Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II The second Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 23rd February 2018

Thanked 1,300 Times in 1,015 Posts
Liked 1,942 Times in 1,079 Posts
"Unobvious Things about Olympus E-M1 II"

I've always thought I don't need to buy a book as there is enough information available online & I can work it out for myself from the manual & playing with the camera. Well, I saw Tony Phillips youtube video about his book (& PDF) & maybe my money wouldn't be totally wasted if I bought it & I might actually learn something new. Actually, I did from this video clip & I also believe if one doesn't learn something new in life each day then life just becomes stagnate.

So here is the video. Enjoy.

I guess he will need to update it though after the FW 2.0 becomes available.

Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ross the fiddler For This Useful Post:
benpanesar (23rd February 2018), griffljg (18th March 2018), OM USer (7th March 2018), rkc (23rd February 2018), steverh (7th March 2018)
Old 23rd February 2018

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Re: "Unobvious Things about Olympus E-M1 II"

Thanks for posting this - I learned something from it (and I thought I had read the manual pretty thoroughly). Has anyone bought his book?
Old 23rd February 2018

Thanked 1,245 Times in 934 Posts
Liked 5,948 Times in 1,938 Posts

Well, maybe I've studied the menus too much, or used the camera too much - but I found the contents of the video pretty rudimentary. Using the IBIS to reduce your ISO? - sounds pretty obvious to me
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 23rd February 2018

Liked 332 Times in 107 Posts

I only recently discovered the `superfine jpeg` option which as far as I could see was not mentioned in the manual. Discovered thanks to this forum! Not sure why Olympus chose to conceal it. Many people on here seem to agree that the Olympus menu system is not its crowning glory.

Tim
The Following User Liked This Post:
iso (26th February 2018)
Old 23rd February 2018

Liked 205 Times in 134 Posts

Don't forget, though, that IBIS can not correct for subject movement, so those tricks for longer exposures or lower ISOs only work with static subjects.
Old 23rd February 2018

Thanked 1,245 Times in 934 Posts
Liked 5,948 Times in 1,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 090657 View Post
I only recently discovered the `superfine jpeg` option which as far as I could see was not mentioned in the manual. Discovered thanks to this forum! Not sure why Olympus chose to conceal it. Many people on here seem to agree that the Olympus menu system is not its crowning glory.

Tim
Maybe I'm weird, but I like Olympus menus!
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 23rd February 2018

Thanked 1,300 Times in 1,015 Posts
Liked 1,942 Times in 1,079 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
Well, maybe I've studied the menus too much, or used the camera too much - but I found the contents of the video pretty rudimentary. Using the IBIS to reduce your ISO? - sounds pretty obvious to me
Yes, that part is obvious, but the bit on non-Olympus manual lenses etc from 2min 51secs to 5:00mins showed me extra details on custom lens details etc that I haven't bothered with at this point so found it informative. Mind you, I haven't checked the manual on that bit yet either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
Maybe I'm weird, but I like Olympus menus!
Yes, they work for me too, but then I've been using them since the E410 DSLR. It's just continued to get more complex with each model, but it's fairly logical (most of the time).
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 7th March 2018

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I bought Tony Phillips' book the other day in pdf version and having got my EM1ii in January I found it very useful and a lot easier to glean information than by using the Olympus manual. For each topic he covers he puts in a number of tips that are very informative and useful.
Ross the fiddler (7th March 2018)
Old 8th March 2018

Liked 3,305 Times in 1,533 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 090657 View Post
Many people on here seem to agree that the Olympus menu system is not its crowning glory.

Tim
Alas with any complicated system, the system is complicated, if that's not too obvious.

Like most systems, eg Photoshop, they look complicated because they can do so much. My only moan is that they use words I don't understand. But I suppose that what its all about.

The Oly menus are complicated, but you have to work at them to understand them and get the best from them. They certainly yield so many option..............

My Flickr
Ross the fiddler (8th March 2018)
Old 8th March 2018

Liked 1,246 Times in 710 Posts

The key thing to do (which apparently never is by those who knock Oly for the complexity of their menus) is to use the menus to set up the 'hard' dials, levers and buttons on the hardware to do what you want in the way that you want to do it. Then you almost never need to go in to the menu system at all (apart from perhaps at the beginning of a particular shoot to set a few rarely-adjusted items, like focus range).

The system is therefore excellent for those who use it enough and are dedicated enough to learn & configure it, but understandably frustrating for most people.

This I think is one reason why Fuji X cameras are so loved by a lot of people - when you are new to the system or to serious photography itself you just look down on the top of the camera and all your important settings are laid out in hardware for you, and the 'hard' dials plus the aperture ring are superby ergonomic to use. When you want to do anything more complex, however, you realise that the bodies aren't as configurable as Olympus, and their own menu system, 'Q' menu etc is just as hard to use as Oly's.

As for Sony's A system, up to and including the 'II' models the menu system is less complex than Oly's, but is even more poorly arranged, and there are major restrictions on configurability. For example there are only a limited number of things you can set for Button C1 to do (etc), which is amazingly frustrating as you get to know the kit better. It looks like the latest generation has at last improved that, but that's based only on hearsay.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
Ross the fiddler (8th March 2018)