Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 6th March 2019

Liked 647 Times in 436 Posts
Re: So how do you put money in the bank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekW View Post
Infrastructure projects always exceed the estimates because if an accurate forecast was made the project would not even start. So you have to half the realistic estimate and offer that as the project cost. You then have to ensure that you have got another job when the revised costs are revealed.
But these projects have colossal costs. I simply donít believe some of the numbers.
Old 6th March 2019

Liked 685 Times in 295 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wornish View Post
The same thing is happening here in my area of Cheshire with Lloyds Bank. They closed the branch in my nearest town Congleton two years ago meaning I had to go 10 miles to Sandbach if I wanted to put money in or a cheque. Then last December they changed that branch to a no counter service branch just somewhere you can go talk to them! Now the nearest one with counter service is in Crewe which is almost 20 miles from where I live.
Happened in the village where I used to work. One by one the bank branches told. In the end, the only cash machines Co-Op and Tesco. Pretty disasterous for older residents who donít have online banking. And the reasoning is always the same. No one used the branches that always seemed pretty busy whenever I walked by.
Old 6th March 2019

Liked 2,244 Times in 1,485 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Internaut View Post
Happened in the village where I used to work. One by one the bank branches told. In the end, the only cash machines Co-Op and Tesco. Pretty disasterous for older residents who donít have online banking. And the reasoning is always the same. No one used the branches that always seemed pretty busy whenever I walked by.
Online banking? A report out this week says that all of the big High Street banks have problems with IT at least once a week preventing customers from accessing accounts and their money. Whenever this happens they suggest that customers visit their local branch ......

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Internaut (7th March 2019), Keith-369 (7th March 2019)
Old 6th March 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdal View Post
As I understand it, Euro rules mean that Euro banks can't be bailed out directly, so the Greek bailout money went vie Greece to bail out those Euro banks, mostly German, who had been recklessly lending to Greeks. The money they had been lending went, via ludicrous projects, into various business persons pockets. Same as over here and the USA. All a bit of a scam, really.
Similar things happened in Italy when the EU gave (IIRC) around Ä600,000,000 in aid after a big earthquake. The Mafia bought into the concrete industry in a big way, new motorways were built going nowhere, and thousands of houses were built on land that was uninhabitable owing to malarial mosquitos.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Liked This Post:
jdal (7th March 2019)
Old 6th March 2019

Liked 837 Times in 538 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
Online banking? A report out this week says that all of the big High Street banks have problems with IT at least once a week preventing customers from accessing accounts and their money. Whenever this happens they suggest that customers visit their local branch ......
Well, in my many years of online banking with Barclays, Halifax and Santander I have never had an issue. Mind you itís hard to withdraw or deposit cash that way .
Old 6th March 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
Well, in my many years of online banking with Barclays, Halifax and Santander I have never had an issue. Mind you itís hard to withdraw or deposit cash that way .
Some of the bigger IT problems have been reported in the News, along with mobile phone systems failures, but there are many hundreds of smaller failures that go unreported.

I often need to check the bank for incoming payments two or three times a day, and there have been many occasions when I have been unable to log in for no obvious reason. The system usually reports that it doesn't recognise my credentials, even though I have used the same credentials many times before, or it will simply report "system unavailable please try later".

Maybe Barclays needs to upgrade the 486 server in their basement to a Pentium based server, but that means capital investment which won't do anything for Bob Diamond's bonus.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 7th March 2019

Quote:
Some of the bigger IT problems have been reported in the News, along with mobile phone systems failures, but there are many hundreds of smaller failures that go unreported.

I often need to check the bank for incoming payments two or three times a day, and there have been many occasions when I have been unable to log in for no obvious reason. The system usually reports that it doesn't recognise my credentials, even though I have used the same credentials many times before, or it will simply report "system unavailable please try later".

Maybe Barclays needs to upgrade the 486 server in their basement to a Pentium based server, but that means capital investment which won't do anything for Bob Diamond's bonus.
Well, capital investment plus perhaps re-employing some of the many UK IT staff that the banks got rid of.
Old 7th March 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Internaut View Post
Well, capital investment plus perhaps re-employing some of the many UK IT staff that the banks got rid of.
Some of those IT staff knew how the systems worked; and worked with very limited system resources. This knowledge is lost on the current generation of IT staff who seem to be completely out of their depth with anything beyond Windows Server.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
jdal (7th March 2019)
Old 7th March 2019

Thanked 1,149 Times in 1,024 Posts
Liked 1,230 Times in 800 Posts

Tim
Not only does Northern Ireland have differing Banks, these banks also produce their own bank notes.
They had plastic notes long before the English banks but their sterling notes are not accepted in other parts of the UK? I have to get Bank of England notes when I visit my family in Cheltenham!
A lot of our shops accept Euros (at exchange rate) over the counter.

We had Northern Bank ( infamous £29,000,000 raid) this was taken over by an Australian bank then taken over by a German Bank now called
Danske Bank.
We also have........
First Trust.
Allied Irish Bank.
Ulster Bank.
Credit Unions.
The Post Office.
Plus Halifax, Santander etc.
Most towns have ATMs.

Do not think we have Barclays.

So we are well banked over here.

Ed

Ps if I have my wallet with me to TPS I will show you Norn Ireland notes at the Monday meet if you are there.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
TimP (7th March 2019)
Old 7th March 2019

Liked 647 Times in 436 Posts

Quote:
Some of those IT staff knew how the systems worked; and worked with very limited system resources. This knowledge is lost on the current generation of IT staff who seem to be completely out of their depth with anything beyond Windows Server.
Not completely true in my experience but a few I know have little actual technical training and rely totally on Google.
Old 7th March 2019

Thanked 1,478 Times in 1,406 Posts
Liked 1,387 Times in 886 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee man View Post
...Not only does Northern Ireland have differing Banks, these banks also produce their own bank notes. They had plastic notes long before the English banks but their sterling notes are not accepted in other parts of the UK?
Ah, I was up in Newcastle Under Lyme (near Stoke On Trent) the other week and went into a shop that did not accept Irish Banknotes. I hadn't realised until then that there was a problem. I've usually found that most places with universities will accept sterling banknotes from any UK bank.
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
Learn something new every day
Old 7th March 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee man View Post
Tim
Not only does Northern Ireland have differing Banks, these banks also produce their own bank notes.
They had plastic notes long before the English banks

The Isle of Man had plastic bank notes long before the UK too, and it still has a £1 note.
Old 7th March 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
The Isle of Man had plastic bank notes long before the UK too, and it still has a £1 note.
The IOM had a plastic 50 pence note as well. I'm not sure if they still have them but they were certainly in regular use when I last visited a few years ago.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 7th March 2019

Yes, I remember the 50p notes too, quite a novelty as our ten shilling notes were long gone by then!
Old 8th March 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP View Post
Not completely true in my experience but a few I know have little actual technical training and rely totally on Google.
We all rely on Google (and Stack Overflow), these days. There's simply too much to know. Compared to ten or twenty years ago, we exist in a massively complex space. What worries me, with the up and coming generation of workers in tech, is the lack of design skills.