Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-30

Olympus E-30 An Olympus 12.1MP upper mid-range DSLR, the E-30.

Old 7th November 2009

Liked 10 Times in 2 Posts
Question High speed photography: shutter lag on the E30

Hi all

I've been doing a lot of high speed photography lately (droplets, splashes & other similar stuff) and have bought a trigger system from the US.

I'm wondering if anybody knows how long the shutter lag on the E30 is?

My experience so far is that even using manual focus, manual WB , it is about 300ms. This is quite long for doing high speed photography. I generally use
f16 because I need the DOF.

I am shooting RAW and not particularly keen on going to JPEG.

Also, are there are any other settings that would reduce shutter lag? Stuff like turning off IS or anything else that makes a difference.

I tried the anti-shock thing but it just introduced yet another delay.

Finally, if anybody is into this as well, I would be interested in a recommendation for a super fast CF card that will make a difference with this problem.

thanks

DK
Old 7th November 2009

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Re: High speed photography: shutter lag on the E30

Have never tried

I guess that if you were on manual exposure and focus with IS off then that should be the fastest set-up, I don't believe having a fast card would assist this.

I assume that you are not trying this with live-view as that would introduce a delay?

Have you any idea what reaction time other cameras have?

Dave
Old 7th November 2009

Liked 106 Times in 54 Posts

I don't know which trigger system you have already but I would suggest using the Olympus remote shutter cable (RM-UC1). Half press the shutter release button to lock focus and exposure and hold it, pressing it fully at the critical moment to take the photo.

Steve
Old 7th November 2009

Liked 53 Times in 42 Posts

MF and manual exposure are the key settings effecting any shutter delay - then you are left with the underlying delay. 300ms seems high though - I would have thought more like 30ms? How are you measuring it?

CF card write speed, jpeg and WB, are going to be downstream and will have no impact on the underlying delay. I would assume you are using a tripod set up so IS should be off - but it won't effect the core lag.
Old 7th November 2009
Administrator

Liked 1,568 Times in 900 Posts
Exclamation Re: High speed photography: shutter lag on the E30

I'm always "Playing About" with different techniques and while the shot below may not be what you are going for, this was done entirely by judgment of the timing using a hand operated IR remote trigger.

I've built Photo-Gate triggers, with adjustable delays to fire the flash and all manner of electro-mechanical systems (including air release) to fire the camera, including Studio 2 teathered control.

This all requires a degree of "Dialing In" of the set-up to get the results you want. Fortunatly digital is a lot cheaper than film and results are immediate.

For droplets and splashes, I always go for a Photo-Gate trigger to fire the flash with the camera on BULB (opened and closed with the IR remote) Timing the delay is better done by adjusting the height of the Photo-Gate trigger from the framing area.

But you will be pleasently supprised at how good you can get at judging the timings by hand, especially if you have a consistent dripping tap or quick responses

Fast cards will make no difference at all (as far as I am aware) but a UDMA card is always a "Nice to Have" for other applications such as high speed sequences.

Have fun and please show us the results

This is one of my concept shots working with snooted flash and shadows

These guys supply some good DIY kits at reasonable prices.
http://www.hiviz.com/

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 7th November 2009

Liked 1,285 Times in 496 Posts

This is not a technique I have tried, but there is another way isn't there?:

Open the shutter in advance, use the trigger to fire the flash, close the shutter when its all over. There would be almost no delay from trigger to flash, however it does assume the ganeral scene is dark compared to the flash.

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 8th November 2009

thx for all the replies guys.

I'm using a system called StopShot (developed by a company called Cognisys in the US). They made a shutter release cable for me that plugs in directly from their trigger box to my camera. The idea is that all I have to do is to trigger an event to kick off the cycle.

The way I'm measuring the shutter lag: I drop a strawberry (through a beam sensor) into a glass with water. The vertical distance that it travels has been measured (sensor to water) 20 inches.

The camera is set to activate 1ms after the strawberry breaks the beam. Based on a mathemical formula I know that it takes 322ms from the strawberry to travel the distance to the water (I know because the camera takes the picture of the strawberry making a splash). If I set the delay to anything more than 1ms, it's too late, I've missed the splash, and all I get is a picture of a martini glass with milk.

I've rounded the number I quote, down to 300ms in case my measuring isn't 100% perfect.

I'm aware that I can do this in a dark room using Bulb, then I don't have the problem of the shutter lag, but I just don't like working in the dark....

I suppose it doesn't hurt to try turning off IS and trying a faster card.

Here is my latest creation using the StopShot, 2 speedlights & Cactus v2 triggers. And I didn't have to turn off the lights to do this

thx

DK
Old 8th November 2009
Administrator

Liked 1,568 Times in 900 Posts

Using cream would slow the strawberry down a bit quicker

I like the idea behind this shot, it's the kind of thing I play about with. As you are into the maths, I'd go for zero delay on the trigger and adjust the drop height to get the timing right. For complete consistency of impact timing everything has to be done exactly the same every time, which can often rule out manual release in favour of a mechanical system.

Getting these just right can take hours and many adjustment to the rigs, unless you are very lucky. Either way it's fun.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 8th November 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
Using cream would slow the strawberry down a bit quicker

I like the idea behind this shot, it's the kind of thing I play about with. As you are into the maths, I'd go for zero delay on the trigger and adjust the drop height to get the timing right. For complete consistency of impact timing everything has to be done exactly the same every time, which can often rule out manual release in favour of a mechanical system.

Getting these just right can take hours and many adjustment to the rigs, unless you are very lucky. Either way it's fun.
thx Graham, using cream (I didn't have any on the day) produces a rather unimpessive splash but I will be experimenting with this further in the future. Trigger does not allow for zero delay, that will turn the trigger output OFF but it does allow something like 50 millionths of a second. I'm getting a 2m stand made for the trigger setup, made of out pipe which would allow me further flexibility.

and yes it's a lot of fun - except for the mopping afterwards

DK