Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 11th July 2018

Liked 931 Times in 358 Posts
Infra red

Some time ago I bought a converted infra red camera. Not sure where from, maybe from someone on here. It is of the other brand MFT but suits me at the mo. I haven't used it much but recently saw some decent IR pics which inspired me to get to grips with it. So I am asking for any advice re IR. I would like to know how I find out what wavelength my camera has been converted to. I am busy searching youtube for tutorials, be nice to see one in English:-)

Just realised I had asked questions re IR back in 2016 so i will have a read of those.
Old 11th July 2018

Liked 207 Times in 136 Posts
Re: Infra red

You might find the selection of IR filtered images in my post at https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showpos...3&postcount=14 of use in deciding which filter you have
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeOxon For This Useful Post:
sapper (11th July 2018)
Old 11th July 2018

Liked 2,253 Times in 1,487 Posts
Re: Infra red

The visible spectrum is generally held to be from about 390 nanometres (violet) to 750 nanometres (deep red), but this varies slightly from person to person and also depends on the intensity of light, (just as our hearing drops off at high and low frequencies).

Ultraviolet light spans the spectrum 10 nanometres to 400 nanometres, so shorter than that of visible light but longer than X-rays.

Infrared energy extends from the red end of the visible spectrum at about 700 ~ 750 nanometres to one millimetre.

Digital cameras are 'converted' to infrared by removing the infrared filter from the CCD. This filter is fitted to improve colour rendition, without which some colours (particularly strong reds and blues) would almost appear to glow or 'fluoresce' owing to the effects of the invisible infrared energy.

I am not sure of the spectral sensitivity of converted cameras, which in any case will vary from one type of sensor to the next, but I do know that many are used with software to detect subtle differences in temperature for fault detection in engines and electrical equipment, and in non-destructive testing. Their sensitivity is such that they can see temperature differences of a few C in castings at room temperature, so it would be safe to assume that their sensitivity goes far beyond any photographic requirements.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naughty Nigel For This Useful Post:
OM USer (12th July 2018), sapper (11th July 2018)