Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 31st March 2019

Liked 661 Times in 234 Posts
ALERT..Hijacked by 'Adobe Genuine Software Integrity Service"

First off, I'm relatively computer illiterate and I'm not accusing this site of anything.

My address box is telling me "Not Secure"---e-Group.co.net

I'm using a MacBook with Kaspersky and Malwarebytes installed, who both, after a scan, tell me I'm 'clean'

I have no Idea where I picked up the 'Adobe' malware pop-up, Google it to take a look.
I did visit a site whilst searching for some nylon webbing and it to displayed 'Not Secure' in the address box also.

Efforts to solve it myself have failed, there a methods on Youtube for Windows but not Mac.

This morning, Sunday, I have a twenty minute appointment with the local 'Apple' dealer for £10 and they may be able to sort it in that time.
Failing that it will mean a complete clean install for £49.5 and could take 4-5 hours.
And of course I'd loose everything because it's not backed up.

It's odd, with my 'Toolbar' displayed the pop-up obscures everything and I'm unable to work. If if hide the 'Toolbar' it seems to hide the 'pop-up' as well and I can work....hence this post.

Watch this space, and check your address box.
Old 31st March 2019
Administrator

Liked 504 Times in 278 Posts
Re: ALERT..Hijacked by 'Adobe Genuine Software Integrity Service"

The not secure message is because this site is using http and not the more secure https

That's not a major issue as it's not banking or e-commerce. We know Ian is looking into software upgrades which will probably support https.

The remaining bits about Adobe things and Mac things i can't comment on

Regards
Andy
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/
Old 31st March 2019

Thanked 1,245 Times in 934 Posts
Liked 5,949 Times in 1,938 Posts

"Adobe Genuine Software Integrity Service" sounds like Adobe licence checking. Is your copy of LR etc legit?
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 31st March 2019

Liked 18 Times in 17 Posts

Hi,

I have started getting the "Not Secure"---e-Group.co.net" message on my iPad when visiting a http site ... as Andy (Shenstone) said this is becuse the site is not https .... this is not an issue. (Unless you accessing a page where you nare having to enter private details i.e. Shopping Cary, Your Online Banking site etc)

Note sure about the Adobe message, I have not seen that ... I don't think you have a virus or any Malware etc .... I think Paul (pdk42) is along the right lines, can you sign into your Adobe account OK?

Dave
Old 31st March 2019

Liked 649 Times in 438 Posts

How old is the MacBook? Depending on age might it be worth getting the dealer to pop in a new SSD, do a fresh install and then you will still have your existing drive to pull data off? Obviously it will cost more than the 49 quid but might be an idea depending on how much you value your data. If you can access the machine normally anyway can’t you copy stuff off to an external drive?
Now isn’t a good time to learn about the importance of backups sadly.
I realise you said Sunday morning so it’s probably all done and dusted by now, but just my .02$ worth.
My money is with the others too who have said it’s unlikely to be a virus.
Old 31st March 2019

Liked 661 Times in 234 Posts

Oke-Dokey !

'Stormfront', Apple accredited, gave me a very helpful free 30 minutes.

They had never heard of the problem, but since I booked the appointment yesterday they are now of the opinion that the 'Pop-Up' is genuine and from Adobe not Malware, perhaps in attempt to get money out of us.
There are numerous accounts on line similar to my experience, users ARE NOT happy, me included.

I did not click the 'learn more' button on the Pop-Up' nor call the phone number.

Yes, I can sign into my Adobe Account, no problems.

The MacBook is about four years old.

My software is 'stand alone' LR6, not CC, with disc and a kosher 24 digit licence number, bought from a reputable dealer.
Were it not genuine surely Adobe would have recognised it at the time I registered it with them.

They, Stormfront, also went on to explain the difference between http and https sites to me.
Question, if this site is Not Secure how does that relate to PM's giving buyers/sellers our bank/personal details?

AND wouldn't-ya-know-it the 'Pop-Up' did not manifest itself in the store nor has it done so since I returned.

This is what it looks like.

IMG_1786 copy by Dave in Wales, on Flickr
Old 31st March 2019

Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,269 Posts
Liked 2,272 Times in 1,079 Posts

Hmm good point about the pm's Dave. An answer to that would be good to get.
Old 31st March 2019

PMs will not be "secure". You should not send truly private data using PMs on a HTTP forum (or frankly any sort of forum). Bank sort code and account number are not in themselves enough to get access to your internet banking, but it's data that you probably wouldn't want to have public so you need to take a view.

However, just how unsafe is HTTP? The difference between HTTP and HTTPS is that HTTPS is encrypted and authenticated. The encryption (obviously) means that if someone intercepted your communications then they can't read the data. The authentication means that you can be sure that the site you're accessing is the site you think it is.

Intercepting internet traffic is pretty easy if you're on the inside of the net - i.e. someone in your ISP or on any of the multitude of servers and network switches that pass your messages from your browser to the final site you are visiting. However, there's A LOT of internet traffic and reputable organisations will have procedures to prevent misuse by employees. So, the risk is probably pretty low, but it's not zero.

OTOH, you need to put your trust somewhere. When Ian adds HTTPS to this site can you then start sending sensitive information with complete certainty? Well, now you need start asking questions about the forum itself. How are the PMs stored on the e-group server? Are they encrypted? Who has access to them? Is the server itself secure to hacking? etc etc. There are no 100% secure systems anywhere!

Me? I'm OK sending bank account and sort code or Paypal ID on PMs, but I wouldn't send the passwords or login details for those accounts - HTTPS or not!
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pdk42 For This Useful Post:
Barr1e (31st March 2019), Phill D (1st April 2019)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Otto (31st March 2019), RobEW (1st April 2019), shenstone (31st March 2019)
Old 31st March 2019

Liked 1,247 Times in 711 Posts

On the Adobe pop up, a couple of people on photography FB Groups I frequent have also reported that today - Iíll check my installation later, because I use a stand-alone Lr as well, purchased around a year ago from a legit U.K. source.

My sole current use of this is to use print profiles for remote printing at theprintspace.com. It would be a right pain if this was a permanent problem (it sounds much more like a typical Adobe c@ck-up to me), but at least I finished the printing I needed to do for our clubís exhibition and my LRPS panel and Iím not planning any more for a while.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
Old 31st March 2019

I think calling Adobe or sending them a mail might be worthwhile. It might be a waste of time, but they're the only people who can answer the question about the pop up.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 31st March 2019

Liked 188 Times in 126 Posts

If you type in the phone number on the pop up into the search bar, you will find it is a genuine Adobe request. There seems to have been "issues" identified in non-genuine software and Adobe have a dedicated team dealing with the problem.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Copy and paste from a Twitter post:

Adobe Customer Care

Verified account

@AdobeCare
Follow Follow @AdobeCare
More
Replying to @auroraprint
Hi Phil, sorry for the trouble. Could you please call the number provided in the pop-up (0800-917-6453)? We have a special team dealing with these issues who can help you here. Thanks. ^Larissa
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jax
The Following User Says Thank You to Jax For This Useful Post:
OM USer (31st March 2019)
Old 31st March 2019
Administrator

Liked 504 Times in 278 Posts

I'm fully aligned with Paul (PDK42) re the advice he gave.
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/
Old 31st March 2019

Liked 846 Times in 541 Posts

Don't forget Adobe was hacked a year or two back and a number of logins and passwords stolen and subsequently put in the public domain, my own included. I have had scammers using that information to try and extract money out of me. They didn't succeed. I'm not saying the pop-up is directly related to that data leak but it's worth bearing in mind.

The Have I been Pwned web site is worth checking to see if your email has been compromised.
Old 31st March 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
Don't forget Adobe was hacked a year or two back and a number of logins and passwords stolen and subsequently put in the public domain, my own included. I have had scammers using that information to try and extract money out of me. They didn't succeed. I'm not saying the pop-up is directly related to that data leak but it's worth bearing in mind.

The Have I been Pwned web site is worth checking to see if your email has been compromised.
Very good point Otto and could very well be related to the current "Integrity Issues" experienced by Adobe.

Jax
Old 31st March 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
Just checked and it's currently indicating a total of 7,835,044,938 accounts that have been compromised. My email has been pwned 5 times but as this was a while ago and I alter the password regularly it's not really an issue. Adobe was indeed one of the five.

Jax