Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 18th April 2018

Liked 419 Times in 201 Posts
New Licence anyone...??

So the driverless cars are probably needing you to take a new test and have a new licence !! Can't see the point, I'd rather keep awake and alert and drive as I normally do in a standard car....I can see the insurance companies making a killing on the insurance for these....anyway we already have driverless travel it's called a train and I would much prefer that to a driverless car...

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/d...id=mailsignout

Peter...
OMD-EM1 Mk2, 40-150. f2.8Pro, MC-14 converter, 7-14mm 2.8, 17mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8G, OM50mm 1.8, OM 28mm F2.8, OM 200mm F4 Giottos Silk Road YTL8384Tripod Giottos MH5011 head FL36 and other bits and bobs...
“I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.”
www.flickr.com/photos/141996687@N02/
The Following User Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (19th April 2018)
Old 18th April 2018

Thanked 1,246 Times in 935 Posts
Liked 5,950 Times in 1,939 Posts
Re: New Licence anyone...??

I wouldn't believe anything I read on MSN.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following Users Liked This Post:
jdal (19th April 2018), shotokan101 (19th April 2018)
Old 18th April 2018

Thanked 1,379 Times in 1,274 Posts
Liked 2,281 Times in 1,082 Posts

I'd like to think my trains still have a driver
Old 18th April 2018

Liked 125 Times in 84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
I'd like to think my trains still have a driver
DLR in London is generally driverless :-)
Old 18th April 2018

Was on the BBC website this week, and I think it was a link to the Daily Mail !!, although I don't take too much notice of newspapers these days..

I meant me driving , my son and brother are train drivers, I just can't see how it will work effectively...1 person has already been killed in the USA,my point was if you need a test to just sit watching in front of you in case you need to take over what is the point!!
OMD-EM1 Mk2, 40-150. f2.8Pro, MC-14 converter, 7-14mm 2.8, 17mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8G, OM50mm 1.8, OM 28mm F2.8, OM 200mm F4 Giottos Silk Road YTL8384Tripod Giottos MH5011 head FL36 and other bits and bobs...
“I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.”
Old 18th April 2018

Liked 1,247 Times in 711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocknroll59 View Post
...1 person has already been killed in the USA,my point was if you need a test to just sit watching in front of you in case you need to take over what is the point!!
Just as a benchmark, around 100 people are killed per day on American roads by or in drivered vehicles. We don’t hear very much about them on the front page of U.K. newspapers, do we?

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
Old 18th April 2018

Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts

So these driverless cars will be watching out for cars on a collision course with them, and braking to keep their occupants safe...

So if you see one approaching you (with priority) at a junction or roundabout and pull out in front of it, it will brake to avoid hitting you...

So once every driver cottons on and starts pulling out in front of them...

Will driverless cars ever complete a journey???

Black OM-D E-M1 MkII, Silver PEN-F, Black Lumix GX7, and too many lenses!
Old 18th April 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJJE View Post
So once every driver cottons on and starts pulling out in front of them...

Will driverless cars ever complete a journey???
Yes, especially the 10-year-old-Vauxhall-Nova driving, baseball cap on backwards brigade!

Also, driverless cars will communicate with each other and be able to take avoiding action in advance.

So on both counts it’s the drivered cars that will be the source of the trouble.

Too much Oly gear.
Old 19th April 2018

We're talking ratios here...number of driverless cars on the road? probably less than 100, cars with drivers on the road, tens of millions...

I'm talking about the need for a licence to just sit in these vehicles!! What is the point if insurance companies are going to say ..'you've made a claim as you have crashed etc etc but we cannot pay out as you were not watching at the time of the accident'...with the recent hacking of various apps, computers etc etc how long before the Russians take over driving our cars
Old 19th April 2018

Thanked 1,116 Times in 699 Posts
Liked 1,451 Times in 726 Posts

So, we're expecting a serious hackking issue in the very near future with utilities, and other infrasteucture etc., at serious risk of disruption. Joe Public in the main, is expected to ward off serious hacking attempts and we add yet more risk elements to the mix.

There's been a warning regards Chinese routers etc., with BT saying we have robust security measures blah, blah, blah. I've checked my various 'Chinese routers' over the years and, my most recent - a week old - guess what? Yep! It's on the hit list.

I've found this link useful... Just remember, nothing is completely fool proof. https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-hack...router-2487654

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Old 19th April 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocknroll59 View Post
We're talking ratios here...number of driverless cars on the road? probably less than 100, cars with drivers on the road, tens of millions...
Yes, of course, I was just pointing out that the current situation is wildly unacceptable, but we have become accustomed to it. Self guided vehicles need time to prove themselves because the potential for saving human lives and injuries is massive.

New things and changes to accepted practice always generate concern and unwarranted fears - as those forum members old enough to remember the mandatory imposition of seat belts will recall.

This is interesting: https://avsincities.bloomberg.org

Too much Oly gear.
Old 19th April 2018

Liked 2,253 Times in 1,487 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
Yes, of course, I was just pointing out that the current situation is wildly unacceptable, but we have become accustomed to it. Self guided vehicles need time to prove themselves because the potential for saving human lives and injuries is massive.

New things and changes to accepted practice always generate concern and unwarranted fears - as those forum members old enough to remember the mandatory imposition of seat belts will recall.

This is interesting: https://avsincities.bloomberg.org
We routinely kill eight or nine people a day on our roads in the UK (3,000 a year), and maim many more. These figures have improved significantly over the past twenty years or so owing to the improved design and safety systems incorporated into modern cars, but the numbers are still too high.

Put it another way, these figures represent twenty fully loaded 737 aircraft falling out of the skies over the UK every year, or several busy commuter trains crashing with all passengers perishing.

Somehow it has become socially acceptable to kill or be killed on the roads, to the point that we rarely hear about individual road deaths, and is only when several people are killed in one incident that the newspapers take an interest.

Unfortunately the authorities have only used this as an excuse for making money by persecuting otherwise safe drivers for straying a few MPH over speed limits in carefully selected locations, rather than improving the standard of driving generally.

I'm not sure that I like the idea of driverless cars as I still enjoy driving up to a point, but I must admit there are occasions, usually in nose-to-tail traffic on the M6 that I wish the car would just drive itself, or that I could have a lift home on the back of a transporter!

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
drmarkf (19th April 2018)
Old 19th April 2018

Drifting off the course here...my point is about a new licence not driverless cars and the ratio of deaths between now and in 25 years time. Firstly no one knows how these vehicles will operate on our roads and how many people will be killed by them if you do know give me next weeks lottery numbers please

My point again is the insurance companies will make a fortune out of driverless cars as surely the insurance would be for the vehicle not the driver as we are not controlling it !! (apparently), so there we are driving along in our controlled car talking about where we are going with the wife, suddenly BOOM we hit someone or something unexpected and beyond the control of the car, we are supposed to be keeping our eyes on the road to take control if a incident happens, so that's the debate, seatbelts are a completely different issue and with respect part of the ongoing safety of vehicles for many years, not seed change which takes away control of the vehicle from individuals to who knows who. If facebook can sell/give details away easily how will you be able to stop all the data on these cars being 'stolen'.
Also when sat navs came into play it did and still does take people in places where they should not go, (it happened to me, a police road only up onto the motorway I was astute and awake enough not to go there.)

So getting back to my point can't see the point of needing a new licence.
Old 19th April 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnheatingman View Post
Why would you expect to read about USA collisions ?
Because the driverless vehicle death was in the US.

Anyway, back to the original topic...

Too much Oly gear.
Old 19th April 2018

Liked 2,253 Times in 1,487 Posts

A driverless car will almost certainly need to be 'programmed' by the driver in much the same way that the autopilot on an aircraft must also be programmed with course, cruising altitude, coordinates and so forth. There will also be other requirements for safe operation.

If there was no need for a licence then presumably anyone could 'drive' a driverless car including those disqualified for drink driving or driving under the influence of drugs.

Furthermore, driverless cars are not autonomous, so presumably it would be perfectly possible for our disqualified driver to override the controls to jump lights, exceed speed limits and so forth.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Johnheatingman (19th April 2018)