Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk

Accessory talk Those important extra system components.

Old 2nd January 2018

Liked 354 Times in 102 Posts
Peak district book

Not sure this is an accessory as such, but I've bought a book called "Photographing the Peak District" by Chris Gilbert and Mick Ryan from the Fotovue series/website. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to include a link, but this is it! http://www.fotovue.com/shop/books/ph...-peak-district

In my opinion it really great piece of work, so I thought it was worth a heads up on here, in case if any of you are interested in the area but aren't aware of the book. It's excellent quality, full colour and stretches to almost 500 pages covering 150 locations and viewpoints with images, maps, directions etc. Its a book I will refer to again and again I'm sure.

It is a paperback, but would be nicer as a hardback (although I knew that before I bought it).
My only gripe is that index is by area, which is great, but I feel there should be an alphabetical one too.

It is one of a series of books covering Cornwall to Scotland and numerous areas between, at least a couple of which I'm sure I will get too.

Also worth noting is that it is available a few pounds cheaper than the cover price from various online book retailers.

Well that's the end of the book review!!
The Following User Says Thank You to chris For This Useful Post:
IPWheatley (3rd January 2018)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Johnheatingman (2nd January 2018)
Old 2nd January 2018

Liked 846 Times in 238 Posts
Re: Peak district book

I received the Scotland version of this at Christmas and although it attempts to cover a huge area it appears to be a very useful resource.

E-M5 II, E-M1, E-M1 II, 7.5, 8-18, 12-40, 25, 40-150, 45, 60, 300

Website
Flickr
Old 2nd January 2018

Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,269 Posts
Liked 2,271 Times in 1,079 Posts

I got one a couple of months ago and can second Chris's recommendation. It's an excellent reference and also a good read. Lots of little insights that you just wouldn't pick up otherwise. Really liked the weather section and tips where to go in different conditions. Chris Gilbert also does really good photo day out workshops in the Peak.
Old 3rd January 2018

Liked 1,246 Times in 710 Posts

I've actually got 'The Photographer's Guide to the Peak District' by E Bowness: I've used it quite a bit on my 3 most recent trips and have found it useful when combined with an OS map and several weather apps. It's only £12.95 (£10.95 on Wordery, I see).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Photographe.../dp/0992683424

I'll keep an eye out for the other one and see how they compare.

I do have the North Wales book in the fotovue series you mention, Chris, and that has been helpful (but only used on one trip so far).

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
Old 3rd January 2018

Liked 184 Times in 125 Posts

I saw the Gilbert & Ryan book the other day while visiting relatives in Tideswell, in their home. I know the Peak district quite well and am a bit ambivalent abut books which tell you the best viewpoint and time of day for a particular scene. I quite like finding my own preferred viewpoints, and hope I might just come up with something a bit more original. I find something similar in photo club competitions - the judges sometimes recognise a much photographed scene on the other side of the world, and say they prefer a version of the shot taken from a few yards to the right. Makes it seem a bit hackneyed.
Old 3rd January 2018

Liked 354 Times in 102 Posts

Fair comments Rob, but I think it’s a great starting point if you don’t know an area. In this digital day and age, I still like nice books too, and for me, it’s definitely one of those.
RobEW (3rd January 2018)
Old 3rd January 2018

Liked 1,246 Times in 710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEW View Post
... I quite like finding my own preferred viewpoints, and hope I might just come up with something a bit more original. I find something similar in photo club competitions - the judges sometimes recognise a much photographed scene on the other side of the world, and say they prefer a version of the shot taken from a few yards to the right. Makes it seem a bit hackneyed.
Indeed.

Went to Yosemite last year and tried very hard to come up with some non-clichéd compositions (as well as the hackneyed ones, of course!). I put a couple of quite unusual ones in 2 different projected image competitions, and both judges said something like "Well, if the photographer had aimed further left from 20y to their right they'd have got something better...".

Well, I'd have got the exact same shot 10,000 other photographers got that year, but my light probably wasn't as good as most of theirs!

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
RobEW (3rd January 2018)
Old 3rd January 2018

Liked 184 Times in 125 Posts

I'm not interested in winning competitions anyway, but do get pleasure from observing, composing, capturing, and viewing my own images. Sharing and getting accolades are nice too, but I'm not massively attention-seeking about it.
chris (3rd January 2018)