Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M5

Olympus OM-D E-M5 The first Micro Four Thirds camera from Olympus with an integrated Electronic Viewfinder

Old 14th December 2018

Liked 272 Times in 112 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Melaka
Re: From E-510 to OM-D E-M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvendetta View Post
£99 brand new at HDEW. Absolute bargain IMO!
Maybe slightly grey....but at that price......
I bought a lens from HDEW and they were very quick to honour their own guarantee when a problem arose. I would be happy to use them again.

EM1i, EM5ii, EM10ii
Old 14th December 2018

Liked 712 Times in 478 Posts

Some years ago I bought the m43 40-150 from a forum member (sorry, can't remember who or exactly when). It is lovely, very light weight, and can produce excellent results. Here is one I trot out from time to time, shot at maximum zoom and wide-open aperture on an E-M5:

John
The Following User Liked This Post:
Jim Ford (14th December 2018)
Old 14th December 2018

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

This camera is nothing short of amazing! I absolutely love it...Canít wait to get snapping. Just wondered what size card is recommended? Also whatís the deal with the 5X zoom Iíve no idea what happened last night but I magnified my view by 5X, but when I tried to shoot it seemed to revert back to normal?
Old 14th December 2018

Liked 847 Times in 542 Posts

The zoom only magnifies the viewfinder image which can be helpful when using manual focus. It has no effect on the image recorded on the card. There's no recommended card size I don't think. I usually go for 8GB or 16GB, plenty of room but if something goes wrong you don't lose so much as you would with a 64GB for instance. The trade-off is that with smaller cards you might need to carry more with you .
Old 14th December 2018

Liked 429 Times in 207 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupkin View Post
This camera is nothing short of amazing! I absolutely love it...Canít wait to get snapping. Just wondered what size card is recommended? Also whatís the deal with the 5X zoom Iíve no idea what happened last night but I magnified my view by 5X, but when I tried to shoot it seemed to revert back to normal?

I use 16GB cards too but now I'd probably go 32GB - you don't have to fill them before you swap and I'd like the extra headroom for some video now and then. Get fast cards to minimise your waiting time between shooting and shooting and powering off the camera.

The zoom setting you came across may be related to the focus point.
There is a setting that will zoom the screen on the selected focus point when you adjust the focus manually - either half pressed shutter or without.
My E-PL5 does it when I press the "Magnifying Glass" button but jumps out when you press the shutter. The details are in the manual somewhere
Old 14th December 2018

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Cheers all, much appreciated. Will probably go for a 32GB card then, ah thanks for clearing up about the 5x zoom AMc!