Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Converters, adapters and extension tubes

Converters, adapters and extension tubes All those lens accessories that get in between the lens and the camera.

Old 30th January 2019

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Warning - Fotga branded M42 to M4/3 adapter.

Almost 2 years ago I bought a Fotga M42 to M4/3 adapter from a supplier in China with the expectation of being able to use a Pentax 50mm f1.4 lens on my E-M1.
For various reasons I did not get the lens until quite recently and was disappointed to discover that the results were absolutely dreadful with very rapid and uneven resolution fall-off from the focus point.
Fortunately I had, in the meantime, purchased a more expensive M42 to M4/3 adapter and when mounted on this the lens performed beautifully.
After removing the silver M42 threaded ring from the Fotga adapter I measured the front-to-back depth of the cast 'tube' potion of the adapter and was horrified to discover a 0.85mm variation around the circumference! No wonder the images looked so awful. Had the front-to-back depth variation been just a couple of tenths of a mm I might have assumed it was a problem with the lens.
It's possible this was a 'one-off' or a cheap copy of the genuine Fotga product (mine is clearly identified as "FOTGA M42-M4/3" with the words "DIGITAL ADAPTER" in very small type below the name Fotga), but I suggest that anyone that has a similar product (or any adapter or extension tubes) take very careful measurements before putting them into service.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fotofundi For This Useful Post:
Keith-369 (30th January 2019), Zuiko (30th January 2019)

Tags
adapter, fotga, m42