my old T32s. I can't see why it won't work with a Minolta unless it has non standard contacts. The PT-04 is the older version of these triggers that works with most old stuff.
Old 11th December 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobS View Post
Hi Paul
Been on to Amazon and it appears that, unless I'm mistaken, these triggers do not work with Minolta flashguns. Perhaps there is someone out there that has solved the E-510/Minolta problem. However, in the meantime, I may go with Pete's advice and look for a cheap gun that will suffice until I perhaps get an FLxx (2 weeks pension!!) or a cheaper Metz.
Yep sorry, you are right in that the standard olympus set PT-04s seemingly won't work with Minolta, Sigma, Sony or Nissin flashes but I remember stumbling upon a modification that will at least get the minolta flashes going, I've spent a few minutes trying to refind the full how to - but so far have only found a breif mention of it here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/shatt0r/580986959/ when / if I find the full text I'll post it up...
Old 12th December 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
Yep sorry, you are right in that the standard olympus set PT-04s seemingly won't work with Minolta, Sigma, Sony or Nissin flashes but I remember stumbling upon a modification that will at least get the minolta flashes going, I've spent a few minutes trying to refind the full how to - but so far have only found a breif mention of it here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/shatt0r/580986959/ when / if I find the full text I'll post it up...
Hi Paul
Thanks for coming back and for the flickr link. It's difficult to see on the picture of the transmitter what has been connected to what but I suppose if I buy the bits and open them up, it'll all become clear. Thanks again for all your help.
Old 12th December 2009
Rod Souter

If you read further down the link posted by PaulE all is revealed:

"Okay, so I finally got a replacement Minolta 4000 and did a similar hack on my 16 channel ebay triggers (joining the PC ground to the battery negative terminal). Now it triggers every single time with no problems whatsoever."

Rod
Old 12th December 2009

Thanks Rod
I think I'll try it out if I find my Minolta gear. I've got it somewhere!

Bob
Old 12th December 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yep as far as I can remember that's all it took was one simple wire as per Rods' suggestion. I'm sure that there was mention in the original how to I read that the modification would prevent use with other makes of flashes (ie Olympus, Canon, Nikon etc) so you'd need to remember which had been modified and whch hasn't if you intend getting a few and mixing them.

I've well and truly failed to find that orginal how to that I read only a few weeks ago not sure what happened to it it must still be out on the net somewhere...